• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBG vs. Wizard

63 posts in this topic

No, as of next week CBG is a MONTHLY mag.

CBG website

YIKES! 893whatthe.gif that's a bad call maggie, i dunno drice....but both mags cater to a different crowd. i'm curious to see what becomes of the marketplace ads in CBG. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ummm, marketplace ads are toast I think.

This is an area that screams for an online presence.

Does anyone know if they provide their magazine in the online format? If I were them, I'd be concentrating on an Internet presence if they haven't already done so.

They do provide their magazine online, but for subscribers only. I believe they waived this restriction for the Dupcak expose, since we were all able to access it the day it went up without any password or other authentification. They also had a free email headline service, but that seems to have disappeared since about the same time as the Dupcak piece. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

....I wonder if Chuck will continue his Tales from the Database. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Isn't that stuff just recycled material anyway? confused-smiley-013.gif

May be recycled in terms of old stories Chuck has told elsewhere, but the Tales from the Database column gets published first in CBG, and then gets loaded on the MH website later. (CBG buys first publication rights, not exclusive rights, and I'm not sure what the lag is between CBG and when it hits Chuck's website)

you guys have already made great points and covered evrything. But Ill give it a try anyway!

CBG has been a shallow read for years now. I used to really look forward to it each week. I used to pore over the ads looking for books -- not any more!. I also used to read the letters - - not any more. they are silly and just not about anything I care about. Their news releases are old and recycled press releases from publishers. Their staff columnists are not interesting to me either: cant read Chuck anymore; Peter David has gotten old and irrelevant; Mr SDilver Age Ill scan over but you know, after 40 years of reading comics, I just dont care to read character bios and discuss plot anomolies and weird powers and villains!! Their revies are never about books I follow... and really, who cares what those reviewers think? Not me.

I DO read the eBay auction pages and see the sales reports. I guess thats all, though I do still go thru it page by page.

I think going monthly will not help them. Basically, I think we're gonna get the same old stuff just less often. Plus a lot more of those stupid boxed issue by issue summaries of titles like their recent standalone issues.. Wizard on the other hand is a well thought out package of teen irreverence, humor and comics "coolness". I dont read much in it either, but its clear to me that its appeal will remain far stronger than whatever poor overworked Maggie will ever be able to come up with. Wizard is dense with stuff and comics details and COLOR!! CBG is, well, tacky and boooring. I suppose they could be like CBM....but how successful are they to be a role model???

Am I being too rough on them?

They also had a free email headline service, but that seems to have disappeared since about the same time as the Dupcak piece. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CBG still sends out their weekly e-mail. Comes in every Friday like clockwork. Maybe you fell off their addressee list?

Jim

They are dropping the trader ads. Don't know if they will still be doing showcase.

After thinking a sec about it, I think CBG will be better off with a monthly mag. Most times I start to read it seems sparce. I would like to see more content involved. Perhaps a better stock of paper, and more pages. Some of their classified pages need a lot of work, sometimes they are very hard to read.

I think generally CBG has "more stuff, less fluff" - i.e. I don't care to read about the latest toys in Wizard, see pictures of people dressed up in homemade superhero costumes, read the term "fanboy" for the nth time. I want to read about comic books.

However, there are some things that annoy me about CBG. For example, while they do an excellent job of listing the week's CGC sales in detail, for some reason they haven't updated the "CGC price index" for *six months*. I would think they are publishing this index as a research tool, so what's the point? A casual reader might think paying 0.84 X Overstreet VF for a CGC 8.0 comic is fair, but a) while that is a precise number, it is not an accurate number; and b) wrong price guide (they only say they refer to the Krause price guide in the fine print in the back pages).

Wizard is flashy and fluffier to be sure. But the discussion centers around whether CBG will do BETTER as a monthly competing with Wizard and the rest. And clearly, Wizard's style and 'voice' speaks to far more kids and other readers than CBGs stuffy maggie=style old fuddy duddy approach can or will. I dont really 'like' either....but dont think the monthly move is going to save CBG from whats killing them. Their loss of back issue ads has taken its toll. So they are forced to attempt to boost readership editorially with better research and articles. I dont think they can pull it off based on what they have been turning out for ten plus years.

They probably should use their number crunching people and just concentrate on what Overstreet is attempting with their monthly. Somehow I get the feeling they will fritter away their whole month of prep time (which must seem leisurely for them NOW!) trying to do everything at once: be Wizard, Overstreet, price guide, CBM, and CB all at the same time...and accomplish none of it very well.

there will be 4 of them, or one 4 times as long.

Hi sletters getting printed is a perfect example of how awful and desperate CBG is for content. No one of interest ever bothers to write to them anymore....

The question I have is.....

Is a monthly CBG going to have a Chris Juricich letter in every issue now? 893frustrated.gif

Jim

27_laughing.gif I think this is the main reason I dropped my subscription. It was like the typical thoughts of anyone who was anti CGC for the sake of being anti-CGC. He didn't seem to have a clue as to the workings of anything and just took a general apparent flaw and ran with it in his weekly rants. after a while it just becomes a snoozefest.

And to answer your question Jim, I think they'll accommodate him with his own "Juricich dialogues" for the monthly, where he writes a letter and answers himself in his classic arrogant and clueless manner foreheadslap.gif

Subscribed to CBG since 1998 and I tired of it last year. At least Wizard is an entertaining read and is more informative of what is going on in Modern comics and their storylines. The prices are laughable as is their toilet humor skits/parodies and light articles. No one can ever accuse Wizard of taking themselves to seriously.

It was like the typical thoughts of anyone who was anti CGC for the sake of being anti-CGC.

Admit it, in your eyes, anyone who is anti-CGC is merely so for the sake of being anti-CGC. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

good point MK, I'm anti-MajorKhaos for the sake of being anti-MajorKhaos.