• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gil Kane Cover Thread
6 6

632 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Ghost Town said:

Great books, Frisco. The Thor #207 cover is one of my favorites.

Thanks! I've recently been turning some attention to the Bronze area of my collection and although I've seen them all before, I've been reacquainting myself with books that I haven't seen in such a long time (focused more on Golden Age and Silver Age) that as crazy as it sounds, it's almost like I'm seeing them for the first time!!! I dig that Thor #207 too and I like the redrawn collaboration of Kane & Romita on the GS DD #1 quite a bit!!! It's cool to see the results of 2 great artists working together!!! I've always dug Kirby pencils and Ditko inks as well!!!  (thumbsu 

4 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I dig that Thor #207 too and I like the redrawn collaboration of Kane & Romita on the GS DD #1 quite a bit!!! It's cool to see the results of 2 great artists working together!!! I've always dug Kirby pencils and Ditko inks as well!!!  (thumbsu 

What do you mean by redrawn collaboration?  I thought the GS DD cover was inked by Frank Giacoia.

20 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

What do you mean by redrawn collaboration?  I thought the GS DD cover was inked by Frank Giacoia.

GS DD #1 reprints Daredevil annual #1 but it has this new cover, not merely a reprint using the cover from DD annual #1. The CGC label states, "Gil Kane & John Romita cover" which doesn't specify anything more than that, like for example, one did pencils & one did inking, either way, unless CGC is wrong (could be, they sometimes are), this is a collaborative effort by both artists. 

1 hour ago, Ghost Town said:

I think CGC goofed up on the label. Grand Comics Database has Giacoia inking the cover. And those don't like Romita inks. Great book and cover in any event.

Grand Comics Database 

That's certainly possible and there's nothing standing out as looking like Romita pencils in there, so yeah, that's probably the case. I didn't check GCD, just went by the label. I DO like this take on the DD annual #1 cover though. I like it when they redo covers, like several of the Marvel Tales issues not simply reusing the same cover from the Spider-Man run. 

Gil Kane is one of my least favourite artists of all time. His characters all look like those poseable wooden figures at art shops, with really weird anatomy. And all those ugly up-the-nose shots + knock-kneed poses.

His cover to X-Men #76 pretty much captures everything I don't like about ol' Gil!

Edited by kustomizer
extra thoughts

On 2/14/2012 at 2:44 AM, seanfingh said:

Gil Kane was an essential part of my childhood love of Marvel Comics. His covers conveyed dynamic action better than virtually any other artist. He was prolific, fast and good. The Editors must have loved him even more than I did. I loved his lizards, dinosaurs and monsters the most. :cloud9:

He always drew dinosaurs with snake-like heads. I can't believe he was assigned the Jurassic Park comics.