• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's my CGC AF15 7.0 UK variant worth?

90 posts in this topic

typically valued at 50% or less of US counterparts, though I have really never seen a higher than 5.0 sell, so untested that I know of

Not even close.

Try at least 70%

Sorry Nick, gonna have to go with Gator on this one...have seen pence copies of AF15 sell on ebay for about 50% - 55% of their US counterparts in same grade (they were in the 3.0 to 4.0 range).

That's fine.

I'll just fall back on 20 year's experience selling pence copies of keys.

Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out the 1-2 copies I saw for sale on ebay a while back...probably just flukes or lucky breaks (thumbs u

Maybe. (shrug)

But to boarders alone, I've sold an AF #15, ASM #1, FF #1, Hulk #1, Strange Tales #101...all pence copies and all at 70%+ of OS.

Nick, I'm not doubting you (just read your posts after I finished submitting mine). Just posting my experiences and it's very possible to have more than one market (and therefore different price points) for the same books.

What were the grades of the books you sold? Where they lower or higher grade copies?

Nice book! I'd hold out on 100%+ of OS, but its your prerogative to sell.

Top of census, a fraction of the total population (21 UK copies compared to 1643 US copies), with such low population representation this far into the slabbing game.

I just don't see there being too many copies topping it, or those census number getting padded anytime soon.

Top of census, a fraction of the total population (21 UK copies compared to 1643 US copies), with such low population representation this far into the slabbing game.

I just don't see there being too many copies topping it, or those census number getting padded anytime soon.

Variant collector.

:baiting:

typically valued at 50% or less of US counterparts, though I have really never seen a higher than 5.0 sell, so untested that I know of

Not even close.

Try at least 70%

Sorry Nick, gonna have to go with Gator on this one...have seen pence copies of AF15 sell on ebay for about 50% - 55% of their US counterparts in same grade (they were in the 3.0 to 4.0 range).

That's fine.

Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out the 1-2 copies I saw for sale on ebay a while back...probably just flukes or lucky breaks (thumbs u

Maybe. (shrug)

But to boarders alone, I've sold an AF #15, ASM #1, FF #1, Hulk #1, Strange Tales #101...all pence copies and all at 70%+ of OS.

Nick, I'm not doubting you (just read your posts after I finished submitting mine). Just posting my experiences and it's very possible to have more than one market (and therefore different price points) for the same books.

What were the grades of the books you sold? Where they lower or higher grade copies?

70% of OS is about 50% of FMV, so we are both "right" (Thumbs u

Variant collector.

:baiting:

In my language, 50% of OS for a pence copy of a mega-key like AF 15 is akin to Rick of Pawn Stars giving me a quarter when I ask him to break a Canadian $5 bill.

I just did the math on the very small sample size.

In 2010 an AF15 5.0 UK sold for $4995. That was 55% of the average 5.0 for that year ($9150)

In 2007 an AF15 2.5 UK sold for $1773. That was 72% of the average 2.5 for that year ($2467)

Those are the only two examples of unrestored AF15 UK I can find on GPS.

I decided to look up ASM 1 and found a 7.0 UK that sold for $5262 in 2004 which was 89% of the average price for that year. 89% is pretty high.

The sample sizes are so small that the % is all over the place, but I'm thinking since it's a high grade key that it's value is somewhere around 60 - 70%

Now I must rest my brain from all this math

I can double your sample size...

I was only able to get $3K for a cgc 4.0 pence copy at the same time I was getting 6K for the US, and I got $3500 for a 4.5 (about same time I was getting 7-7500 for cgc 4.5)...

that is where I got my 50% from... admittedly, Nick has likely bought and sold 10 fold, but from the available sales I have or know about, 50% is spot on...

and I did qualify that I have no sales for a 7.0, so that could be an entirely different animal to the right buyer (thumbs u

Not even close.

Try at least 70%

That's fine.

