• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Metallic Marker?

13 posts in this topic

A little assitance from the more experienced Sig Series boardies would be appreciated.

I'm a huge fan of Simon Bisley and the movie Alien, so the book below (Not my copy, pic from t'Interweb) is one of my fave copper covers.

darkhorsepresentsaliens1nm.jpg

As Simon is attending LSCC this weekend it seems like a perfect opportunity to get my raw 9.8 copy signed.

The cover is very dark / grey so I'm not sure the standard black / silver sharpie will stand out. Anyone ever used a metallic red marker on a cover? I'm thinking the red sig in the bottom left would act as a great contrast to the art as well as compliment the red title text. What I don't want to do is end up with an unsightly, ruined cover.

Any assitance / advice would be greatly appreciated.

1st off, great choice. I am getting a Platinum #1 of the same book done at Boston. The metallic color pens are very temperamental. They tend to bubble and take forever to dry. I would go with Silver and I think it will look great.

Who knows, red might be a good choice. He may even use that same marker, to bloody up that cover.

The best colored metallic markers I have ever seen are the ones Todd McFarlane uses. They look great. If you could guarantee for them to look like that, I would say use them all the time. But other times it has been somewhat of a crapshoot.

I try to use the markers I found at walmart called @office, the come with 8 markers I think for $5. The blue and green are great, no bright red though [frown]. But they right smooth, no shaking, fast dry time, and look great. Couple of examples:

WalkingDead60.jpg

ManapulCaptainColdFront.jpg

AmazingSpider-Man66.jpg

Who knows, red might be a good choice. He may even use that same marker, to bloody up that cover.

The best colored metallic markers I have ever seen are the ones Todd McFarlane uses. They look great. If you could guarantee for them to look like that, I would say use them all the time. But other times it has been somewhat of a crapshoot.

+1

Does anyone know what Markers Todd uses?

Colour choices aside, if you're using a paint pen make the book has LOTS of time to dry. I can't recall what the stock is like on your DHP but I once had a book still wet 6-7 hours after due to an ultra glossy cover (the sig actually smudged but since it was still glossy I was able to wipe it clean and get it resigned the next day ;) ).

Will

The cover is very dark / grey so I'm not sure the standard black / silver sharpie will stand out. Anyone ever used a metallic red marker on a cover? I'm thinking the red sig in the bottom left would act as a great contrast to the art as well as compliment the red title text. What I don't want to do is end up with an unsightly, ruined cover.

Any assitance / advice would be greatly appreciated.

It isn't metallic, but the best red paint pen I've found is the one made by Elmer's. It's a much truer, more opaque red than the one you find in the paint pens from Sharpie.

yhst-65953260967716_2199_30012122.jpg