• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GI Joe questions

10 posts in this topic

I was wandering and looking for advice on purchasing a book, GI Joe #21.

I know it has always been a luke warm book because it was the "silent" book.

Does anyone think it will grown any more in populArity bc of the new movie

Found a first print copy for $15 locally and just wandering if u guys think this

book has any potential. Not trying to sale anything just wanted some opinions on whether

this would be a good investment or not

Wow, nobody bothered to answer your question all day, huh?

G.I. Joe #21 is the first appearance of Storm Shadow, probably the second most popular G.I. Joe character after Snake Eyes.

The book is not luke-warm because it is the silent issue. The book is luke-warm because it was heavily speculated on before the first movie came out, and prices have been tumbling ever since.

Add to that the fact that there are tons of copies out there, and I would say the book's investment potential has probably peaked.

(I suppose Hollywood could make an all Storm Shadow movie someday, which would give the book, perhaps, a little lift.)

Maybe if you had 9.8 copy, you would make some money, but anything below that isn't worth slabbing.

However, it is an awesome issue. Read it and enjoy!

Yeah this issue had crazy stupid speculation before the movie. I remember higher grade raw copies going for around $400 or more at the peak that you can get for really cheap now so lots of people got burned. I sold my high grade copy for a nice sum and bought another copy recently for a fraction of the cost I sold it for. Of course there are people still trying to sell these BIN at really over inflated prices. But as stated above there are just tons of copies out there and it is a great read.

As a GI Joe fan since the beginning issue #21 is just awesome. I still remember how cool it was when it first came out. All my buddies and I were blown away by it. I still own my copy and every once in a while I will pull it and thumb through it. If you are a GI joe fan then I say buy it, if you are buying it for investment reasons than save your money and leave it there for a GI Joe fan to buy and enjoy.

Came across this while looking for another scan and thought I'd share. Turns out that the "silent" idea was tried out at least once previously. This is from the 50's version of GI Joe, #24.

Read the description at the bottom of the page. Joe is about to buy it and an Eagle saves his bacon.

gijoe24.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe:_A_Real_American_Hero_(Marvel_Comics)

Hama explained that the motivation for the story was that he "... wanted to see if [he] could do a story that was a real, complete story—beginning, middle, end, conflict, characterization, action, solid resolution—without balloons or captions or sound effects."

I remember higher grade raw copies going for around $400 or more at the peak

Definitely higher. Peasofcrap had the third 9.8 in the census, and sold it for $2,000 (maybe slightly higher than this). And I knew of a $1,700 offer he had received, and thought he was crazy to turn it down.

Now I know better. Always count on someone wanting a book so badly, they'll jump the financial Grand Canyon to own it.

:ohnoez:

Definitely higher. Peasofcrap had the third 9.8 in the census, and sold it for $2,000 (maybe slightly higher than this). And I knew of a $1,700 offer he had received, and thought he was crazy to turn it down.

Now I know better. Always count on someone wanting a book so badly, they'll jump the financial Grand Canyon to own it.

The highest sell price for a CGC 9.8 was in 2009 - $3050; that's some crazy cash for a book you can pick up now for $350 or less...

(For full disclosure I will admit I paid more that $350... but it was only a 3 digit number!)

The highest sell price for a CGC 9.8 was in 2009 - $3050; that's some crazy cash for a book you can pick up now for $350 or less...

(For full disclosure I will admit I paid more that $350... but it was only a 3 digit number!)

It was once that huge price came out that more and more high grade copies appeared, thus forcing down the price. At the time there was only 1 9.8 copy...now there are 45 9.8 and 122 9.6 copies!