• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA Feb Heritage Auction -- Curators, etc.

78 posts in this topic

Agent, what did you grab? :applause:

I had put in bids on the FF #11 (extremely hard in HG) and the #48, which looked spectacular. I ended up winning the #11 for too much money and losing the #48 to the live auction. Ah well!

Dan

What's with all the love for the 9.4 FF5? It sure as heck is a generous grade with all the spine stresses that break colour.

Dan you must have seen this book up close...what would you grade it?

I agree that is really strong money for a 9.4.

I sold 2 copies at CGC 9.2 with white pages for about mid $20's in the past year.

The 5.5 went for insane money but i looked at that book long and hard and it is a spectacular copy for the grade. Much like the Janowicz copy broke a record a few years ago as a 6.5, I don't think another 5.5 will fetch that price anytime soon. There is creasing on the book but it is impossible to see so the book literally shows like a $50,000+ book. If that book went to a collector somebody owns a copy with killer eye appeal.

Gosh, I looked at that 5.5 and it's BETTER than the Janowicz copy. I owned the J copy for awhile and it had chips.

Man, that 5.5 is very nice! (thumbs u

The 5.5 went for insane money but i looked at that book long and hard and it is a spectacular copy for the grade. Much like the Janowicz copy broke a record a few years ago as a 6.5, I don't think another 5.5 will fetch that price anytime soon. There is creasing on the book but it is impossible to see so the book literally shows like a $50,000+ book. If that book went to a collector somebody owns a copy with killer eye appeal.

Gosh, I looked at that 5.5 and it's BETTER than the Janowicz copy. I owned the J copy for awhile and it had chips.

That's right, you were the sucker.

:devil:

The 5.5 book had an 8" crease, a 6" crease and some other smaller creasing acc. to CGC but for the life of me I couldn't see them in the large scans.

Certainly a killer book for the grade.

Insane is right. Totally, and completely insane. Someone paid strong 7.0 money for a 5.5. The fact that there were two people chasing that book makes it even more amazing.

Personally, I'd rather pay 6.5 money for a 7.0. :whistle:

Consensus on todays #1 in 5.5 is that it will be appearing before too long in a new slab, and probably sporting a very different numerical grade.

As for the Curator #5, it does indeed have a couple of tiny spine stress lines (ensuring that it will never appear in a 9.6 holder), but the preservation of the paper and inks was remarkable.

JJJ --

I think a lot of the Curators got a grade bump for provenance, gloss, and color alone. I didn't see these books in person, but going by my appraisal of Heritage's big scans, I thought the #5 that you mentioned was a 9.2 with all the spine stress, even though it's probably quite light. Probably a stunner in hand, though, so I can't quibble too much.

In fact, I'd say plenty of these Curators were a grade higher than I would have assigned based only on the scans. That's why I didn't go nutso on too many books.

Dan

I had put in bids on the FF #11 (extremely hard in HG) and the #48, which looked spectacular. I ended up winning the #11 for too much money and losing the #48 to the live auction. Ah well!

Dan

What's with all the love for the 9.4 FF5? It sure as heck is a generous grade with all the spine stresses that break colour.

I sold 2 copies at CGC 9.2 with white pages for about mid $20's in the past year.

Hi, Roy:

I was merely stating the label may state its a 9.4 copy, but when I looked at a large scan I saw 9 spine stresses that broke colour, and blunt corners at the top & bottom left.

That's right, you were the sucker.

The 5.5 book had an 8" crease, a 6" crease and some other smaller creasing acc. to CGC but for the life of me I couldn't see them in the large scans.

Certainly a killer book for the grade.

R, CGC is never wrong. After CGC graded my War books, I bought some bi focals. Join the Club. lol

Dan

Hi, Roy:

I was merely stating the label may state its a 9.4 copy, but when I looked at a large scan I saw 9 spine stresses that broke colour, and blunt corners at the top & bottom left.

Oh, i understand.

As a few others have mentioned, sometimes there is more to grading than just spine stress though. There's also freshness, feel, smell, gloss, colour strike, etc.

Dan

That's the nicest 9.4 of FF 5 I've ever seen. The people who saw it in person thought it was phenomenal. I'm not surprised at all that it went for such a strong price. This is one book where I definitely was not involved in the end bidding because I knew it was going to be well above anything I was willing to risk.

Speaking from experience, for some collectors, prices of 9.2s have absolutely no bearing on prices of 9.4s. The desire to own a 9.2 copy, even at 1/4 or 1/3 of the price of a 9.4, is zero.

But it was so WHITE!!! (worship)

Dan

That's the nicest 9.4 of FF 5 I've ever seen. The people who saw it in person thought it was phenomenal. I'm not surprised at all that it went for such a strong price. This is one book where I definitely was not involved in the end bidding because I knew it was going to be well above anything I was willing to risk.

Speaking from experience, for some collectors, prices of 9.2s have absolutely no bearing on prices of 9.4s. The desire to own a 9.2 copy, even at 1/4 or 1/3 of the price of a 9.4, is zero.

I'm going to dig up a scan of one of the 9.2 copies I sold. It blew the doors of this 9.4 copy as far as eye appeal is concerned. It was perfectly centred, as fresh and white as the day it was printed, the cover was a nice bright blue and the only wear on the book was some tiny stress in the black.

In fact, it's so nice I've already talked to the current owner and we're going to resub the book based on what the curator looked like.

(thumbs u

nice book roy. $20k? :) amazed at the price of CGC 5.5 FF1. i was looking for the curator ff1. not that i can afford it. i was looking into the auction last night 1am my time. i was chatting with my wife how i wish i could afford the $250k plus action 1 and when the auction has moved on to Action11, she pressed the bid button! I was floored as I thought I won the book which I have no intention of bidding. My wife got a good laugh.

Consensus on todays #1 in 5.5 is that it will be appearing before too long in a new slab, and probably sporting a very different numerical grade.

Seems like a higher label is already baked into the current price. If it comes up for sale in a new higher label but is identified as being the same book, I bet it doesn't go much higher (if at all).

Seems like a higher label is already baked into the current price. If it comes up for sale in a new higher label but is identified as being the same book, I bet it doesn't go much higher (if at all).

Not everybody buys comics for the profit margin. :baiting:

Not everybody buys comics for the profit margin. :baiting:

Then why is the owner immediately resubbing for a higher label?

yup, the book looks like a 7.0 or 7.5.

It doesn't look as good as the Curator. :baiting:

Contrarian, elitist, condescending, grumpy, crotchety are all words that come to mind.

Seriously, it`s a really sweet copy. Why didn`t it get a 9.4?