• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tricks/settings for scanning slabbed books?

12 posts in this topic

I just got a new Mustek A3 USB scanner so I could take scans of the entire CGC holder, and I have tried all sorts of settings, but all the scans come out blurry. Scans of raw books look fine. I was scanning on my 4-year old HP R80 multifunction, and the scans looked good, besides chopping off the bottom since it only scanned 8.5 x 11.

Any insight would be appreciated...

The problem is that the book is suspended inside the CGC case instead of resting directly on the platen. This positions the book almost half an inch above the scanner surface. If the scanner glass itself is recessed in the scanner, this differential is even more pronounced.

You scanner is calibrated to scan things resting directly on the surface.

I'm not sure if there is a way to change the focus on the cheaper scanners. I'll check around for you though.

I have the UMAX Astra 2100U and the only problem it has scanning the slabs it the scan is very dark, but never out of focus. You can boost the brightness and contrast and it comes out perfectly, check out my scans in the Golden Age section. I paid $40 for the scanner! It was $70 with a $30 rebate! 893whatthe.gif

Timely

I would love to be able to help you, but ever since the big blackout last year, my scanner only converses to me in Portuguese. That's right, no matter how many times I reinstall it, it will only load in Portuguese. confused-smiley-013.gif

I would love to be able to help you, but ever since the big blackout last year, my scanner only converses to me in Portuguese. That's right, no matter how many times I reinstall it, it will only load in Portuguese. confused-smiley-013.gif

well bom dia to you as well Alex

thumbsup2.gif

well bom dia to you as well Alex

thumbsup2.gif

Luckily I don't have to do any adjusting to the settings. foreheadslap.gif