• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Con ticket purchasing

33 posts in this topic

I went a couple times earlier than the previous time and got turned away. Almost got up early for Saturday but thought it best to get into a line for a panel I wanted to see.

My personal belief last year was that Hall H programming was such a bust that it made every other panel that much more diffucult to see. I spent 4 hours in the hot sun for Saturday's Hilton ballroom. (no tent, ty hilton) I talked to a guy that waited 5 hrs for Game of Thrones and didnt get in. Was also told the line for 7pm ish Mythbusters was crazy long at noon. Getting into most panels is just an unpleasent experience.

I learned not to camp out for swag. Monday after the show there are 10,000 SDCC items on Ebay.

I don't really do long lines and it makes for a fun con. I'll just come back later or miss. A few years ago when the Hal Jordan blackest night figures were huge I randomly walked up to the booth early when there wadn't a line and asked about figures. They didn't have any from that day they could sell but the attendant said they had a few left from the day before. Awesome! Dropped my $30 and walked away with a figure. No muss no fuss. And I didn't wait in line.

Sometimes I miss something that would have been cool but I always discover something interesting instead. That's the fun of sdcc for me. I go for comics and my friends. Everything else is bonus. If you love comics I think it is a great show. Let the hall H crowd have hall H I say.

I'm on the fence as well. I would like to experience a SDCC at least once, but I wonder if it would be so much hassle that I would hate the experience. I'm not keen on spending that kind of time and money to have a mediocre at best show experience when other shows are cheaper, easier to get to/into, and are awesome.

You can probably do better on a dollars to experience basis at shows like emerald city or heroes but taking out the expense no show compares to sdcc.

In a perfect world that would be nice to contemplate, but expense has to be a big part of the equation for me. If I can go to two good comic shows for what it would cost me to do SDCC I know what I'm going to pick.

As I noted in my original post, if you were able to purchase tickets for this year at the show last year then this topic is of no consequence for you. Those that did not attend last year are the ones impacted by the new process.

As an aside, I'm wondering if they will make tickets available onsite this year for next years show or if they will fully utilize this new ticketing process and eliminate the lines and camping out for next years tickets.

I find it odd that out of all the potential options available to address the overcrowding issue they chose to develop and institute a new ticketing process. If the process was designed to discourage potential ticket buyers, I'm sure they've succeeded to some extent.

As an aside, I'm wondering if they will make tickets available onsite this year for next years show or if they will fully utilize this new ticketing process and eliminate the lines and camping out for next years tickets.

From what I'm hearing, there will be no 2013 ticket sales at this year's show.

Where did you hear that?

why's it so hard to get tix? Getting them for NYCC is super simple.

NYCC is a relatively new comicon from about 5 years running. SDCC has been growing since 1970. Entire city of SD welcomes comic-con: convention ctr that spans 2 city blocks and 2 floors (too small) :makepoint: , Gaslamp pub area, Hotel Circle for discounted hotels, Balboa Park with over 18 museums including space and aviation, art, ceramics, photos, Spanish architecture.

SDCC has rented extra vast space to promote major films in surrounding baseball stadium or to promote at sci-fi TV series on the deck of a full-size USA aircraft carrier :headbang: , and surrounding major hotel chain convention space. Still to small, as attendance was capped at 128,000 ppl over 5 years ago.

That is why the Twilight fans will sleep in the streets to line up all night to get into Hall H. :ohnoez: Fans will line up 2 hours in the morning just to get a ticket to allow one to line up AGAIN during a 1 hr time slot to purchase an exclusive toy that may be allocated to avoid hording and eBay flipping that evening!

why's it so hard to get tix? Getting them for NYCC is super simple.

NYCC is a relatively new comicon from about 5 years running. SDCC has been growing since 1970. Entire city of SD welcomes comic-con: convention ctr that spans 2 city blocks and 2 floors (too small) :makepoint: , Gaslamp pub area, Hotel Circle for discounted hotels, Balboa Park with over 18 museums including space and aviation, art, ceramics, photos, Spanish architecture.

SDCC has rented extra vast space to promote major films in surrounding baseball stadium or to promote at sci-fi TV series on the deck of a full-size USA aircraft carrier :headbang: , and surrounding major hotel chain convention space. Still to small, as attendance was capped at 128,000 ppl over 5 years ago.

That is why the Twilight fans will sleep in the streets to line up all night to get into Hall H. :ohnoez: Fans will line up 2 hours in the morning just to get a ticket to allow one to line up AGAIN during a 1 hr time slot to purchase an exclusive toy that may be allocated to avoid hording and eBay flipping that evening!

Yup. It's hard to explain SD Comic Con until you experience it.

The whole city literally converts into Comic Con mode...stores, bars, restaurants. Some shops even close up shop, empty out their stores and rent them out for people who want to set up just for Comic Con weekend.

It's a pretty neat vibe.

Where did you hear that?

Comic-Con 2013

Where did you hear that?

Comic-Con 2013

This is old news and I believe was debunked last year when it happened. I'll see if I can find it.

Where did you hear that?

Comic-Con 2013

This is old news and I believe was debunked last year when it happened. I'll see if I can find it.

This article on The Beat, reported the same. At the time I posted (last comment in the thread) that CCI said on their FB page:

"Regarding pre-sale onsite next year. We really are trying to best we can to make this work as best as possible. Thank you for your input. It really does help us. So, as of right now, no decision has been made on pre-reg for next year."

Remember that everybody was hot during this period because of the camping, member id's, etc. I think probably somebody who had some weight threw something out there in anger and later regretted it.

That said, I haven't seen *anything* one way or another since this guy uttered those words besides this semi-retraction. They've changed pre-reg and ticket sales every year for the past 4 years -- I don't see any reason they wouldn't change again for 2013. I'm still very much hoping that by 'on-site pre-reg' they mean 'stand in line at some spot' and that they'll leverage the member ID system and this year's sales process to figure out a way to pre-reg folks at the show this year completely online during the show.

Make sure you bring your smart phone or tablet.