• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Introduction of the Bronze Age?

57 posts in this topic

Giant-Size X-Men #1 is the Showcase #4 of the Bronze Age.

There; I've lost several of you already. Now, for anyone open to a voice of dissent, let's go this direction... If we're going to assign ages to comics, let's be consistant about it.

For those who are positive that all the comics of the 1970s are bronze, (and I'm not saying you're wrong, BTW), then the best answer to the question "What is the Introduction of the Bronze Age?" is New Year's Day, 1970.

Just my 2c

When I reached a similar point in my thinking, I observed that there was already too much of the collecting community entrenched in a much older way of thinking. A paradigm shift wasn't going to occur. There were too many hits tied to the established sense of what "Bronze Age" means. GS X-Men was a bit of a sleeper, as I recall. It counts for more in hindsight.

Given the idea of Bronze Age = 70s, it implies that the idea of ages is more about setting a time frame than about categorizing waves of change in the comics industry.

A new idiom would be better for anyone trying to do a more objective analysis of the significant contributions that have led the industry to its current state.

My 3¢

Marvel books cost 25 cents BEFORE they cost 20 cents. Same thing with DCs, I believe. Marvel jumped their prices from 15 cents to 25 cents for a short while before setteling for the 20 cent price point.

I consider the squarebound Marvel 25 cent books as BA, as do most people.

Marvel books cost 25 cents BEFORE they cost 20 cents. Same thing with DCs, I believe. Marvel jumped their prices from 15 cents to 25 cents for a short while before setteling for the 20 cent price point.

I consider the squarebound Marvel 25 cent books as BA, as do most people.

Sorry, I was talking about comic books, not Marvel stuff. :)

Rather than one comic, I would say it began January 28, 1971.

Brownie points for who knows why without googling it. It is a legit date related to the entire comic industry.

I saw a case being made similar to this on an old eBay comics forum thread, although it was regarding the start point of a different age.

To me, the 15 cent comics still "feel" like Silver Age comics, and then something changed during when the books went to the 25 cent squarebound Marvels and the 52 page DCs.

I know that is not the popular line, but I think it is more significant than trying to pick out a certain character which brought in the Bronze Age. Yes Conan #1 and GL #76 were amazing books that changed comics, and they may have ushered in the bronze age of comics, but to me Bronze Age is defined by the 52 page DCs and 20 cent Marvels and DCs.

To me, the 15 cent comics still "feel" like Silver Age comics, and then something changed during when the books went to the 25 cent squarebound Marvels and the 52 page DCs.

I know that is not the popular line, but I think it is more significant than trying to pick out a certain character which brought in the Bronze Age. Yes Conan #1 and GL #76 were amazing books that changed comics, and they may have ushered in the bronze age of comics, but to me Bronze Age is defined by the 52 page DCs and 20 cent Marvels and DCs.

This is close to my thinking! Cover prices are more significant than any particular character(s) and a lot easier to keep track of. One difference is I might argue that the Bronze Age should have began when the prices changed to $.15. When prices changed from $.12, where they had been for many years it felt like the end of an era. Happening in the latter part of 1969 it also coincides well with the end of the 60's.

Rather than one comic, I would say it began January 28, 1971.

Brownie points for who knows why without googling it. It is a legit date related to the entire comic industry.

I'll play.  It's what I was talking about earlier, maybe?

A more permissive Comics Code. Official changes to it? (shrug)

I did originally think it might have been Jack Kirby moving from Marvel to DC, which was around the same time, but that's not as all-encompassing as the former.

I can understand your rationale here, just as I think some of the obvious comic shifts also occur before the move to these formats that are distinctly "bronze" relative to the previous decade.

I never thought of this angle for ushering in a new era for comics. I like it.

That's what I was was trying to say before.