• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reading Astonishing X-Men #1 makes me ask X-Universe Questions

25 posts in this topic

When/How did the White Queen end up running the joint?

- http://24.188.68.181:8000/emma.html

What happened to Jean Grey?

- died in New X-Men #150

Where's everyone else? I'm talking about the Byrne era X-cast I grew up reading. Colossus (dead, right?), Nightcrawler, Storm, etc.? Other books? Other teams?

- Colossus = dead UXM, #390

- Nightcrawler = still around, he's in Uncanny i believe

- Wolvie = he's everywhere

- Cyclops = now the headmaster of the school

- Storm is in another X team

- umm, who else?

Where's Xavier?

- in Genosha "trying" to rebuild it after Magneto become ruler of the place. It pretty much destroyed after loads of Sentinels attacked it.

How'd Jean Grey "die?"

- sacrificed herself to save Wolvie after they found out Magneto (who was posing as Xorn) lured them into Asteroid M - which was headed straight for the sun)

When did the White Queen become "good?"

- see link on previous Emma question

Genosha is that mutant island?

- yes

And this, mes amis, is why Ultimate X-Men is so enjoyable and why the rest of the X-Men titles have just sucked for so long. Too much cr@p and continuity baggage. The storyline that marked the end of the good times for the X-Men for me was when they "died" and went to Australia to fight the Reavers and whatnot back in the late '80s or so. Since then, it's been one convoluted storyline after another. 893frustrated.gif

As much as people like to complain about the Ultimate titles, my favorite thing about them is that after a ten-year hiatus away from the hobby, I didn't have sift through a decade of [!@#%^&^] to figure out what had happened to the characters I liked during the years that all of those horrible stories were coming out. I am reading the X- titles again after many years of not reading them, and UXM is the only title where I don't put down the issue when I am done with it and say to myself "What the [!@#%^&^] is going on here?"

Oh come on, continuity has NEVER been a problem with modern comics! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

And this, mes amis, is why Ultimate X-Men is so enjoyable and why the rest of the X-Men titles have just sucked for so long. Too much cr@p and continuity baggage.

But is it really working in the long run?

Consider this- For the first 66 issues of X-MEN, we had Professor X, with his five students: Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast, and Angel. After awhile came Havok and Polaris.

Now, in ULTIMATE X-MEN, we're somewhere around issue 50, and already we have Professor X, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, Beast, Storm, Colossus, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Dazzler, Gambit, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and more that I'm sure I'm sure I'm forgetting. And we've already had a Hellfire Club-saga, a Phoenix-sage, a Mutant X-Saga, and a Weapon X-saga.

It's like, if they keep up this pace, both 616 X-MEN and ULTIMATE X-MEN will be in the same place by the time the later title gets to issue 100.

But is it really working in the long run?

I'm still reading Ultimate X-Men, the last time I regularly bought a mainstream X-Book was in 1992 and even then I didn't really read it. I'd say it's working. There might be a ton going on, but it's all the cool stuff and none of the garbage.

It's like, if they keep up this pace, both 616 X-MEN and ULTIMATE X-MEN will be in the same place by the time the later title gets to issue 100.

And one will almost certainly continue to be readable and the other will still be a convoluted mess.

Fortunately, rare is the modern series in danger of reaching issue 100. tongue.gif