• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sheldon Moldoff has passed away at age 91

47 posts in this topic

I would add one more thing: those of us board members that have kids, it's important that we teach them who these GA giants (e.g., the Moldoffs, the Robinsons, the Simons) were. In that way these creators and artists live on.

RIP Shelly.

Shelly was the reason that I put together a pedegree Flash run of all the covers he that he did.

I remember the first 6 Flash issues that I bought within the first year of collecting the Flash run:

Flash 35 (9.6 Frisco), the 37 (9.6 Frisco), the 33 (9.6 Frisco) and the 33 (9.6 MH). 39 (9.4 Frisco), and Flash 14 (9.4 non-pedegree).

I then bought the All American 20 from Steve Carey (Killer copy which Steve now again owns, and pictured on the forum), and the All Amercian 21 (9.0 Penn. copy), also from Steve.

BTW: Flash 37MH (cover with all the birds);

If you think the 9.6 MH was nice, the 9.6 Frisco was even more of a head-turner. I was able to compare them side by side and they were both equal in cover glass and ink refectivity, but the Frisco did not have the sun shadows, and had whiter paper. The ink refectivity in the wings of hawkman and the birds was stunning on both copies.

Dwight

Very sad day....

My favorite Shelly GL cover.

aa212.jpg

This was my favorite Shelly cover too. I had him do a recreation for me back in '94. It's very sad he's gone. One of the great GA artists for sure. His work on Hawkman is some of the best ever from the '40s.

First picture is Shelly and Shirley circa 1993-4

Second picture is our own Friscoman (in his younger, wilder, days with Shelly

Then a shot from out at dinner with the Moldoffs that night

shelly1.jpg

Yeah, the dinner was San Diego '94. By the way the guy in the far right of the middle picture is Matt Wilson. Only time I ever met him in person.

My condolences to Mr. Moldoff's family and friends. For many of us, it will be a privilege to help promote the awareness of his name, art, and role in the history that he is now a part of.