• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to combine eBay shipping with Paypal Buy-It-Nows

8 posts in this topic

There's a few Buy-It-Nows I'd like to pop from the same seller on eBay. Seller is overseas and lists standard shipping of $x per item. While the listing said nothing about reduced combined shipping, I emailed the seller beforehand and got a response and approval for reduced/combined shipping on additional items.

But how do I buy the items in practice? Because they're Buy-It-Nows, I need to pay immediately (via Paypal) for all items, which means effectively overpaying by $30 because there's a disparity between what eBay says shipping is and what the seller has messaged me.

Wouldn't be an issue if seller didn't require Paypal--there'd be a "request invoice" option, but they're Buy-It-Nows.

Any advice? Do I have to request a charge-back to the seller for the $30 overpayment?

You shouldn't have to...

I believe you should be able to buy the items and NOT pay immediately and the seller can send you a revised invoice and adjust the shipping costs...

That's my understanding at least...

+1

Either do that or try this:

have the seller cancel all the auctions, lump all the books you want to buy in a SINGLE auction with the correct shipping amount, then just buy that lot.

Same result and even easier for you both....just takes a few min for him to cancel his current auctions and relist them...

Does the seller state in his listings that he cannot combine shipping with an immediate payment option? I had to start doing this. Here is why. On a BUY IT NOW option with immediate payment; PayPal will not allow you to combine shipping on multiple purchases won. Neither will ebay. Before you attack the seller, understand this; if two items are paid separately on PayPal, then in order for the seller to be fully covered by the PayPal protection policy (to my knowledge), he has to ship two separate packages with unique delivery confirmation or tracking numbers. I called PayPal about this before, because as a seller I had a buyer try to tell me to just ship them both together and refund the difference. If you pay twice and he cannot show two separate tracking numbers; he, as a seller, will not be covered under the PayPal protection policy. This is what PayPal told me.

He should state that he will not combine shipping on these kind of items in his listing though. Otherwise he does not have a 'leg to stand on.'

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Does the seller state in his listings that he cannot combine shipping with an immediate payment option? I had to start doing this. Here is why. On a BUY IT NOW option with immediate payment; PayPal will not allow you to combine shipping on multiple purchases won. Neither will ebay. Before you attack the seller, understand this; if two items are paid separately on PayPal, then in order for the seller to be fully covered by the PayPal protection policy (to my knowledge), he has to ship two separate packages with unique delivery confirmation or tracking numbers. I called PayPal about this before, because as a seller I had a buyer try to tell me to just ship them both together and refund the difference. If you pay twice and he cannot show two separate tracking numbers; he, as a seller, will not be covered under the PayPal protection policy. This is what PayPal told me.

He should state that he will not combine shipping on these kind of items in his listing though. Otherwise he does not have a 'leg to stand on.'

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

That is not my experience; either Ebay or Paypal, they only require receipt of delivery or signature confirmation on purchase in excess of $250. Both allow you to enter delivery confirmaiton information and they do not bar you from using the same number twice.

The seller here, should refund you the combined shipping difference. As a buyer, this has happened to me in the past. It was wise for you to contact before hand so that, if he does not, then you have an Ebay message trail of your attempts - if things should not go accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

That is not my experience; either Ebay or Paypal, they only require receipt of delivery or signature confirmation on purchase in excess of $250. Both allow you to enter delivery confirmaiton information and they do not bar you from using the same number twice.

The seller here, should refund you the combined shipping difference. As a buyer, this has happened to me in the past. It was wise for you to contact before hand so that, if he does not, then you have an Ebay message trail of your attempts - if things should not go accordingly.

You are correct, but when the buyer calls PayPal and tells them it is the same number; you may be in trouble. This is why PayPal has always recommended that you ship two packages if you took two payments. Refunding the difference can get you into trouble as noted. I have been advised this multiple times by PayPal that finally I started to state in my listings that I no longer combine shipping on items that require immediate payment. In the end, as a seller, PayPal has no one's interests but their own.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

You are correct, but when the buyer calls PayPal and tells them it is the same number; you may be in trouble. This is why PayPal has always recommended that you ship two packages if you took two payments. Refunding the difference can get you into trouble as noted. I have been advised this multiple times by PayPal that finally I started to state in my listings that I no longer combine shipping on items that require immediate payment. In the end, as a seller, PayPal has no one's interests but their own.

could not agree more!