• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

'Tec 27 CGC 1.8 Original owner on eBay

76 posts in this topic

I think 150k is pretty optimistic but strong bidding forthcoming

So based on this "people" like this copy a great deal more then the heritage 2.0?

The heritage copy has beter page quality, less tape, is centered better even if the Kane is partly cut off (which is the case on most copies anyway) and has a lot less overall damaged especially to the front cover. The colors might not be quite as bright but they seem pretty nice to me.

I just doesn't see why this ebay copy will sell for more or even the same amount.....

James G

This eBay copy has better pq than the heritage copy (not the other way around) and visually presents better from fc. I totally get why it will sell for more (thumbs u

Whoops yea

Ebay OW-W

HA- OW

Not the end of the world on that IMO.

I disagree I think all the creasing adn tears on teh ebay copy make it look worse. At least teh HA copy has one big point of damage rather then a ton of smaller tears and damage.

I also hate tape so that would be a huge factor IMO.

James G

I am not a big fan of tape either but that top left corner was such an eyesore for me that I just couldn't bring myself to bid. I just would not have been happy to own. At least this copy presents nicely for a 1.8 and a copy I would be fine owning (and I would remove the tape! It was just recently applied so should be easily removed)

I am not a big fan of tape either but that top left corner was such an eyesore for me that I just couldn't bring myself to bid. I just would not have been happy to own. At least this copy presents nicely for a 1.8 and a copy I would be fine owning (and I would remove the tape! It was just recently applied so should be easily removed)

Define, easily. meh

While the tape might not have had time to break down, or seep into the comic. The cover was literally taped to the interior. This is not easy to get at without soaking both the cover and outer wrap as a whole.

Even if you removed the tape carrier with heat, the adhesive typicaly requires solvents to be completely removed, which can leave tide lines if not thoroughly soaked.

Then, once the tape is removed you are left with a split covered Tec 27.

It doesn't make sense at this point unless you were going to conserve/restore the book.

And I realize this is our second rodeo over tape and comics, so sorry in advance for picking apart your post. But your comments made me scratch my head.

Define, easily. meh

While the tape might not have had time to break down, or seep into the comic. The cover was literally taped to the interior. This is not easy to get at, and remove without soaking both the cover and outer wrap as a whole.

Even if you removed the tape carrier with heat, the adhesive typicaly requires solvents to be completely removed, which can leave tide lines if not thoroughly soaked.

It doesn't make sense at this point unless you were going to conserve/restore the book.

And I realize this is our second rodeo over tape and comics, so sorry in advance for picking apart your post. But your comments made me scratch my head.

difference in buying a book for resale and buying a book for personal enjoyment. However I was not planning on winning this copy so point on this book is moot... But tape could be easily pulled off this copy with no problem Because it was that Easily removable light adhesive type tape that was used. The post it note type

Define, easily. meh

While the tape might not have had time to break down, or seep into the comic. The cover was literally taped to the interior. This is not easy to get at, and remove without soaking both the cover and outer wrap as a whole.

difference in buying a book for resale and buying a book for personal enjoyment. However I was not planning on winning this copy so point on this book is moot... But tape could be easily pulled off this copy with no problem

Sounds like the tape was tiny pieces, and not strips?

Fair enough.

Although, once removed you are left with pieces of a Tec 27.

Just saying, it makes no sense at this point.

But enough of that, the book is still incredible, as was the sale.

At 116k probably makes no sense. But removing the tape returns the book to the condition it was found in a few weeks ago and I still like the look (even with detached cover...in a slab or Mylar u really can't tell right) over the 2.0 That was my point. Not that I would pay 6 figs and undo just making point it could be done if someone so desired (thumbs u

At 116k probably makes no sense. But removing the tape returns the book to the condition it was found in a few weeks ago and I still like the look (even with detached cover...in a slab or Mylar u really can't tell right) over the 2.0 That was my point. Not that I would pay 6 figs and undo just making point it could be done if someone so desired (thumbs u

Situations like this are well nigh impossbile for the average person to wrap their head around. This rare, important cultural artifact is found a few weeks ago without tape, and tape is applied, which makes it worth more. But only because the tape is corrosive and impossible to remove without damaging the paper and ink. Had the seller used archival quality tape that can be removed without damaging the book, it would have been worth less.

Tell that the average person and their head may explode. Tell that to a smart investor and they might say "guess that's the way it's done in this community," but, privately, virtually none will say it makes sense.

The seller probably may have hated putting the tape on it, but I can't really blame them if that's the way it's done, and that's how to add four to five figures to the final price.

But, that aside, it's always nice to see another copy and sale of Detective 27.

Situations like this are well nigh impossbile for the average person to wrap their head around. This rare, important cultural artifact is found a few weeks ago without tape, and tape is applied, which makes it worth more. But only because the tape is corrosive and impossible to remove without damaging the paper and ink. Had the seller used archival quality tape that can be removed without damaging the book, it would have been worth less.

Tell that the average person and their head may explode. Tell that to a smart investor and they might say "guess that's the way it's done in this community," but, privately, virtually none will say it makes sense.

The seller probably may have hated putting the tape on it, but I can't really blame them if that's the way it's done, and that's how to add four to five figures to the final price.

But, that aside, it's always nice to see another copy and sale of Detective 27.

Ok so assuming the cover was split, it would have gotten a 1.0 maybe a 1.5, do you think that the price would have been a lot less if any less. I would take a 1.0 without tape over a 1.8 with every day of the week.

This should not have been an issue of buying the grade as you don't have the slab chasers at the low end IMO.

It just seems silly to do more damage then good. Then again I had some books with spine splits professionally sealed and can't move them, if I had used tape they would have been sold in a week.....

Wrap your head around that too.

James G

Sparklecity now has a Tec 29 1.0 with tape. Wouldn't that book have been graded a 1.0 even if they hadn't added the tape?

Yes and it was slabbed poorly anyway as the covers are all messed up. I don't know what the tape did for this book. It certainly did not increase the grade any.....

James G