• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15, 5.0 vs. Hulk 181, 9.8

56 posts in this topic

Was wondering which you would choose if you could only pick 1 of the following 2:

AF 15, CGC 5.0 Cream/OW (no chipping at all)

or...

Hulk 181, CGC 9.8 (W pages)

Depends on why you are buying.

If you're a Wolverine or a Spidey fan, you'd probably choose based on your fan preference.

If you're buying for investment you'd gravitate towards the character that is universally more popular.

There are people who buy comics that don't look to values (rising or falling) to make a decision.

They simply buy what they like. They do exist.

All depends on why you are buying.

Thanks for all the feedback. But keep in mind I was asking what YOU would do - not what others would do. The overwhelming consensus is that most people would choose the AF15...

Also looks like many (most?) of us buy ALSO for investment purposes. I am a collector all the way, but still think about future value when I am deciding on whether to purchase A or B...

Keep in mind that given that, I still only collect what I like (i.e., what I bought growing up)

Thanks for all the feedback. But keep in mind I was asking what YOU would do - not what others would do. The overwhelming consensus is that most people would choose the AF15...

Also looks like many (most?) of us buy ALSO for investment purposes. I am a collector all the way, but still think about future value when I am deciding on whether to purchase A or B...

Keep in mind that given that, I still only collect what I like (i.e., what I bought growing up)

In that case, I'd buy whichever fetches me the most money for immediate resale and then buy a JIM #83 with the proceeds.

:grin:

why JIM 83 in particular? You must have owned hundreds of them?

Sure, but it just happens to be my favourite key book right now. I'd rather own a JIm #83 than an AF #15, grade for grade.

I'm a huge Marvel zombie but I've never been a rabid Spidey fan. His stuff is fun to read but I was first and foremost an FF collector with a deep affection for Daredevil as well.

I never loved Thor as a kid but his stuff has grown on me in the last few years and is my fave right now and has been for some time.

Rule #1, never pay ultra prices for a 9.8 Bronze. They always continue to fall. AF15 on the other hand? They're vanishing rapidly. Grab it while you can.

I would also take the AF #15 - but I disagree with your 4th sentence. Just do a casual glance at any show or ebay and there are tons of them for sale. This is what drives me nuts as to why the price is so sky high...friggin fan-boys.

Like me :fear:

Rule #1, never pay ultra prices for a 9.8 Bronze. They always continue to fall. AF15 on the other hand? They're vanishing rapidly. Grab it while you can.

I would also take the AF #15 - but I disagree with your 4th sentence. Just do a casual glance at any show or ebay and there are tons of them for sale. This is what drives me nuts as to why the price is so sky high...friggin fan-boys.

maybe high supply, but even higher demand.

Sure, but it just happens to be my favourite key book right now. I'd rather own a JIm #83 than an AF #15, grade for grade.

I'm a huge Marvel zombie but I've never been a rabid Spidey fan. His stuff is fun to read but I was first and foremost an FF collector with a deep affection for Daredevil as well.

I never loved Thor as a kid but his stuff has grown on me in the last few years and is my fave right now and has been for some time.

FF 12 or JIM 83 what is your favorite Roy?

maybe high supply, but even higher demand.

Older books disappear over time. They disappear, deteriorate, get destroyed, get forgotten and lost.

There used to be stacks and stacks of Golden Age books on dealers table, all in high grade decades ago. Now they are non existent.

Eventually, AF #15 along with all other SA books will get increasingly more difficult to find.

They'll not disappear as quickly as GA books because more people are preserving them than GA books were back in the day, but paper cannot resist time.

FF 12 or JIM 83 what is your favorite Roy?

I consider FF #12, JIM #89 and SS #4 the 3 greatest, most iconic covers of the Silver Age.

FF #12 is also one of the coolest books of the Silver Age IMO.

JIM #83 is my favourite key to read.

(thumbs u