• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Con ticket purchasing

33 posts in this topic

So, I'm curious what everyone, well everyone that doesn't have tickets, thinks of the new ticket registration process. Apparently if you wish to purchase tickets you can plan on a 3-4 hour online queue that will provide your number in line. In the event you are above #40,000 in line, plan on no tickets being available. As far as notification of ticket sales, they will come via email in "waves" to prevent server crashes. A nice pdf file explains all the "tips and tricks" for obtaining your tickets.

Tips and tricks to obtain tickets to a comic con hm

As far as notification of ticket sales, they will come via email in "waves" to prevent server crashes. A nice pdf file explains all the "tips and tricks" for obtaining your tickets.

Tips and tricks to obtain tickets to a comic con hm

Unfortunately, this ticket queue is what you get when 200,000 fans want to go to SDCC, but the fire marshall states the buildings can only hold 128,000 collectors, dealers, retailers, publishers, distributors, etc. :slapfight:

I'm on the fence as well. I would like to experience a SDCC at least once, but I wonder if it would be so much hassle that I would hate the experience. I'm not keen on spending that kind of time and money to have a mediocre at best show experience when other shows are cheaper, easier to get to/into, and are awesome.

SDCC is getting out of hand. I blame the promoters for throwing every little actor/film/gaming/tv host .

They need to splitt the show in two. Have a four day even with just media/movie guests, and then do a seperate comic book/whatever else is left show.

Two shows a year.

I'm on the fence as well. I would like to experience a SDCC at least once, but I wonder if it would be so much hassle that I would hate the experience. I'm not keen on spending that kind of time and money to have a mediocre at best show experience when other shows are cheaper, easier to get to/into, and are awesome.

Despite the hassle still the best con I've ever been to. You can probably do better on a dollars to experience basis at shows like emerald city or heroes but taking out the expense no show compares to sdcc.

The new process sucks. Should have stayed the same like before. No issues before. Go to Con. But TIX for next year's Con when you are there. Now this stupid process. Those who were lucky to get TIX last year camped out for them. Single and married people. You can't do that if you have a family.

To bad they don't sell TIX to those who actually buy stuff there. They will be losing some $ when I don't go if I can't get TIX. I'll stop my complaining now.

Despite the hassle still the best con I've ever been to. You can probably do better on a dollars to experience basis at shows like emerald city or heroes but taking out the expense no show compares to sdcc.

I disagree. If you are talking comic books, I've been to shows that are just as good if not better than San Diego. If you're talking about celebrities and having Hollywood smoke blown up your arse, San Diego is the tops.

The new process sucks. Should have stayed the same like before. No issues before. Go to Con. But TIX for next year's Con when you are there. Now this stupid process. Those who were lucky to get TIX last year camped out for them. Single and married people. You can't do that if you have a family.

To bad they don't sell TIX to those who actually buy stuff there. They will be losing some $ when I don't go if I can't get TIX. I'll stop my complaining now.

I was so pizzed last year,having to camp out in a line all night long to get tickets.I didn't even get to sleep in my hotel that I paid 600 dollars to stay in. :pullhair: I will not be doing that again.

I was so pizzed last year,having to camp out in a line all night long to get tickets.I didn't even get to sleep in my hotel that I paid 600 dollars to stay in. :pullhair: I will not be doing that again.

OMG. Doesn't seem like it would be worth the hassle. And you can buy a nice comic book for $600 too!

I had my wife and daughter with me last year and got tix. How is it you can't get them with a fam?

I think they'll be ok with one less person. But I could do without the campers. It's getting to be a sport there.

I had my wife and daughter with me last year and got tix. How is it you can't get them with a fam?

I think they'll be ok with one less person. But I could do without the campers. It's getting to be a sport there.

I probably used the wrong words. With small children or babies. It is hard to wake up and have a 2 year old with you for hours early in the AM with people around you talking and stuff. When I did try to go twice, then gave up. They didn't even let us in line because they were at capacity already.

I probably used the wrong words. With small children or babies. It is hard to wake up and have a 2 year old with you for hours early in the AM with people around you talking and stuff. When I did try to go twice, then gave up. They didn't even let us in line because they were at capacity already.

It was such a cluster F last year.My wife and I are actually considering not going in 2013 and using the money to go to New York city for the holidays.Scratch that off our bucket list. (thumbs u

It was such a cluster F last year.My wife and I are actually considering not going in 2013 and using the money to go to New York city for the holidays.Scratch that off our bucket list. (thumbs u

We may be going to Dineyland instead this year if no TX this year and if they do the selling of TIX like 2012 for next year, Oh well. Daughter loves the SDCC and ask for it all the time.

While San Diego is not the best comic show in the country (Baltimore, Charlotte, Chicago, Yorba Linda and others are all much better comic book shows) it is an experience to behold. The weather is gorgeous, the city is small but historic and fun and the con is like visiting the circus or carnival...it has to be experienced to put it into perspective. The entire city transforms into Comic Con.

It's may not be something you'll want to do every year but it is an unforgettable experience.

Yep. If your wife also wanted tix you were stuck. My wife doesn't attend so could stay in the room with our 2 year old. For some reason I thought you could get 2 as long as you were holding the member id card. Got lucky last year and hit it on day 1 plus stayed at the Hyatt. Hopefully they'll fix it this year.

It has become almost absurd what's happened in the last 4 years with tickets.

And this is why every year buying next year's tix is always the first thing I do at SDCC. Like standing in line at 530am Thursday morning. Yah it's a hassle, but it's better than stressing about the new purchase procedure or wondering why it can't be how it used to be. Like what I posted in in the SDCC Facebook Page, veterans need to adapt to the changes, coz SDCC is not accommodate those left behind.

CCI throws 3 shows: Wondercon is coming up next month, and APE in NorCal, and yah SDCC. WC & APE are smaller shows and focuses more on comics & collectibles. While SDCC covers everything, and has become an annual affair for me that everyone in my workplace knows I'm asking for that week off every year.

It's the best show I go to, and the $175 badges for Thurs to Sun, plus Preview Night Weds is worth every penny. It's my fave convention coz it has everything I want under one roof: comics, collectibles, movies/tv shows, toys, video games, apparel, etc.

And yah SDCC generates so much money for the city of San Diego that the vibe of the entire city turns into Comic Mode. The city provides free shuttle to surrounding hotels, billboards all over the city, buses covered with comic-related decals. And the Gaslamp District is like having a comic convention out in public: bars, restaurants clubs catering to all SDCC participants. Like a couple of years ago, the entire cast of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World picked 50 lucky kids from the panel, and walked from the convention to the near-by theater for an advance screening. Last year, Cirque du Soleil also had a free show outside the halls. And correct men if I'm wrong, but I think last year's SDCC was Harrison Ford and Sigourney Weaver's very first con of any kind.

The big hunchos Marvel & DC knows whats up with SDCC too so they go all out in their exhibit booths. My fave was Jim Lee's LIVE drawing instruction at the DC booth a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I'm babbling. Obviously a big SDCC fan here.