• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 227 - Why so expensive/special ?

81 posts in this topic

In the long run I really don't think this is a book that is going to hold it's value well. By long run I mean like 20 years. I don't think it's cover is going to be enough of a wow factor for those that didn't grow up in the Bonze age, as is the case with a large portion of the comic collecting community with money. Although non major keys may not matter much for all comics books on 20 or 30 years...

Is the story a swipe from Tec 31 .as well? I have about a dozen copies but I'm fairly sure I've never read it. Batbooks from that era just don't do anything for me. The 100 page Batmans and Detectives being the exception to the rule.

The problem in answering your question is not that I have never read Batman 227. The problem is that I have never read Detective 31.

The story in Tec 31 is different from Bats 227. The homage cover is the only connection between the two.

From all I've gathered in the past year, my impression is that 227 is a book that has become symbolic in terms of representing Batman as the "Dark Knight". This is due to all the years of exposure in articles, books, and other media. When you're talking about the Dark Knight, it's just a cool cover to flash when making your point.

I think this creates a lot demand with casual or non-Batman collectors as well as the hardcore fan base, which in turn drives the crazy prices even for lower grade books. People don't care that the interior artwork is mediocre or the story is a little nothing special. They just know that they've seen this book referenced somewhere and it's THE Batman book to get.

In the long run I really don't think this is a book that is going to hold it's value well. By long run I mean like 20 years. I don't think it's cover is going to be enough of a wow factor for those that didn't grow up in the Bonze age, as is the case with a large portion of the comic collecting community with money. Although non major keys may not matter much for all comics books on 20 or 30 years...

i dunno. classic covers are always in demand. that's why they have the designation "classic cover" on the CGC label.

Pre CGC books like Detective #33 featuring the Origin of Batman were considered the next most important book after the first appearance.

Now, post CGC covers have taken over as the primary collectible of choice. Detective #31 is probably the single most sought after Batman cover and demand for that book has overtaken (IMO) all other surrounding books except for #27.

Even though #33 is a much more important book, it's the cover that now drives collectors.

Although I disagree with the market and believe that content should be more valuable than covers, I think now with slabbing here to stay I think we are primarily in a cover driven market and books like Batman #227 will continue to stay popular.

Well, you would think that would be the case, but seeing how exponentially more expensive Tec 31 is compared to earlier issues (other than Tec 27 obviously), you would expect that to happen to Tec '31 as well. Other than the cover, there really isn't anything special about this book. I don't think most collectors even know or care that this book is the first appearance of the "Batarang and Batplane". Next Tec 27, they'll pay through the nose for a book primarily because of it's cover.

I think people who grew up in the Bronze era already knows this book is nothing special. It's other less informed groups that's driving up the price.

Well, you would think that would be the case, but seeing how exponentially more expensive Tec 31 is compared to earlier issues (other than Tec 27 obviously), you would expect that to happen to Tec '31 as well. Other than the cover, there really isn't anything special about this book. I don't think most collectors even know or care that this book is the first appearance of the "Batarang and Batplane". Next Tec 27, they'll pay through the nose for a book primarily because of it's cover.

I think people who grew up in the Bronze era already knows this book is nothing special. It's other less informed groups that's driving up the price.

I agree that the cover is the driving factor for cost increases in this book, I'd agree with the point that this is the case with alot of books, but I disgree that folks don't know there's nothing special about the book. I mean the CGC label spells it out for us. I'm a big horror collector and love my Wrightson, Adams, Cardy, Kaluta covers but OMG the content inside of those books IMHO is atrocious and there is, except rare cases (a letter by T McFarlane or Dave Cochrum or something else retarded like that, maybe first bondage cover or death cover), absolutely nothing key about the book. Some of those horror books, especially the Wrightsons and Adams still kill in prices relative to their content...

i dunno. classic covers are always in demand. that's why they have the designation "classic cover" on the CGC label.

agree, i've bought plenty of books over the years just bc i like the cover

there are tons of collectors that do it as well.......underwater, cards, T&A/GGA i'm sure i can go on

227 is an awsome cover and people will buy it for that reason alone & thoes with money will want the best copy possible or the highest copy that they are happy owning

I don't know about that. This book, along with most of the other Adams DCs and Marvels, appeals to more than those who just grew up in the BA. Most of the collectors I sell to are people like me in their mid 30s who grew up in the Copper Age but appreciate great artwork when we see it just like anyone else. The Adams Batman/Tec run also appeals to Marvel fanboys at shows as well. In fact, I have an easier time selling Adams Bats and Tecs for above guide than SA and BA ASMs at/below guide at most shows.

Sorry but in 20 years I just don't see the comic market being that great. People left spending the big money will probably want Tec 31 and not the overpriced swipe.

I decided to revisit my childhood hobby and have started picking up some comics here and there. I was watching with interest the 22 Feb 2012 Heritage Comic Book auction yesterday. Lots of Golden Age books sold and I was not too surprised at the prices they were fetching. However I did not understand why the Batman 227 went for $4780.00. Sure it was graded 9.8 and you will get no argument from me....the cover is a masterpiece. Neal Adams did a superb job on the cover! But I thought $4780.00 was very high. Are there other reasons (besides the awesome cover) that make this book valuable? Just curious....I may have to start digging through my old comic boxes.....I may have the book......although if I do, it is doubtful it would grade out at 9.8. thanks in advance for any guidance you might be able to provide to enlighten me about Batman 227......cheers....shadowman

It is the clear choice as the quintessential bronze Batman/Dark Knight Gothic cover. Appeals to a wide range of collectors on so many levels. Also still leads the Adams cover poll from last year. It was chosen #1 by the boardies from over 450+ Adams covers that were featured:

Adams Cover Poll

Sorry but in 20 years I just don't see the comic market being that great. People left spending the big money will probably want Tec 31 and not the overpriced swipe.

then why isn't that happening now? the book is almost forty years old. not every joe collector can be a BSD. there's currently a CGC 9.6 BIN $2400 on eBay with no bites.

Yup, I kind of agree with this. 20 yrs from now comic books will be nothing more than digital files on some kid's iPad. Same for books, music and probably 5 years down the road, movies.

then why isn't that happening now? the book is almost forty years old. not every joe collector can be a BSD. there's currently a CGC 9.6 BIN $2400 on eBay with no bites.

If I was to guess I'd say that there's still a trailing group of us Gen Xers who grew up with paper books and computers with a dos prompt.

That would be a good poll if it hasn't already been done, what's the age categories of collector's who are still in the hobby.

I also don't even know if CGC is going to be the business it is in 20 or 30 years, especially with more and more books meeting max potential with alteration now. I also don't know that signature series and sketches will maintain the for the long haul and that's one of the outlets that can allow for ongoing submissions. I just don't see future generations giving a mess abou the comics themselves. Less and less books being published these days, new generations will get their fix from these characters in movies, video games, and TV shows.

Obviously CGC is a powerhouse now when it comes to the comic market, but whenever I have seen the big names that have left the company the past few years it really makes me wonder if others see submissions and income siginificantly dropping in the future.

Yup, I kind of agree with this. 20 yrs from now comic books will be nothing more than digital files on some kid's iPad. Same for books, music and probably 5 years down the road, movies.

you think there are still going to iPad's twenty years from now? hm

Hey. How did all the serious discussion move from the BA thread to here? Was it all the talk about "fisting" that drove everyone away? ;)

I don't know if anything, the fisting action was a draw for me. :)

you think there are still going to iPad's twenty years from now? hm

Well, I wouldn't assume in that form. I'm thinking a chip embedded in your skull that transmits images directly to your occular sensors. Kind of like that futurama episode. :grin: