• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

.cbr, DigiCom opinions

17 posts in this topic

Print media will eventually be obsolete as more and more people adapt to modern technology that will just keep getting better.

I have some collector friends who completely gave up buying raws and just download the torrents. And they just get slabbed copies of nostalgic issues. Digital copies of current issues are available for purchase. But the cyber black market out there has been a quick resource of classic runs and story lines, and it's for free. Pretty much someone out there has the patience to scan every page of an issue and upload it for free downloading.

What do you all think? How is it affecting the comic economy? The collecting factor?

I'm fairly opposed to the concept of torrented comics.

It's probably single-handedly destroyed the lower price range back issue resale market and the thought of some scumbag distributing an unlicensed scanned copy before floppy even has a chance to hit the stores pretty much disgusts me.

That said, I'm actually pro-digital distribution. These days I only buy my moderns to read on my iPad (Via comixology). Yes, it's relatively expensive in that it's only marginally cheaper than floppy copy but I can get my books on a Wednesday rather than waiting till Friday. I've got my current books readily at hand for a sneaky read at work. Plus I'm always guaranteed a 10.0

Digital will be the inevitable next generation of almost all mass produced media and anything that increases the reader base for our beloved hobby is ok by me. Comics are once again becoming cool due to their accessibility via new technologies.

I would hope that as digital media begins to replace more traditional methods, hard copy back issues may become more desirable for the true collector.

Just my 2 pence worth.

I personally hate the idea of digital comics and will always prefer to have mine in hand as I would do a book.

Why does the "digital" age have to be the death of everything? Why not just plug yourself into the matrix and get an RFID chip inserted in your arm at the same time.

I'm not anti-technology in the least as I love my PS3 and always looking for the next big game to play and I also think the iPod was a real innovation when it came to music as I didn't have to carry around tons of CDs.

But something tangible like a comic book or even a book for that matter, the pleasure I still get from browsing a comic shop or a book shop to me will be lost if you believe standard comics will become obsolete. I know I'd prefer to see my 5 yrd old nephew with a comic book in his hand rather then a iPad.

I personally hate the idea of digital comics and will always prefer to have mine in hand as I would do a book.

Why does the "digital" age have to be the death of everything? Why not just plug yourself into the matrix and get an RFID chip inserted in your arm at the same time.

I'm not anti-technology in the least as I love my PS3 and always looking for the next big game to play and I also think the iPod was a real innovation when it came to music as I didn't have to carry around tons of CDs.

But something tangible like a comic book or even a book for that matter, the pleasure I still get from browsing a comic shop or a book shop to me will be lost if you believe standard comics will become obsolete. I know I'd prefer to see my 5 yrd old nephew with a comic book in his hand rather then a iPad.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I love technology and with a household of 3 people we have 6 working PC's, 2 iPads, iPhone and most game consols... but I just can't click "buy" on the digital comics. I tried, but I can't do it. I do it with Music and Magazine, but my comics I need in my hand.

And I read ALL my floppys and with over 10.000 books I think I am a collector.

I would love to own every comic I have as a reader on my iPad, but I can't pay (or don't want to) twice for it.

Great thread! Inevitably, floppies will decline as Digital takes a hold .. and I'm kinda okay with that.

At the moment, I still buy a ruck load of floppies every Wednesday; but keep a lookout on Comixology on my iPad for great deals (the first 20 issues of 'Kamandi' for .69p each? AWESOME! I'll take 'em).

I also collect Omnibus and Marvel Masterworks for my Silver Age fix (after having my original Silver and Modern Age floppies Custom Bound) .. and I keep a keen lookout for CGC slabs too.

I think the main thing is: keep enjoying your comics, whichever way technology moves.

Plus I'm always guaranteed a 10.0

Comics are once again becoming cool due to their accessibility via new technologies.

Those are the two biggest impacts imho.

With collecting focused on nano-defects and today's nosebleed prices, .cbr provides fandom access to back issues...minus all the bs that's evolved around paper-mediums.

Comics becoming cool is major, and digital has that potential to put comic books right back in the pop-culture mainstream where they belong. :wishluck:

Comics are once again becoming cool due to their accessibility via new technologies.

With collecting focused on nano-defects and today's nosebleed prices, .cbr provides fandom access to back issues...minus all the bs that's evolved around paper-mediums.

Comics becoming cool is major, and digital has that potential to put comic books right back in the pop-culture mainstream where they belong. :wishluck:

Digital will be the great divide between those who read comics and those who collect them.

I wonder how this will affect CGC

Nowadays, downloading pirated issues is as easy as downloading mp3s or movies. At first I was just "wow, somebody scanned every single page?" then I later found a copy of Hunger Games re-typed by the uploader. There just people out there who has that Damn The Man attitude.

Not gonna lie, I downloaded the entire Flashpoint saga when the New 52 was first brought up.

Digital will be the great divide between those who read comics and those who collect them.

I wonder how this will affect CGC

I read moderns.

I collect only the main Batman title.

Either way I will "still" want my comics how they are delivered to me now. My question is, does everything have to dissappear into the ether?

Either way I will "still" want my comics how they are delivered to me now. My question is, does everything have to dissappear into the ether?

That they don't was the point, I think. (shrug)

Apparently while one sector was busy pretending comic books were coins, another sector of fandom sprang up organically as the DCP (Digital Comics Preservation) movement. Had to be a labor of love, if you think about it. Sitting around scanning back issues? Ugh. :sick:

Anyway, they strike me as the same type of folks who did microfiche back in the 70s. In fact, many of the early Golden Age .cbr files are from those old microfiche if the pages weren't available.

The press tagged them "pirates". But with reports of up to 80% of what was published being scanned it doesn't fit "money" as a primary motivator. That's a hell of a lot of volunteer hours & a herculean task.

So my guess is that DCP movement was an authentic expression of fandom. No different that putting comics in coin holders and fussing over perfection. Just a different approach to preserving what is cherished.

That they don't was the point, I think. (shrug)

Apparently while one sector was busy pretending comic books were coins, another sector of fandom sprang up organically as the DCP (Digital Comics Preservation) movement. Had to be a labor of love, if you think about it. Sitting around scanning back issues? Ugh. :sick:

Anyway, they strike me as the same type of folks who did microfiche back in the 70s. In fact, many of the early Golden Age .cbr files are from those old microfiche if the pages weren't available.

The press tagged them "pirates". But with reports of up to 80% of what was published being scanned it doesn't fit "money" as a primary motivator. That's a hell of a lot of volunteer hours & a herculean task.

So my guess is that DCP movement was an authentic expression of fandom. No different that putting comics in coin holders and fussing over perfection. Just a different approach to preserving what is cherished.

Those DCP scans are of a pretty good quality

Occasionally, reading comics on the computer has gotten me into a series that I wouldn't have picked up otherwise.

I think the bonus for any would-be comics readers is that you don't have to look for a store, you don't have to deal with any social stigma that you might perceive is attached to being a comic book reader. People who wouldn't have read one ever might read lots, digitally.

DigiComs in my iPad looks more vivid than printed copies. And since I actually carry my iPad a lot, I find it more portable than the floppies. Plus I've gotten a lot of wow and cool comments from people who are surprised to see that I'm reading something in my iPad that they read before as a comic.

DigiComs in my iPad looks more vivid than printed copies. And since I actually carry my iPad a lot, I find it more portable than the floppies. Plus I've gotten a lot of wow and cool comments from people who are surprised to see that I'm reading something in my iPad that they read before as a comic.

As more comics are drawn, inked, colored and lettered on screen, digital is like experiencing the "director's cut".

Some digital effects are bound to be lessened or lost when translated to print.