• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on top census copies?

48 posts in this topic

I'd call many of the $.30 and $.35 cent variants rare. On the one hand, we've accounted for what--four complete sets through these boards? Five?

On the other, if Iron Fist 14 $.35 has ~50-60 copies extant, it will likely have far more long-term demand than the Superman: Bradman (with what--25 copies? 50?)

I've seen 4 copies of the Bradman for sale over the last three years vs. one Iron Fist 14 $.35.

i wonder how rare these books would be if CGC dropped slabbing costs to $5 or something ridiculous like that
Agreed. That was one of my points earlier. As the squeeze continues to happen (costs to slab increase, decreased selling prices) I suspect we'll see lesser numbers of non-demand books.

I'd call many of the $.30 and $.35 cent variants rare. On the one hand, we've accounted for what--four complete sets through these boards? Five?

On the other, if Iron Fist 14 $.35 has ~50-60 copies extant, it will likely have far more long-term demand than the Superman: Bradman (with what--25 copies? 50?)

I've seen 4 copies of the Bradman for sale over the last three years vs. one Iron Fist 14 $.35.

Are you talking about 9.0 IF 14s or any at all? Over the course of about 15 months, I had been checking eBay nearly every day, I ended up either the under bidder or missed the BIN by a few hours on about 4 copies. I finally got a 7.0 off the boards last year.

I think anyone in this thread claiming that any bronze age book is rare is talking about rare in high grade.

Nobody is claiming any bronze or silver age book is rare.

I think anyone in this thread claiming that any bronze age book is rare is talking about rare in high grade.

I would also contend that no Bronze is "rare" in high grade (subject to discussion on what is rare) but that we won't necessarily see them in the census due to demand or ROI for others to submit them.

So now that I've said it...someone fill in the holes of my HG bronze horror titles... :sumo:

Are you talking about 9.0 IF 14s or any at all? Over the course of about 15 months, I had been checking eBay nearly every day, I ended up either the under bidder or missed the BIN by a few hours on about 4 copies. I finally got a 7.0 off the boards last year.

He's talking about the 35 cent price variant.

So was I.

I would also content that no Bronze is "rare" in high grade (subject to discussion on what is rare) but that we won't necessarily see them in the census due to demand or ROI for others to submit them.

I'm sure there's plenty of truth to that. But there are a decent number of bronze books like Special Marvel Edition #4 and Marvel's Greatest Comics #34 that stand out as being very underrepresented in the census. Books from the same title that were released in the surrounding months are far easier to find in high grade. But for whatever reasons, these books are not. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples too.

I wouldn't claim that more high grade copies of these books don't exist; there are probably some out there sitting raw in collections or undiscovered warehouse finds. But I'd still have no problem saying they're rare in high grade.

TIMMMAAAYY!!!

Does anyone actually believe that the prices Josh of Comic Link paid for the CGC 10 Wolverine Limited Series was a good investment? I honestly think this was done more out of publicity for Comic Link; then as an investment. This is just my opinion.

I talked to Josh about this book a while back and he does believe it will be a good investment. I believe he paid $5K for it. And I could see it selling for more than that at some time in the future. But, I don't really consider Wolverine 1 a bronze book.

The market for mint bronze books and the market for 9.8 bronze books is very different. The population of pre-1980 bronze books in 9.9 or higher is not growing very rapidly. Prices for these books are currently trending at around 10x9.8 on the rare occasions when they come up for public auction.

Intersting discussion.

Rare in high grade... low in print production... investment speculation... sold by

distributors via the back door before going to the newsstand...

Jeez. Who would have known or who would have cared back then about .20¢ comic

books?

In any event, after 5 years of aggressively seeking out and collecting High Grade CGC

Comics from the Bronze Era, Bruce Coller (aka BronzeBruce) decided to compile a list

of comics in the highly-coveted NM/MT CGC 9.8 Grade.

The following BronzeBruce exposé was written back in 2006. Six years after the launch

of the Certification Age!

