• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SAGA from Image Comics
6 6

9,900 posts in this topic

There is the most likely answer then. Since you are willing to hold onto it you are pricing it out of the market and are rather picky with trades. It's not so much being niche as being an unmotivated seller. (thumbs u

I don't agree. I'd priced it about $40 below recent eBay auctions. I even included a link to said auctions. It might have been steep for a dealer though. That I could see. For the boards? I thought it was a good deal.

Oh and I'd add: A lot of them didn't even ask a price. I believe I spoke with 5 dealers. One didn't have his partner who was in charge of CGC books. One was up for trading but my price was too high. We discussed a trade but he only had one book I wanted that was way below the value. The other 3 were not interested outright. I never even gave them a figure or showed them the book. One of the 3 had a raw Invincible that I was clearly going to try to flip it in to and they wouldn't even discuss it. They had the Invincible priced at $125.

So you can say what you want, but right now this book is a niche book, IMO. In a year or two I could see it changing, but as of right now I'm not sure I'd invest in regular 9.8s of issue 1. Like someone just bought 8 copies of issue 1 over in the marketplace. That money, again IMO, could have been better spent on an RRP which seems to be dropping in value now. I'd imagine it will spike again.

CGC is the niche, not Saga. You essentially wanted a graded price and in your example wanted to trade for a raw book. There are a number of dealers that simply will not pay a premium for graded books. They just don't sell at conventions like raw books. Had you offered the book as raw trade value (plus slabbing cost) then you may have had better luck. As far as selling here what did you price it at?

There is the most likely answer then. Since you are willing to hold onto it you are pricing it out of the market and are rather picky with trades. It's not so much being niche as being an unmotivated seller. (thumbs u

I don't agree. I'd priced it about $40 below recent eBay auctions. I even included a link to said auctions. It might have been steep for a dealer though. That I could see. For the boards? I thought it was a good deal.

Oh and I'd add: A lot of them didn't even ask a price. I believe I spoke with 5 dealers. One didn't have his partner who was in charge of CGC books. One was up for trading but my price was too high. We discussed a trade but he only had one book I wanted that was way below the value. The other 3 were not interested outright. I never even gave them a figure or showed them the book. One of the 3 had a raw Invincible that I was clearly going to try to flip it in to and they wouldn't even discuss it. They had the Invincible priced at $125.

So you can say what you want, but right now this book is a niche book, IMO. In a year or two I could see it changing, but as of right now I'm not sure I'd invest in regular 9.8s of issue 1. Like someone just bought 8 copies of issue 1 over in the marketplace. That money, again IMO, could have been better spent on an RRP which seems to be dropping in value now. I'd imagine it will spike again.

CGC is the niche, not Saga. You essentially wanted a graded price and in your example wanted to trade for a raw book. There are a number of dealers that simply will not pay a premium for graded books. They just don't sell at conventions like raw books. Had you offered the book as raw trade value (plus slabbing cost) then you may have had better luck. As far as selling here what did you price it at?

I was thinking the same thing Jeff as I just sold a raw 9.0 copy for $95.

Prices are starting to head north...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGA-1-CGC-9-8-Brian-K-Vaughan-Fiona-Staples-IMAGE-/261277037752?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cd55334b8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGA-1-CGC-9-8-Brian-K-Vaughan-Fiona-Staples-IMAGE-/261277037752?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3cd55334b8

you shouldn't have any problem get rid of it. unless deep in your heart, you still find love for it.

Not bad for a guy who had just picked up 8 copies at 100 ea...Promising to say the least.

From Multiversity

"Saga #1: #40, estimates of 37,641 issues sold

Saga #13: #22, estimates of 55,372 issues sold

That’s growth of over 47% in a 12 issue span! That is freaking gigantic, and speaks volumes about the buzz behind this book and the viability of the way they release the book. Incredible stuff from the team for Saga and Image."

47%!

