• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thief of Thieves

2,194 posts in this topic

To the people that have been reading this: Is there enough scope in Thief of Thieves for 100 issues to be realistically acheivable?

Yes, because it looks like Kirkman is going to introduce a ton of supporting characters that I'm sure will have rich backgrounds. I think he could have got to issue 75 or even issue 100 before he introduced Redmond's crew. The story about his relationship with his family, the way it fell apart because of his life of crime, etc. is a lot of material to work with. Whether or not a TV series will take off is another story. Regardless, I'm in for the ride and have been hoarding copies of this book since it came out. lol Issue one was scary bad but each and every issue thereafter was better than the last. I think this book is going to keep moving in the right direction for the foreseeable future.

To the people that have been reading this: Is there enough scope in Thief of Thieves for 100 issues to be realistically acheivable?

i'd rather talk about what might happen in the next 5 issues than 100 issues. i don't see 100 issues happening, and won't, until this book at least gets into the 30's-40's and is still good and popular.

i agree with Hawkman.

Yes, because it looks like Kirkman is going to introduce a ton of supporting characters that I'm sure will have rich backgrounds. I think he could have got to issue 75 or even issue 100 before he introduced Redmond's crew. The story about his relationship with his family, the way it fell apart because of his life of crime, etc. is a lot of material to work with. Whether or not a TV series will take off is another story. Regardless, I'm in for the ride and have been hoarding copies of this book since it came out. lol Issue one was scary bad but each and every issue thereafter was better than the last. I think this book is going to keep moving in the right direction for the foreseeable future. I have quite a few copies to sell and you all need to buy them.

A little more to the point. :whistle:

as long as there's something to steal, and he's still alive, and someone is out to get him or his family...there will be stories to be told.
...and get "old" really fast. 2c

i never thought a zombie book could last as long as it has...how many different ways can people die or kill stuff.

as long as there's something to steal, and he's still alive, and someone is out to get him or his family...there will be stories to be told.

i never thought a zombie book could last as long as it has...how many different ways can people die or kill stuff.

Actually, there's been signs of series "fatigue" since after issue #48. :shy:

Yes, because it looks like Kirkman is going to introduce a ton of supporting characters that I'm sure will have rich backgrounds. I think he could have got to issue 75 or even issue 100 before he introduced Redmond's crew. The story about his relationship with his family, the way it fell apart because of his life of crime, etc. is a lot of material to work with. Whether or not a TV series will take off is another story. Regardless, I'm in for the ride and have been hoarding copies of this book since it came out. lol Issue one was scary bad but each and every issue thereafter was better than the last. I think this book is going to keep moving in the right direction for the foreseeable future. I have quite a few copies to sell and you all need to buy them.

:lol:

What will be real interesting to see is how much of a readership drop-off there is when Kirkman stops writing this series (so after issue 7) - Image doesn't exactly have a good track record for long running series where the main creative force isn't involved directly in the book.

What will be real interesting to see is how much of a readership drop-off there is when Kirkman stops writing this series (so after issue 7) - Image doesn't exactly have a good track record for long running series where the main creative force isn't involved directly in the book.

Kirkman is going to keep writing (i.e. plotting) He plans to have a rotating cast of writers on the book.

Except WD isn't just about zombies. That's why it has lasted.

i'd rather talk about what might happen in the next 5 issues than 100 issues. i don't see 100 issues happening, and won't, until this book at least gets into the 30's-40's and is still good and popular.

(thumbs u Seems reasonable.

Honestly, from the first six issues of Walking Dead, I never would have guessed it would become the juggernaut it did, nor anticipated some of the major curveballs the series would offer up. (This was quite literally true, as I read the first TPB, said 'eh, not bad but I get the idea...', and another year or two passed before I bothered to pick up the rest... and today it's my favorite modern series.) So, not sure we can answer that question from what little we've seen so far, especially knowing that Kirkman is in charge of the larger plotting.

Kirkman is going to keep writing (i.e. plotting) He plans to have a rotating cast of writers on the book.

Plotting (or "overseeing", as they call it in the article that was linked previously) isn't the same as actually writing the book.

Do you think that if Kirkman had given up the writing reins of WD early on in the series it would have become the success it is today? I certainly don't ...

"Kirkman: It's been a lot of fun to be able to play with this genre, and it's an absolute blast working with all these different writers. We work together to plot the course of these characters. It's kind of a "writers room" concept."

It's his story to tell and from issue #1 he has had guest writers. Nothing has changed

Plotting (or "overseeing", as they call it in the article that was linked previously) isn't the same as actually writing the book.

Do you think that if Kirkman had given up the writing reins of WD early on in the series it would have become the success it is today? I certainly don't ...

By that definition, Kirkman hasn't written a single issue of the series. Nick Spencer is the writer of the first arc with Kirkman plotting. I think the real question is if there will be a drop off when Spencer rotates off the book, because Kirkman's role will remain unchanged. As long as his replacement is competent the book should be fine.

Tough questions to answer. hm

'Plotter' is a term that can really vary. It's tough to know how much Kirkman is in the story; does he craft every twist, or simply tell his writer to get from A to B? Does he see the finished pages and suggest dialogue? Any way you cut it, though, Kirkman's involvement isn't changing after issue 7.

It all may be irrelevant, though. With the promise of an AMC series, people are likely to continue to follow the book, in the hopes of catching another WD.