Now let's fast forward another six years and reread Bruce's interesting article while

noting which books remain just as elusive as there were back then, and which books

have become, well, plentiful to a high-grade numerical degree (any ideas as to why?).

98GPA.jpg

Where are all the Bronze CGC 9.8's? Part 1 of 3 by Bruce Coller

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_newsfocus.asp?article=article000003

98GPA2.jpg

Where are all the Bronze CGC 9.8's? Part 2 of 3 by Bruce Coller

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_newsfocus.asp?article=article000002

98GPA3.jpg

Where are all the Bronze CGC 9.8's? Part 3 of 3 by Bruce Coller

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_newsfocus.asp?article=article000001

Great stuff. I know there was a thread last year that updated some of these (Hero For Hire 1, Werewolf 32, Marvel Spotlight 5), but I'd love to see Bruce try his hand at updating a full set of articles now that another 6 years have past.

Reckon we'd see a lot more DC horror on the list.

Yeah, Witching Hour #1 and Weird War #1 both now have 9.8s (they look accurately graded), still no Ghosts #1 and HOM #174 in 9.8 and #175 is still downright very scarce. After collecting bronze horror there are still gaps (granted not that many, but I was hardcore looking from 2004-2007) of any copies.

Granted he's talking "keys"...I'm talking about issues from a completist standpoint.

Intersting discussion.

Rare in high grade... low in print production... investment speculation... sold by

distributors via the back door before going to the newsstand...

Jeez. Who would have known or who would have cared back then about .20¢ comic

books?

In any event, after 5 years of aggressively seeking out and collecting High Grade CGC

Comics from the Bronze Era, Bruce Coller (aka BronzeBruce) decided to compile a list

of comics in the highly-coveted NM/MT CGC 9.8 Grade.

The following BronzeBruce exposé was written back in 2006. Six years after the launch

of the Certification Age!

Now let's fast forward another six years and reread Bruce's interesting article while

noting which books remain just as elusive as there were back then, and which books

have become, well, plentiful to a high-grade numerical degree (any ideas as to why?).

98GPA.jpg

Where are all the Bronze CGC 9.8's? Part 1 of 3 by Bruce Coller

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_newsfocus.asp?article=article000003

98GPA2.jpg

Where are all the Bronze CGC 9.8's? Part 2 of 3 by Bruce Coller

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_newsfocus.asp?article=article000002

98GPA3.jpg

Where are all the Bronze CGC 9.8's? Part 3 of 3 by Bruce Coller

http://comics.gpanalysis.com/gpaforcomics_newsfocus.asp?article=article000001

...and to think I really believed at the time that those census numbers would only increase marginally from the established pace.

:makepoint::roflmao:doh!

(at least for the higher profile keys, semi-keys, etc. I felt the "under the radar" stuff was just that, and would eventually come, especially post-74 books)

Maybe the pre '74 census numbers could have remained pretty stable (well, closer anyway) IF the comic grading dynamic remained more "what is the grade" instead of evolving into "what can the grade become". Not that I'm complaining or blaming... I was right in the middle of it too.

I miss the "gold rush" CGC days very much. What a great time. So much energy, rekindled passion, and wonderfully obsessive behavior all around. The forums crackled with electricity... :cloud9:

I miss the "gold rush" CGC days very much. What a great time. So much energy, rekindled passion, and wonderfully obsessive behavior all around. The forums crackled with electricity... :cloud9:

...it was a lot of fun back then,...I can remember when there were no copies at all of certain books on the census and what a thrill it was to get the first 9.4 let alone a 9.8,...hey Bruce,... :hi:

...it was a lot of fun back then,...I can remember when there were no copies at all of certain books on the census and what a thrill it was to get the first 9.4 let alone a 9.8,...hey Bruce,... :hi:

So true... great fun indeed!

Hope all is well with you, John :headbang:

Ironically, some of my early CGC era 9.4s look better than the 9.8s churning out from them now.