Not bad for a guy who had just picked up 8 copies at 100 ea...Promising to say the least.

I saw that. Congrats on the purchase. You beat me to it. I was about to throw up the :takeit:

Can't lose at that price.

That is promising! I was trying to sell my SS copy for 200 too.

CGC is the niche, not Saga.

Bingo

Disagree as well.

I have owned 10 of the Saga #1 RRP"s in 9.8 and currently still own 4. 3 Months ago I couldn't keep any of the RRPs for more than 5 seconds now they are collecting dust just 3 months later. Down about $250-300 as well in the short time span.

Whomp Whomp Whomppppppppppp

I like Saga, but all the people that are were watching my last 9.8 RRP auction were probably of all you guys who already own one. 65 watchers and only one last second bid. lol

Great book and great reads, but as for Saga being a long term comic book title with future upward potential .......

daniel-bryan-NO_zps963574c4.gif

Does buying Saga issues today (even #1 & RRP) mean you could have paid way too much and could have bought everything Saga for much cheaper down the road?

Daniel_Bryan_YES_zpsdfd929d2.gif

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

CGC is the niche, not Saga.

Bingo

I think CGC has got Saga beat by recognition by big margin.

Hell some of the dealers the OP mentioned have never even heard of Saga yet. lol

Saga is still a niche what are you guys talking about? (shrug)

Walking Dead was a relatively decent niche till the movie spiked the book.

Unless Saga gets a movie or TV deal then the book will be comparable to Preacher, Y: Last Man (which if YTLM got a TV/movie it would blow WD out of the water), and other such DC Vertigo good reads.

Saga is what it is a good little book that will end up becoming like the others I just mentioned.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

BTW I hope I am 100% dead wrong with my thoughts in my last two posts and I really do love this book! (thumbs u

(except for the CGC fact that is just a straight up basic fact)

BTW I hope I am 100% dead wrong with my thoughts in my last two posts and I really do love this book! (thumbs u

+1

Sometimes I feel like criticizing the price of this book everyone gets personally offended. I'd love to be wrong, but from what I've seen these books just aren't as hot as everyone here wants. Could that change? Sure- but I'm not sure it will as production of a TV show for this book would cost a small fortune.

Having said all that: this books is a blast to read and I hope it runs for a long time.

Oh and Y: The Last Man would make an outstanding TV show. The most expensive thing would probably be paying for the monkey and trainer.

The book is still worth a small fortune for a one year old modern with a 40K print run. As someone who has sold stacks of copies, there's definitely demand, just not the demand that we saw in January-March, when everyone was smoking crack.

lol

No. Although the price may have declined it is still sought after (I own zero Saga). The OP could have and still could sell this book. It all comes down to price.

CGC is a niche market within comic collecting. We are talking about a graded Saga. By definition a graded Saga is a niche of Saga collecting. Attributing percentages as to whether CGC or Saga is more niche......well - apples meet oranges.

The fact is Saga as a modern is doing very well on the secondary market. CGC is still a very small percentage of modern comic sales. A graded Saga does not command full GPA from dealers. Why would it? They can grade their own copies.

Criticize the title all you like. I read 5 issues and I still don't see Y potential.

Disagree as well.

That is what you do. (thumbs u

The book is still worth a small fortune for a one year old modern with a 40K print run. As someone who has sold stacks of copies, there's definitely demand, just not the demand that we saw in January-March, when everyone was smoking crack.

No way, the title is just a small niche market.....obviously. :whistle:

I love the debate going on in this thread. I'm a big Y fan as well and part of the reason why I began reading Saga was because of BKV. I do feel that the writing is on the same level as Y. I enjoy(ed) reading both. Will Saga end up as Preacher, Y The last man or Sandman? Great books but don't have as much value in the secondary market? Maybe. There is nothing wrong with that.

I do disagree that this is a niche book though. Can we even say that when the print run is at 60k? In addition, someone mentioned that the trade has sold over 100k copies.