• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I'm not bidding on any items in the Heritage FEB Auction

176 posts in this topic

1. The Highly Professional Marketing Campaign is putting a premium on prices.

If you are a collector and don't care about resell value, that thrill bid is going to hit the brain faster than a line of coke.

If you are at all interested in retaining value, sit back and watch the show.

2. I'm becoming more convinced that the U. S. Dollar is going to collapse with each new policy that the FEDs are implementing. The Obama Administration is making Reagan look like a left wing radical. (Exaggeration for effect -- not a political statement)

When the magic tricks come to an end, hyper-inflation will start. You can erase about 2 zeros off of the value of that $1,000,000 comic book collection you have in the vault.

Conversely, you will see 3x on your 2012 Gold investment.

I think the KING OF COMICS barker is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic with his winners and losers predictions.

3. The Heritage 20% buyer fee + sales tax rarely transfers at the time of resale.

4. I'm not an Existentialist.

Personally, I'll be watching the live auction today. I want them to go HIGHER. It will help raise my little boat in the water when I prepare to sell this year.

Anyone else sitting this one out?

I heard you kind of negative thinking, since action comics#1 broke the $250.00 barrier in 1970.

You live in a "dream land". I would venture to guess that over the years you have been waiting for GA to drop..and that you are really pissed off you did not buy when you should of or could of.

You are waiting for the USA of collapse. Well you are gonna be waiting a LONG time, because this county is greater than you think, and we are lot less deader than the rest of the world.

You are saying that gold is going up 300% from 2k or 6k a ounce, well then get the heck out here,and FORGET about us. When and IF gold goes to 6K and the fed policy collapses the economy, you better take you GA money you have been waiting to spend and go to China where the living will be good, since they own us according to you and your thinking...good luck. Just keep watching your late night gold commericals and end of the world movies.

I am not saying we are perfect. I am not saying we are gonna be roses, But I think inflation will be factor down the road(high prices today) and you gonna get the money out of the bank and put it were you can save some value. Gold is ok on my book, but I would not put all of my money in one area.

If you want to sell this is a good time and it is a good time to buy quality material. Action #1 and quality material has throughout history survived tougher times in the 1980's with STAGFLATION. Interest rates were 18% to buy a house and the economy was dead. Now that was tough times, and still Action 1....came though.

You can live your life with the "sky is falling mentality"... I am not and I am unafraid to let people know, that Quality, high condition according to census GA is ROCK SOLID.

Did you read my 2011 JOACBC...I said bid with your head......on some books, like cap 2...you get one shot every 20 years..and you have to think forward, but you can be passionate in collecting and bid carefully. This guy probably has like..ASM 1 from the 90's and like watchmen...If you have super rare stuff and want to sell in top condition, PM me and lets talk.

I heard you kind of negative thinking, since action comics#1 broke the $250.00 barrier in 1970.. . .

The irony is not lost that shortly after that landmark price, Nixon had to take the U. S. Dollar off the Gold standard to continue the war in SE Asia. That game lasted until fractal banking was invented in recent years.

Btw, it takes $1360 today to have the same purchasing power as your 1970 purchase price.

two key factors:

buyers premium

CA sales tax

+1, not to mention the weak CGC grading (look closely at some of those books that have spine splits - among other problems - yet still rec'd 6.5/7.0 slabs). Did anyone else notice this?

$3,464,000.00 reasons I am right with only 227 billy books with over 100 to go...folks the sky is not falling..quality material will always bring out solid prices. Let the facts speak for themselves and the reality of what is going on here.....

When I first joined CGC, the rule was dust shadows = 7.0 TOPs.

Today the bar is set at 8.5

There is not "cut off" grade for dust shadows. It all depends on the size and severity of the shadow.

Not sure where you heard that rule. Lots of books including Church copies have been sitting in 9.4+ holders, dust shadows and all, since the advent of CGC.

Not sure where you heard that rule. Mile Highs have been sitting in 9.4+ holders, dust shadows and all, since the advent of CGC.

(thumbs u

It has been my personal opinion that over the course of the past seven years, grading of dust shadows have become gradually more lenient.

With respect to the high prices being realized, that's great! As a collector of pre-hero DCs, I can sit back and sip a warm cup of cocoa and feel good about my wall-of-comics. . . . as I prepare to break up the collection before item #2 in the OP occurs. IMHO, the printing of easy money has found a lot of speculators exchanging greenbacks for funnybooks.

Detective Comics #6 5.0 $8962

Detective Comics #8 7.5 $11950

Detective Comics #12 5.0 $3585

Detective Comics #17 8.0 $7767

Detective Comics #18 7.5 $20315

Detective Comics #26 4.0 $5975

:acclaim:

There is not "cut off" grade for dust shadows. It all depends on the size and severity of the shadow.

More to the point -- the people who had the most influence in CGC's grading practices have led the grades to reflect their personal preferences, which don't -- and couldn't ever -- reflect the personal preferences of every collector, or even most of them. Dust shadows are damage accumulated slowly over time and which impact the eye appeal. But the grading reflects a general attitude of overlooking types of damage that were more likely to be found among collections discovered in the "old school" way. Books stored away prior to comic bags tended to have dust shadows and kids' names on them, so it reminds some old school dealers of the way collections were found back in the day. If you don't share that experience or that memory, it might make little sense to you that some books can end up with identical label numbers and yet seem to be vastly different in terms of damage and eye appeal.