• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series trade weekend discussion

488 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'd like to start planning the next SS trade weekend and would very much like to hear any suggestions that anyone may have.

After the last one I would definitely like to suggest, as I think it would be very helpful to all those participating that when you see a book posted that you're interested in you list the book and who it belongs to. MedicAR did this last time around and it seems like a great idea to me.

It would also be nice to adopt the VCC method of listing with thumbnails rather than full size scans. It's pretty easy to do. Link

I was thinking the weekend of March 3rd & 4th since there doesn't seem to be much going on that weekend as far as cons go.

Hi all, I'd like to start planning the next SS trade weekend and would very much like to hear any suggestions that anyone may have.

It would also be nice to adopt the VCC method of listing with thumbnails rather than full size scans. It's pretty easy to do. Link

+1!!

Im voting for prices on everything!

My suggestion for pricing would be to not necessarily assign a value to the book, rather state what you'd list as the asking price if put up for sale. This leaves room for negotiation without turning people off when presumed values don't coincide. Just a thought.

My suggestion for pricing would be to not necessarily assign a value to the book, rather state what you'd list as the asking price if put up for sale. This leaves room for negotiation without turning people off when presumed values don't coincide. Just a thought.
That sounds good hm

That sounds good hm

I like a suggested price. Personally what I want to avoid is the whole idea that I value my book at $300 and along comes Mr Trader who values his books at $150. I could see someone taking it personally when the trade offer is rejected if offering the same dollar value.

The idea of trading these to me is to avoid the whole pricing game. 2c

+1

I don't get the whole pricing thing. On rare stuff, it is a complete crapshoot anyway. On stuff that doesn't trade a lot you have to put your value on multiple sigs, toughness of sigs etc.

Assigning values defeats the purpose of trading. Trading is about nothing more than two people swapping books. If I have a book "worth" 300 bucks, but I only have 50 bucks in it, that is a ton of play that I have to make a good trade. Just putting 300 on it may keep people from putting deals that they think are not rich enough on the table.

There is no reason to do it. It dumbs down an already simple process.

Placing a value on an item is interesting. When I think sale price I think of a little profit in the price. When I think trade, the value I put on the book would be close to cost in most cases. hm

The last time I saw Phil Jimenez at a show, he was sketching for free for everyone (I don't know if he changed his stance on sketching since). I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would value one of his graded sketches at "cost", which would essentially be grading fees and a blank.

Listing an "I'd sell this book for $$$" value helps to eliminate any guesswork. It also compensates for books with sentimental value to the owner. I've got 1 or 2 books that I've only got $50 or so into them and I'd need at least 10x that much in order to part with it. There were a couple of books I was interested in during the last trade weekend that I was very close on the actual value but WAAAAY off on the perceived value. These turned out to be dead ends, albeit very fun and friendly dead ends.

Placing a value on an item is interesting. When I think sale price I think of a little profit in the price. When I think trade, the value I put on the book would be close to cost in most cases. hm

The last time I saw Phil Jimenez at a show, he was sketching for free for everyone (I don't know if he changed his stance on sketching since). I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would value one of his graded sketches at "cost", which would essentially be grading fees and a blank.

Listing an "I'd sell this book for $$$" value helps to eliminate any guesswork. It also compensates for books with sentimental value to the owner. I've got 1 or 2 books that I've only got $50 or so into them and I'd need at least 10x that much in order to part with it. There were a couple of books I was interested in during the last trade weekend that I was very close on the actual value but WAAAAY off on the perceived value. These turned out to be dead ends, albeit very fun and friendly dead ends.

In the case of freebie sketches I agree. But I don't think I would try to profit off of a sketch that an artist did for free for me. ( note that I do heavily tip artists that do freebie sketch that I may sell one day)

I guess I would not put a sketch I value as much as 10 times the value up for trade. My opinion is that for me to put something up in a trade thread, I can't have a great amount sentimental value for it.

But like you said putting a value on the books eliminates a lot of problems.

That's where the negotiating come in...

I'm definitely down for some SS trading action but the pricing thing seems a little sticky. I imagine that perceived vs. actual value is often not going to align. If I posted an Alan Moore signed Watchmen 1 9.8 (note: not a real example) that cost me $200 and some good timing and put it up in the trading post with a "want value" of $3K am I just opening myself up to criticism? Although I suppose the point of a trading post is to put the books out there and assign a value as a starting point for negotiation. hm If I got a lowball offer I do always have the option of declining. Thinking out loud...

With that said, I want to start trading now. Sounds like fun.

From the sounds of it this may be a point of contention. Let's just make it optional.

Any other suggestions out there? I'd really like to make this a regularly scheduled event (kind of like the VCC) and have a more established set of guidelines. The one thing that may hinder this as far as I can see is the turnaround time on submissions. Making it a quarterly event may not be providing enough time for everyone to have new stuff back that they're looking to trade.