• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Grade do you collect?

Golden Age  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Golden Age

25 posts in this topic

There's a lot of discussion here about high grade books. I'm wondering what grades folks generally collect in, by age. I'm using CGC grade ranges, but if you collect raw, just map into them. I'll assume that Modern collectors prefer VF+ or better.:

good to see a few more people will consider good mid grade stuff. I really love 9.0+ books, but I'm nearly as happy with a 6.5-8 and then to occasionally luck into a 9+ silver book is awesome.

No matter what age the book is,always I buy what I can afford.If there is a well presenting big key with good page quality, that's good for me.Copper through Modern are 9.8s,but I have alot of big keys that are in the 3.5-5.0 range in my sig. line that I am more than proud to own. :cloud9:

No matter what age the book is,always I buy what I can afford.If there is a well presenting big key with good page quality, that's good for me.Copper through Modern are 9.8s,but I have alot of big keys that are in the 3.5-5.0 range in my sig. line that I am more than proud to own. :cloud9:

Yep, in order for me to afford most keys, I've had to dip down into the 3-4 range, but always looking for a well presenting book.

Very hard for me to go below 3 -- it's going to make it hard to get my first FF 1, AF 15, or ASM 1 . . . but those may end up being the last books I buy in those runs anyway.

Thanks...when I bought them I didn't even know I'd have them for all these years. I remember

having to decide if I should spend my dime for a new comic...or spend it on a new YO-YO.

mm

I said I was grading my GA books and they were graded between 4.5 and 6.0...now I got

my ALL-STAR #38 graded at 6.0...my FLASH #98 at 5.5 and my CAPTAIN AMERICA #60

at a 7.0. Wow...surprise, surprise. Next I guess I'll try my BATMAN #47 and SUPERMAN #53.

mm

I said I was grading my GA books and they were graded between 4.5 and 6.0...now I got

my ALL-STAR #38 graded at 6.0...my FLASH #98 at 5.5 and my CAPTAIN AMERICA #60

at a 7.0. Wow...surprise, surprise. Next I guess I'll try my BATMAN #47 and SUPERMAN #53.

mm

Wow. Great books Marty! You bought them all off the stands right? Amazing.

Yes...most of them came from a newsstand on Bloomfield Avenue in Newark, NJ.

I only wish I had bought more...but in those days a dime was hard to come by.

mm

As a new collector, my first goal is just to find and replace the books I had as a kid. Late 60s - 70s. Some books like ASM 90 - 130 and Mike Grell 's Warlord series really meant a lot to me so I have no issue spending a bit more for those. I have yet to try the waters of GA, but when the time comes I am pretty sure they will be 3.0 and lower already CGC'd.

Cheers.

I love old comics to look like they're not new. The patina of an old comic, even through a slab has a charm all of its own. So for me if it's silver age, around 5 to 7 is my sweet spot.

Anything after the mid 70s however, needs to be a topper.