• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 227 - Why so expensive/special ?

81 posts in this topic

A few boardies (Sterling, I'm looking at you) were a large part of that craze. Harder to find "classic" covers starting selling in the $1000's in top grades.

Guilty. :baiting:

Sterling shouldn't get singled out.

Seeing books show up in 9.6 and 9.8 that I had never seen above VF started for me in 2002-2003. When Guy Lacey sold his books, that was a real eye opener, then being introduced to this place was the real kicker.

I honestly believed that all of those Bronze books were in short supply and were possibly never to be seen again. I hardly ever won any of them, but I sure as hell contributed to the runup.

A few boardies (Sterling, I'm looking at you) were a large part of that craze. Harder to find "classic" covers starting selling in the $1000's in top grades.

Oh, I wasn't singling him out. He was the only one I remembered.

I'm probably the last man standing, too. :facepalm:

They're great books. I'm going to put a raw run together soon.

;)

My mistake. I don't know how i could have thought "Sterling, I'm looking at you" singled Sterling out. Mea Culpa.

Seeing books show up in 9.6 and 9.8 that I had never seen above VF started for me in 2002-2003. When Guy Lacey sold his books, that was a real eye opener, then being introduced to this place was the real kicker.

I honestly believed that all of those Bronze books were in short supply and were possibly never to be seen again. I hardly ever won any of them, but I sure as hell contributed to the runup.

:popcorn:

My mistake. I don't know how i could have thought "Sterling, I'm looking at you" singled Sterling out. Mea Culpa.

:foryou:

I didn't mean to single him out in the negative sense. I just didn't remember any of the other players from that time period.

I assumed you'd meant it in a negative sense.

Yes, I did single him out.

Yes I regret texting you to join General on a Friday night.

:whatev:

Where have you been?

I dunno, a cave I guess. I didn't realize some of you guys were bundling and securitizing bronze age Horror books thus causing a collapse in the bronze age horror market. :)

But, that was my point. The books can be non-key and expensive. Not because the buyer's aren't aware that there's nothing really special or key but maybe because we really like the cover and cover artist. I mean, really, the books have no intrinsic value themselves beyond what we collectors assign to them. It's not like they're rare earth metals, or real estate.

Are there other reasons (besides the awesome cover) that make this book valuable?

First Bronze Age appearance of the weeping Batman?

60480-lastpg.jpg

So Batsies fell in love with a ghost?

Cool, huh?

I wonder if the writer got his idea from the Karloff movie, The Terror that came out in '64? Jack Nicholson plays a French Lieutenant during the Napoleonic wars who hooks up with some ghost at a castle trying to get revenge on her husband who murdered her. At the end, they start making out and she starts melting and turns into a corpse. Of course Jack Nicholson did not turn into a weeping mess either.

It's on Netflix, I enjoyed it, very atmospheric and Karloff and Nicholson were awesome. I give it a thumbs up. (thumbs u

I wouldn't worry about it. I was checking out your sets in the registry and they are very nice. And after all, WTF, it's only money, right....

Are there other reasons (besides the awesome cover) that make this book valuable?

First Bronze Age appearance of the weeping Batman?

60480-lastpg.jpg

So Batsies fell in love with a ghost?

Cool, huh?

I wonder if the writer got his idea from the Karloff movie, The Terror that came out in '64? Jack Nicholson plays a French Lieutenant during the Napoleonic wars who hooks up with some ghost at a castle trying to get revenge on her husband who murdered her. At the end, they start making out and she starts melting and turns into a corpse. Of course Jack Nicholson did not turn into a weeping mess either.

It's on Netflix, I enjoyed it, very atmospheric and Karloff and Nicholson were awesome. I give it a thumbs up. (thumbs u

I don't know whether the The Terror was the influence, but I did get what the writer was coming across with this. Bats meets this strange girl and as he escapes with her, he is overtaken by what seems to be spiritual force of some type (probably the girl's real lover) and is compelled to reenact feelings of love for her. He does not have a clue why it's happening, but he does not fight it. The backdrop of the story seems to indicate there's some sort of history with the girl, the castle, and the cult.

The only problem is that the story is only 16 pages long and to squeeze something like this into it, I think it comes across very hokey like a lot of the stories in this era. Might have been more believable if they just left this part out of it and made it a straight action yarn with no ghosts or supernatural elements. With only 16 pages to work with, just let Bats take names and kick butt.

... I scored my 9.6 for ~200. I mean I guess you could say the moss men in the Bernie Wrightson story were progenitors or working models for Swamp Thing. But the stores are not tied and that's not listed in the label. Nice cover, but otherwise, absolutely nothing key about this book.

$(KGrHqN,!iEE8I)b!hHWBPQv554q5!~~60_57.JPG

9.6 or 9.4?

... I scored my 9.6 for ~200. I mean I guess you could say the moss men in the Bernie Wrightson story were progenitors or working models for Swamp Thing. But the stores are not tied and that's not listed in the label. Nice cover, but otherwise, absolutely nothing key about this book.

$(KGrHqN,!iEE8I)b!hHWBPQv554q5!~~60_57.JPG

9.6 or 9.4?

Mine's 9.6, the pic is just a random 9.4 I linked to on eBay...

I wouldn't worry about it. I was checking out your sets in the registry and they are very nice. And after all, WTF, it's only money, right....

Thanks dude!

On the later point, don't tell my wife that... :tonofbricks:

You and me both, man. Not that I'm saying I fear my wife, per se....

:)