• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Flash, 18 years on

20 posts in this topic

It's 18 years now since Barry Allen sacrificied himself to save the universe mad.gif

Barry got the job in 1956, so he was the Flash for 30 years, but he only had a few appearances before his title started in 1959, which was 27 years.

This means that Wally West has already been the Flash for two thirds the length of time as Barry and Wally had a career as Kid Flash for 26 years before that!

As Barry recedes further into the past, do you think this will impact onto prices for his appearances? Books like Showcase 4 will always be huge, but I get the feeling that there has been a softening in value on the SA Flash title recently.

When you think of it, Jay Garrick's main career was only 9 years with a 7 year gap before Barry came along. In Overstreet 33, Showcase 4 was listed as $38000, which is 40% of the value of a Flash Comics 1. But Flash 110, Wally's first appearance, was only $1850, which is less than 5% of the value of Barry's first appearance. Could this be the biggest SA sleeper in existence 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have always felt that Flash 110 was very undervalued. That and the fact that I have purchased about a six different copies of the book over the years in collections and have yet to get my hands on one that is any better than a VG (most are much worse).

The name BARRY ALLEN will always be assocated with the FLASH name. WEST's name will never be as famous or connected with FLASH. One of DC's Biggest mistakes was killing off Barry. Ask anyone today, who is the FLASH, and they will say Barry Allen.

The name BARRY ALLEN will always be assocated with the FLASH name. WEST's name will never be as famous or connected with FLASH. One of DC's Biggest mistakes was killing off Barry. Ask anyone today, who is the FLASH, and they will say Barry Allen.

thumbsup2.gif Killing Barry was a BIG mistake, but in 10 or so years time, I'm not sure he will be seen as so important. By that time, Wally will have been around for 54 ooo.gif years and Barry will have been gone for nearly 30.

I have always felt that Flash 110 was very undervalued. That and the fact that I have purchased about a six different copies of the book over the years in collections and have yet to get my hands on one that is any better than a VG (most are much worse).

me too - talk about hard to find HG books. i've got 2 crappy copies - traded for one 40 years ago and bought another at auction last year. i'm starting to finally get the picture on pre 65 SA DC's - supa hard to find in nice shape........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As Barry recedes further into the past, do you think this will impact onto prices for his appearances? Books like Showcase 4 will always be huge, but I get the feeling that there has been a softening in value on the SA Flash title recently.

What makes you say this? Perhaps some softening for late 1960s Flash, or lower grade Flash, but for high grade earlier SA Flash I have not seen any softening. At the April Heritage auction, a 9.2 Flash 105 went for 4X of then-Guide. When's the last time a Marvel 9.2 went for that kind of multiple? A bunch of 9.6 Western Penn Flash in the 150s and 160s went up at Heritage in November, I believe, and quite a few went for 10X of then-Guide. It's hard to gauge prices for earlier high grade SA Flash because they so rarely ever come on the market. We'll be able to see in a few weeks' time how soft prices are when the 9.4 Western Penn Flash 123 goes up at Heritage.

I don't think time is a good measure of a character's popularity; after all, it has been 55 years since Jay Garrick had his own title, and early Flash Comics are some of the most sought after, and ever-appreciating, golden age comics.

I think a good measure of the value of Barry Allen is the influence he's had on the DC universe. Wally even has his costume.

Also keep in mind the silver-age era, Barry's heyday, is one of the most popular periods to collect, and with its balance of great material and challenging-but-available back issue stock, it will likely continue to be popular for years to some. Nothing against Wally West, but it will be a long time, if ever, before comics of the modern era are considered highly sought after.

me too - talk about hard to find HG books. i've got 2 crappy copies - traded for one 40 years ago and bought another at auction last year. i'm starting to finally get the picture on pre 65 SA DC's - supa hard to find in nice shape........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That reminds me of a group of Flashes I bought off RACM in the pre-ebay days. I paid about $400

for a bunch of lower grade Flashes from 107-150. When I got them I was quite disappointed, as

everything was about a grade overgraded. Until I saw the 123! Besides the 113 (which was F/VF),

the 123 was the best of the bunch. It would be a solid Fine but for a one inch pen mark on the right

edge (not sure how this affects the grade?). So I wasn't left with a bitter taste after all.

i always wondered what the story was with the use of the costume in that film. It wasnt a Warner Bros film... did they negotiaste to use the costume? It was in all th eads too! And since Im SURE tough-guy DC had to have sold permission... probably not cheaply, why did the filmmakers pay it and not simply have the kid wear something else? WAS IT INTEGRAL TO THE STORY??

damn....I'm one of those people. I had no idea ( I don't follow DC) that Barry Allen was dead...damn, I'm gay.gif

Man, don't EVEN get me started on how big a mistake it was to kill Barry Allen (or how mad I still am at DC for doing it). Don't get me started, because I'll go from there to what they did to Hal Jordan. smile.gif

Is anyone else still mad at DC for this? Sounds like it, from some other people's responses.

Man, don't EVEN get me started on how big a mistake it was to kill Barry Allen (or how mad I still am at DC for doing it). Don't get me started, because I'll go from there to what they did to Hal Jordan. smile.gif

Is anyone else still mad at DC for this? Sounds like it, from some other people's responses.

Yeah, I kinda liked Green Lantern...now Green Lantern is more about Equal Opportunity comics...we got Black Green Lanterns, Women Green Lanterns, Alien Green Lanterns...

I'm not a big fan of replacement heros...they never live up to the originals....

I thought Hal Jordan was one of the more interesting characters in the DC universe - I still can't figure out why DC decided to turn him into the Wicked Witch of the West. A waste.

seemed like a good idea at the time?

never been done before?

cool sales gimmick?

not like its permanent or anything.....?

change for change's sake?

I thought Hal Jordan was one of the more interesting characters in the DC universe - I still can't figure out why DC decided to turn him into the Wicked Witch of the West. A waste.

seemed like a good idea at the time?

never been done before?

cool sales gimmick?

not like its permanent or anything.....?

change for change's sake?

Nah.

I agree completely. They build him up as the best and most appropriate person to receive super powers this side of Superman, and then they take the character they've built up as a TRUE hero for decades, and make him go crazy, kill the Guardians of Oa, become Parallax, and destroy the entire universe. And we're supposed to be o.k. with that. Riiiiiiight.

IMO, one of the worst decisions DC ever, ever made.