• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAIL RIP-OFF

39 posts in this topic

Just wondering what you all thought of this. I won an auction of early avengers and seller states $6.75 for "standard mail". I received the comics in good time but they were sent media mail in an bubbled envelope without boards or anything. To top it off the media rate was $2.26 and about half were overgraded and half were undergraded. My question to you is: "Is media mail, standard?"

Just wondering what you all thought of this. I won an auction of early avengers and seller states $6.75 for "standard mail". I received the comics in good time but they were sent media mail in an bubbled envelope without boards or anything. To top it off the media rate was $2.26 and about half were overgraded and half were undergraded. My question to you is: "Is media mail, standard?"

The moral here: understand shipping terminology used by the various shippers (FedEx, UPS, USPS) and if they are using non-standard terminology--get some clarification.

As to the overgrading, give him feedback. Keep it factual, not inflamatory in the eBay feedback, but feel free (when e-mailing the seller) to take your foot and ... thumbsup2.gif

I agree. Always ask for clarification. Even now, I forget to ask and people will still send media and be charged for "top level" shipping. Leave appropriate feedback, especially if the description doesn't mention a handling charge.

I know when doing ebay's invoice, the default is standard mail. Sometimes I forget to switch to media mail or whatever I'm using, and you can't fix it until three days have elapsed, you could only send another email. I'm assuming before you leave any sort of feedback you've contacted the seller to see what options there are.

Standard mail is a horribly vague term and almost sounds like an eBay default option off their listing menu. I make it a point to clearly state our shipping practices in our auctions and if the auction is a special case that doesn't follow suit, I list that as well. By all rights he should have indicated that media mail was his "standard shipping" and certainly shouldn't have charged triple postage. If he makes a habit of this, which is pretty obvious shipping profiteering, report him to ebay trust and safety. They just might go after him especially since it's money out of their pocket.

Media mail is NOT standard mail. I say e-mail him with the problem you have with what he did. If you don't get satisfaction, report him to ebay. You don't have to accept things like shipping profiteering.

Standard mail is a class of mail for bulk mail

'Standard Mail™ offers a lower price on postage for the work you perform. For Standard Mail, you must do some of the work the Postal Service would otherwise do. The work you do in terms of preparing, sorting, and entering your mail can lower your postage costs. An annual mailing fee of $150 is required. The mailpiece must weigh less than 16 ounces.

Standard Mail requires a minimum of 200 pieces or 50 pounds per mailing. It can not be used for sending personal correspondence, handwritten or typewritten letters, or bills and statements of account. Rates are based on weight, shape, preparation, and entry. Automation rates are lower than nonautomation rates.' from the USPS website

1st class is ...well 1st class

media mail is "special mail" old term was special 4th class, or book rate

Seller should always disclose cost of shipping and shipping method. Most do not so always ask.

Here is how they get away with it...shipping and HANDLING.

SCUMBAGS (and I use the term lightly ) on EBAY like to charge $5 - $10 for shipping and handling. The shipping cost $1.41 and the HANDLING ...you know, packing your damn comic, costs $8.59 wink.gif

To be fair, I know that envelopes, tape and old cut up card board boxes cost money...but it is getting to be a way of padding the actual price of an item. Online retailers do this A LOT. You'll see a video card that is $13 cheaper than anyone else....then get hit with $16 in S&H and they make their $13 right back.

I ship everything FedEx and the reason is that it gets there hella fast, they pick up and deliver AND it isn't much more than USPS overnight shipping.

I bought one comic from a seller, modern book,

I paid for priority mai, flat rate but he sends it via media mail for 1.42.

I email him him back for a refund on the shipping, his response follows:

"sorry I forgot to place your comic in a priority envelope, I did

that for a few this round, and I must have missed yours. The Shipping

AND Handling for this auction was 3.49. Plainly and clearly stated. I

will break down the charges for you:

Photo mailer: .81

Ebay listing: .40

Paypal fee: .52

Media Mail: $1.42 or $1.84

Bag and board or stiff sleeve: .13

So that is how I arrive at $3.49

I'm glad you received your book and sorry again about missing the

priority envelope. I am refunding your extra $1.42 as soon as I mail

this to you."

He did refund my money, $1.42.

I replied back

"Well, you just lost a customer due to your shipping costs. It's your "cost" to put up auctions and not the buyers problem. Thanks for the refund. Good luck and thanks again."

---

One auction, I even threatend one seller, your shipping costs are too high, I was going to bid on more of your auctions, but I can't afford your high shipping costs.

Of course, he replied back and stated he won't raise the shipping costs for sending 4 books.

Email the seller if you think the shipping is too high, you may get a break.

what about insuring the item? FedEx automatically does $500, right?

SCUMBAGS (and I use the term lightly ) on EBAY like to charge $5 - $10 for shipping and handling. The shipping cost $1.41 and the HANDLING ...you know, packing your damn comic, costs $8.59 wink.gif

To be fair, I know that envelopes, tape and old cut up card board boxes cost money...but it is getting to be a way of padding the actual price of an item. Online retailers do this A LOT. You'll see a video card that is $13 cheaper than anyone else....then get hit with $16 in S&H and they make their $13 right back.

I ship everything FedEx and the reason is that it gets there hella fast, they pick up and deliver AND it isn't much more than USPS overnight shipping.

what about insuring the item? FedEx automatically does $500, right?

Nope....you have to pay extra for insurance. Plus, they limit the insurance to $500 for "collectibles". I don't know if you can buy more if comics are your full-time business and you can argue that it is inventory instead! confused-smiley-013.gif

That sucks. You should NOT have to pay for their listing or paypal fees. I think you should forward that e-mail to Ebay. I hate profiteers.

BTW I would have waited for my refund before spouting off. insane.gif

Isn't it illegal to charge the paypal fees to your customers? Something about not giving a cash discount and the credit card companies?

I bought one comic from a seller, modern book,

I paid for priority mai, flat rate but he sends it via media mail for 1.42.

I email him him back for a refund on the shipping, his response follows:

"sorry I forgot to place your comic in a priority envelope, I did

that for a few this round, and I must have missed yours. The Shipping

AND Handling for this auction was 3.49. Plainly and clearly stated. I

will break down the charges for you:

Photo mailer: .81

Ebay listing: .40

Paypal fee: .52

Media Mail: $1.42 or $1.84

Bag and board or stiff sleeve: .13

So that is how I arrive at $3.49

Of course charging the seller for the paypal fee's is illegal, I believe, and charging the buyer for either the ebay fees or the paypal fees is against ebay's rules. Simple....This guy broke the rules and you should report him to ebay..atleast you got a refund...most guys would just say "screw you"...also good ole ebay....you buy something...the sellers breaks the rules and charges for ebay and paypal fees as well as over charging for shipping and when you neg him...you get one back...good bless ebay...of course I will not start the "when should a buyer get feedback" debate...

oh yeah and I think that this is my 100th post!!! acclaim.gif of course I am sure that to many of you 100 posts is confused-smiley-013.gifsleeping.gif