• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CRY BABY WHINING CHEAP "COLLECTORS"

16 posts in this topic

i was just reading the post "where do dealers get their prices from" and it seems fairly obvious that this is just another case of some collectors who unfortunately, cannot afford some of the books they want for the prices some dealers are asking.

welcome to the real world.

why should a dealer lower his price a great deal just for some collector? why should a dealer price books at what some collector thinks is fair?

i think $750 for a 9.2 o/w to w ff 50 is fair but will i find one at that price, probably not.

dealers price books based on a number of factors , amongst them 1) what they had to pay to get hold of the book 2) their overheads and 3) some ratio of overstreet amongst other factors

so if a book is too pricey for you, dont buy it, no one is holding a gun to your head, dont cry and whine about some dealers prices being too expensive, just learn to live with it or a lower grade copy. buddhist teaching states the cause of all suffering is desire, wanting is suffering. we want a comic, we cant have it, we suffer, its pretty simple really.

i would love to have a mercedes benz sports, can i afford it? no, so i have to be happy with my honda civic. am i moaning and person_without_enough_empathying ad nauseum about it? no.

its a sad fact some collectors have a hard time dealing with , the fact that some of them cant afford some of the books they want.

Hi All: It sure is enlightning reading the posts from some of the "collectors" on these boards complaining about dealer pricing. Although I don't consider myself a dealer I have let go of some books in my collection to move to other areas of collecting. We all are only caretakers of the "stuff" we accumulate and it will eventually move on to others.

How many of you would want to put in the time to drag your stock all over the country, put in countless number of hours, lay out thousands of dollars for books that are made of cheap paper, and deal with crybaby nickle and dime collectors.

Then you stand back and say, wow, I hope that I am at least making minimum wage.

In my opinion books that are on most peoples want lists will never be attainable.

1. Because they probably can't afford them

2. There are collectors who will fly, drive, or walk 1000s of miles to buy what they want.

3. So what if you say they are wealthy dumb f#*>< who are overpaying for comics. Don't be so jealous, someday you may be there.

Is this a great country or what!

Best, Tom

i was just reading the post "where do dealers get their prices from" and it seems fairly obvious that this is just another case of some collectors who unfortunately, cannot afford some of the books they want for the prices some dealers are asking.

It'll be nice if you knew what your talking about. I've spent over $2000 on back issue comics over the last two months. As much as others, probably not, but not chump change either. shocked.gif

Jim

You missed the main point, which is: why pay more for the same book when you can get it for less? All dealers do NOT sell the same books for the same price. Read the topic title again, it's asking why? If a small dealer can "afford" to sell the same book for less than a large dealer, why is that? It's funny though that dealers have been getting pissed, when they are the biggest hagglers of all. lol! laugh.gif

If you want to compare "small" dealers with "big" dealers, thats fine.. let's compare their customer base too .. the bigger dealers probably have a larger customer base which probably means more people probably want it in that base.. so demand is higher, therefore, their prices can be higher.. it's simple economics.. why can't people understand that?

If a small dealer can "afford" to sell the same book for less than a large dealer, why is that? It's funny though that dealers have been getting pissed, when they are the biggest hagglers of all. lol!

I'm a small dealer (if even that) and part-time at it so I can afford (most likely not) to let it go for lower because, I have held it "too long" in my inventory at that price, I may not have too much at stake on this sale and have another livelihood with which I support my family and daily living. However if you are hoping that the sale of this book contributes to next month's rent or Diamond order, then you may not be as willing to come down on prices. It also depends on the small time dealers' current life situation. What he has a big move planned? An addition to the family? A new car? Business expansion? These may all factor in the need for immediate liquid assets and lowering the price of a high grade key may get him exactly that. Long time dealers may be more stable, have more inventory and alternative sources of revenue (ie, other key highgrade issues) that they can maintain "price integrity" on an item instead of selling it at a loss. We shouldn't begrudge the dealers that.

