• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to programmatic get the latest release of comic titles.

7 posts in this topic

I'm seeking help on how to get the latest list of comic books being released this week via web service or screen scrapping or something. I see a ton of websites who have this information and I believe that surely they are all calling something to get this information and I'm wondering what that is.

I know Diamond and Previews has the information in pdf and text format but they don't seem to have the images, titles, descriptions and number all with it.

Basically I want to make a call to some service or rss feed and get the following results back

example

I'm seeking help on how to get the latest list of comic books being released this week via web service or screen scrapping or something. I see a ton of websites who have this information and I believe that surely they are all calling something to get this information and I'm wondering what that is.

Title / Diamond code listings are easy, but there is no free/simple way to get the complete info (solicit text + graphics) that you want. Sites like ifanboy are paying Diamond for it (I believe). News sites like CBR piece it together as publishers release it.

Yeah, it's an annoying problem that should be fixed.

edit to add -- the site you linked looks like a shop using a Comixology storefront. Looks like Comixology is using (and again, probably paying for) Diamond info as well.

Thanks for the info markseifert. That is really a shame. If the content was free I would tend to think cooler applications and websites would blossom forth and help the community. Instead we seem to be stifling creativity in favor of making a few dollars.

Do you know how much the service cost from Diamond or where I could find such pricing information? I've look through their website and I don't see anything that tells me, "this is a service to give you the solicit text + graphics of the latest comic books being released this week".

Thanks for the info markseifert. That is really a shame. If the content was free I would tend to think cooler applications and websites would blossom forth and help the community. Instead we seem to be stifling creativity in favor of making a few dollars.

Do you know how much the service cost from Diamond or where I could find such pricing information? I've look through their website and I don't see anything that tells me, "this is a service to give you the solicit text + graphics of the latest comic books being released this week".

I looked for this information a couple of years ago as well... to no avail.

What I'd really like is for GCDB to expose a web service...

I found that ComicVine has an API that lets you pull information out of their DB but unfortunately it's not well documented and quite difficult to get even the most basic of information. :P

I'm extremely interested in making this info more accessible as part of what we're doing with Bleeding Cool this year, and have started to talk to some publishers about it. I'll let you know when I start making some progress.

On the Diamond front... I believe it's primarily set up as a retailer service. I'd start by looking for retailer customer service channels and see what they tell you.

Try taking a look at Comic Collector from collectorz.com. They import in the previews info to get skeleton entries into their online database. They have a demo so you might be able to get an idea of what they offer on their new releases.