• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MORE STERANKO oddities STERANKO rarities STERANKO

25 posts in this topic

I have more wonderful Steranko oddities and rarities to list today, including a few things that I am sure have never appeared here on the Boards before.

:takeit: trumps PMs. Drekkers welcome, Probies not. Shipping is $3.00 for Media Mail (to U.S. addresses) for any number of items. Shipping to Canada for $6 (unless a bunch of stuff is purchased, may have to add a couple bucks). Minimum order for overseas buyers is $30. Shipping price quoted for overseas buyers after purchase. Will charge exact USPS shipping, no extra handling charges.

Here we go....

First up is the auto-biographical Graphic Prince of Darkness that Steranko designed and produced in 1997. This book is full of art that had never been released before or since including:

Pencils to a never published story in the "Stroke of Midnight"-style that was intended for Marvel

Original cover to Tower of Shadows #1 that was never published

Storyboards for Coppola's Dracula

and many more... and a ton of unbelievable and outrageous biographical material. This is a must-own for any Steranko fan.

I have two NM and unread copies of this long out-of-print book. 32 pages, comic-book size.

Both are SOLD

img285.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3547-1.jpg

Here are three vintage paperbacks with Steranko covers:

Lord of Blood (Lancer, 1970) - One of the first covers that Steranko created in the midst of leaving Marvel. cover wear, small stains top right corner front cover

Kelwin (Lancer, 1970) - One of the first covers that Steranko created in the midst of leaving Marvel - some spine roll

The Reavers of Skaith (Ballantine, 1976) - minor edge wear, few back cover creases.

SOLD

img243.jpg

img244.jpg

img245.jpg

img246.jpg

Here are three killer vintage Shadow paperbacks with Steranko design and paintings. All Jove first printings from 1977. These appear to be unread.

The Shadow #17 FINGERS OF DEATH - Steranko front and back cover design with original Steranko painting. Minor edge and surface wear. Tiny crease top right front cover.

The Shadow #18 MURDER TRAIL - Steranko front and back cover design with original Steranko painting. Minor edge and surface wear. Crease in spine about 1/2" from top.

The Shadow #20 CHARG, MONSTER - Steranko front and back cover design with original Steranko painting. Minor edge and surface wear. Chip out of bottom spine.

SOLD

img247.jpg

img248.jpg

img249.jpg

img250.jpg

I don't believe anyone has ever listed a complete set of the Steranko Shadow paperbacks. Well, here they are... all 23 books, all with Steranko design and original paintings.

These were published between 1974 and 1978 by Pyramid/Jove and feature some of the best work that Steranko ever did.

All the books appear to be unread. No spine reading creases. No writing and no tears. The first twelve books have a bit of front and back cover moisture damage as can be seen in the photos along with some waviness in the spines. Books #13-23 have no moisture damage to covers but have a tiny bit of waviness. Book 19 has a cover crease and #20 has a chip out at the top and bottom of spine and a small back cover crease. Most of the #13-23 books have a few very small chips and a small (about 1") cover crease. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I'm going to put an very fair price on these books to sell quickly.

SOLD

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

CHANDLER: RED TIDE by Jim Steranko, 127 pages, DIGEST SIZE 6.5" x 5"

Pyramid Books 1976

This is the classic, magnum-opus work by Jim Steranko, CHANDLER : RED TIDE that was published in 1976 which was written, pencilled, inked and colored by Jim Steranko. Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. Chandler : Red Tide is the ultimate published work by Steranko.

FINE condition with cream/slightly tan pages (typical page quality for this book). No writing and no tears. Minor wear on covers and excellent pages. Book appears to be unread based on flat, firm spine.

SOLD

img286.jpg

img287.jpg

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3691.jpg

CHANDLER: RED TIDE by Jim Steranko, 127 pages, FULL SIZE 8.5 x 11"

Pyramid Books 1976

This is the classic, magnum-opus work by Jim Steranko, CHANDLER : RED TIDE that was published in 1976 which was written, pencilled, inked and colored by Jim Steranko. Considered groundbreaking, and highly influential, it is Steranko's longest self-contained graphic storytelling work. It is some of Steranko's best work in any medium. There were two versions of this book, one a digest size, published by Byron Preiss on lesser-quality paper, and this one, the scarce, special-order-only full size 8.5 x 11" that was printed on much higher-quality paper. This is the much harder to find version. Chandler : Red Tide is the ultimate published work by Steranko in its intended full-size with bold colors.

Fine condition with white pages. No writing and no tears. Very minor wear on covers and excellent pages. Creasing on upper left front and upper right back cover and same creasing on top inner gutter of pages. Slightly rubbed cover corners. Book may be unread. Really, really tough to find in this condition.

Would normally put a price of of $120 for a copy of this book in VF or higher. This Fine copy is a great deal at $85.

img290.jpg

img291.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

:takeit: I'll take one of these NM babies.

First up is the auto-biographical Graphic Prince of Darkness that Steranko designed and produced in 1997. This book is full of art that had never been released before or since including:

Pencils to a never published story in the "Stroke of Midnight"-style that was intended for Marvel

Original cover to Tower of Shadows #1 that was never published

Storyboards for Coppola's Dracula

and many more... and a ton of unbelievable and outrageous biographical material. This is a must-own for any Steranko fan.

I have two NM and unread copies of this long out-of-print book. 32 pages, comic-book size.

$25 each

img285.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3549.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3547-1.jpg

On to our next oddity AND rarity...

You may ask why I'm listing a copy of True Mystery Detective? Yes it has great literary classics such as "Nobody Home - But Me!", "I Married a Nympho!" and "Crimson Killings of the Five Beauties", but they are only a bonus.

Why is this listed in my Steranko thread?

No Steranko art in this one.

But.... who's that on the cover? Yes, sir, Jim Steranko with a .38 pistol! (Yes, I have proof!)

Very scarce. Fine condition, some cover creasing, small 1/4' tear upper right corner of cover.

$40

img294.jpg

And the last rarity...

Yes, it's been whispered about, and seldom seen. You heard that Jim Steranko was a magician prior to becoming a Marvel illustrator in the mid-sixties?

This is a copy of the super rare STERANKO ON CARDS, first 1960 printing. SIGNED by Jim Steranko (personalized to Roger).

Entire 102 page book was designed, written and illustrated by Steranko when he was only 22 years old. Includes Steranko photo on cover. This book is legendary among card magicians and very sought after.

This book is in very fine condition. Pages are very nice. It was printed with a clear plastic front and back cover and a plastic comb binding. Clear plastic is turning darker in some areas. Plastic comb is broken in one spot, but doesn't affect readability.

Super scarce.

$200

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

You may ask why I'm listing a copy of True Mystery Detective? Yes it has great literary classics such as "Nobody Home - But Me!", "I Married a Nympho!" and "Crimson Killings of the Five Beauties", but they are only a bonus.

But.... who's that on the cover? Yes, sir, Jim Steranko with a .38 pistol! (Yes, I have proof!)

Very scarce. Fine condition, some cover creasing, small 1/4' tear upper right corner of cover.

$40

img294.jpg

I'll take it.

$40

img294.jpg

I'll take it.

Smart buy! Thank you! PM sent!