My opinion is that if a seller wants to price items as they wish, whether they are out of touch with current market value, that is their prerogative. As it is the buyers' prerogative not to conduct business with that seller. How simple is that.

The original sentiment "Why do dealers price certain books the way they do when others are available for less?" can be answered by "Because they feel there is someone out there who will be happy to pay that price and that will satisfy all"

Those who sell items for lower, the discounters, or wholesalers are hurting those other dealers who won't/can't come down on price without taking a loss. It's just competition at its best. grin.gif

Okay ye of vocabulaic acumen - what's the longest 1-syllable word

I know of two - strengths and screeched. Do you know another?

I have one - what is the longest word without repeating a letter?

I've got two other 9 letter words...but that's about as long as it gets. Not that 9 isn't long enough, after all "'tis not the length of the wand, but the magic it possesses."

I'm a small dealer (if even that) and part-time at it so I can afford (most likely not) to let it go for lower because, I have held it "too long" in my inventory at that price, I may not have too much at stake on this sale and have another livelihood with which I support my family and daily living.

Your perspective of buying/selling is different from someone that is primarily a buyer, and different from the guy that CHOOSES to make a living selling comic books. However your perspective does provide insight into both buying and selling.

However if you are hoping that the sale of this book contributes to next month's rent or Diamond order, then you may not be as willing to come down on prices.

Hopefully a dealer is intelligent enough to NOT put all of their "eggs in one basket". In other words, hopefully they have OTHER books "priced to move". When the market fails to respond to inflated prices, then dealers will either lower their prices or if they persist in demanding premiums eventually go out of business.

It also depends on the small time dealers' current life situation. What he has a big move planned? An addition to the family? A new car? Business expansion? These may all factor in the need for immediate liquid assets and lowering the price of a high grade key may get him exactly that.

IMO, it is a mistake for dealers to price books according to their desired lifestyle. In other words, I'm not gonna pay $1,000 for a CGC 10.0 Dazzler # 1 just to help you get that Lamborgini that you've always wanted. Now if you were to sell me 1,000 NM Hulk # 340's for $5 each that you paid $1 or less for, then I would be getting a good deal, and you would be making profit. How you choose to spend profit is up to you, what people are willing to give for said book is determined by the entire market as a whole.

Long time dealers may be more stable, have more inventory and alternative sources of revenue (ie, other key highgrade issues) that they can maintain "price integrity" on an item instead of selling it at a loss. We shouldn't begrudge the dealers that.

That is true, about long time dealers, but the point I might argue is where you said "selling it at a loss". Before eBay and CGC, the comic book market just about died alltogether. I would guess that long before eBay, dealers were able to purchase books MUCH cheaper, and then turn around and sell to a customer for MANY times what they paid. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, long time dealers should NOT find themselves in a situation where they "sell at a loss" because they should have the buying power to get THE best price on the planet. IMO, it is often more about GREED than selling it at a loss. In other words, instead of making $100 profit, they want to make $200 profit. Anyway, do I begrudge dealers? Nah, I don't begrudge them, I simply say "no thanks" and move on to other people that want to make a sale more than the dealer.

My opinion is that if a seller wants to price items as they wish, whether they are out of touch with current market value, that is their prerogative. As it is the buyers' prerogative not to conduct business with that seller. How simple is that.

I agree, for the most part. The only thing I would add is this: that both the buyer and seller make EDUCATED decisions. In other words, both the buyer and seller having full knowledge of what is being sold, and what the current market value is. If a buyer is willing to pay highly inflated prices, then hey it's the dealers book, and it's the buyers money and both are entitled to do as they wish.

Those who sell items for lower, the discounters, or wholesalers are hurting those other dealers who won't/can't come down on price without taking a loss. It's just competition at its best.

...and THANK GOD for those discounters and wholesalers, if it were not for them, I would have never came back to the hobby. Also, because of eBay, the average Joe CAN make more money on a book than they ever could trying to sell to a dealer...but nobody wants to talk about that. tongue.gif