Maybe. (shrug)

70% of OS is about 50% of FMV, so we are both "right" (Thumbs u

Good point.

In 2010 an AF15 5.0 UK sold for $4995. That was 55% of the average 5.0 for that year ($9150)

In 2007 an AF15 2.5 UK sold for $1773. That was 72% of the average 2.5 for that year ($2467)

I decided to look up ASM 1 and found a 7.0 UK that sold for $5262 in 2004 which was 89% of the average price for that year. 89% is pretty high.

The sample sizes are so small that the % is all over the place, but I'm thinking since it's a high grade key that it's value is somewhere around 60 - 70%

I was only able to get $3K for a cgc 4.0 pence copy at the same time I was getting 6K for the US, and I got $3500 for a 4.5 (about same time I was getting 7-7500 for cgc 4.5)...

that is where I got my 50% from... admittedly, Nick has likely bought and sold 10 fold, but from the available sales I have or know about, 50% is spot on...

and I did qualify that I have no sales for a 7.0, so that could be an entirely different animal to the right buyer (thumbs u

Wow formulas and statistics

It's a well known fact that 85% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I think Nick's expertise and experience of dealing in UK priced keys and asking for and receiving 70% of the US value should be noted but so should the experience of the US dealers in dealing with UK priced keys in the US market???

Does that even make sense???

I think Nick's expertise and experience of dealing in UK priced keys and asking for and receiving 70% of the US value should be noted but so should the experience of the US dealers in dealing with UK priced keys in the US market???

Totally, but I'm saying 70% is still too low in the context of this being a top of census, low population type 1a price variant, of a top 3 comic character that recently broke the $1M barrier. The census ratios are more astounding when you consider nearly 1/3 of AF 15's are restored.

Totally, but I'm saying 70% is still too low in the context of this being a top of census, low population type 1a variant, of a top 3 comic character that recently broke the $1M barrier. The census ratios are more astounding when you consider nearly 1/3 of AF 15's are restored.

Right got you (thumbs u

The census ratio are astounding but I suppose they are dictated by supply and demand...aren't they?

I think you are missing the point.

Nick said he was selling at 70% of Overstreet Price Guide and this directly supports GAtor's (and my) experience that they fetch 50% of Fair Market Value...because Overstreet and FMV are two different things.

70% of guide roughly = 50% FMV.

We are talking about the same actual numbers using different terminology.

Now I haven't opened a guide to confirm this, I'm just taking GAtor at his word but I've known Rick and Nick long enough to trust them implicitly at their word and not have to "check up" on them.

Totally, but I'm saying 70% is still too low in the context of this being a top of census, low population type 1a variant, of a top 3 comic character that recently broke the $1M barrier. The census ratios are more astounding when you consider nearly 1/3 of AF 15's are restored.

That's a matter of markets. :grin:

There might be a few people who are willing to pay more for a "variant". I'm not one of them but they are out there.

For the record I don't believe the UK copies are variants and should be valued equally with the US copies but the market disagrees.

Nick said he was selling at 70% of Overstreet Price Guide and this directly supports GAtor's (and my) experience that they fetch 50% of Fair Market Value...because Overstreet and FMV are two different things.

Now I haven't opened a guide to confirm this, I'm just taking GAtor at his word but I've known Rick and Nick long enough to trust them implicitly at their word and not have to "check up" on them.

It probably was 'Lost in Translation'

I think my earlier post stands in that Nick has the expertise of the UK market and what a UK priced key will fetch in that market. While you an GAtor have the experience of selling UK priced issues to the US market so your insight is equally valid.

It sounds like the UK market has the flexibility to ask and receive a higher amount for a UK priced Key.

The market will affect the potential asking price is basically what I'm trying to say!

You're correct Roy, 70% of guide and 50% of FMV for a Slab both equate to approx $20,000.

I'd say the OP did fantastic in buying for $6750, spending another $150 to have color touch removed and getting it slabbed!! well done, Sir :acclaim: