• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "I Love Reading Moderns" No Matter Their Worth Thread!

139 posts in this topic

OK, back to basics. :sumo:

Christina_Aguilera__Back_to_basics.jpg

I'm just getting sick in tired of all these "spin-off" speculator threads. :facepalm:

I mean it's great that fans of title can make a buck or two of their graded extras. I have no problem with that at all. But, we are getting too many inane $$$ forecasts on books way too new. I will coin the the term "skullkickery", meaning there is too much "skullkickery" going on in Moderns lately. I refuse to be lawyered about this also. You want to hype a book, then open up an "Appreciation Thread". Speak to us as a fan on why this book is gonna have legs, not speculator. If it's heating up on eBay, I believe there's a thread for that too for these kind of forum-crier announcements.

I mean this section is beginning to make Modern readers look like greedy squirrels.

DSC050621Large.jpg

"I made $8 on a $4 book that will be $.50 by December. WOOT!"

I'm starting this thread as an effort to get us back on the subject of reading and enjoying comic books and hope some boardies spin off their titles into successful appreciation threads. You don't have to make a profit on every title you buy. You don't have to be a power-seller on eBay or a mega-seller on here. You just have to believe in your focus.

Please share some of your favorite inexpensive Modern books. :applause:

DSC04804Large.jpg

I really have been enjoying reading the Nancy Drew graphic novels from Papercutz. These might be only a $1 at the regional discount store Ocean State Job Lots, but these 96 pagers pack some great entertainment value regardless. They are written in the same edgy tone Mildred Wirt Benson (the first and best Nancy Drew ghostwriter) originally did, before her editor re-wrote her texts in the 60's. Highly recommended!

I'm starting this thread as an effort to get us back on the subject of reading and enjoying comic books and hope some boardies spin off their titles into successful appreciation threads. You don't have to make a profit on every title you buy. You don't have to be a power-seller on eBay or a mega-seller on here. You just have to believe in your focus.

big_lebowski_007.jpg

big_lebowski_007.jpg

Does that mean, "You're out of your element Donny!"? hm

You are not the only one sick of all the speculation threads. We all know who is to blame for creating a new one each week.

:facepalm:

Honestly, if you guys are sick of reading up on these speculation threads, then don't read it. I'm equally sick of reading posts about people being sick of all the speculation threads.....

Wait you mean there is stuff inside the comics :o:kidaround:

I got away from reading any books for years. When I got back into comics it was because of the Dark Tower comic series. I loved the book and when I found out about the comic I had to read and collect all the issues. It was great because it renewed my interest in comics. Though recently I realized I was just that collecting not enjoying the insides. So when my oldest son and I took a trip to the Image Expo it was great to just pick up stuff for reading.

Some of the titles we picked up and enjoyed where Royden Lepp's Rust. Archaia did an amazing job with the cloth hardcover. Can't wait to see what they do with CPG. Then we also enjoyed both Chew and Skull Kickers.

My son liked Skull Kickers so much he read the first trade in 15 minutes and we had to go right back to pick up the second trade. Jim Zub was nice and threw in the recent 4 story Tavern Tales so we were caught up till the next issue comes out in April.

We also liked Chew but I'll have to wait till next month to pick up the Omnivore editions.

Anyway thanks Jerel for starting this thread. I've always enjoyed your posts even when I was a lurker (branget at the Image Expo called me this and I still laugh at it lol ) and didn't have a board name.Today my grandmother passed in Virginia and this helped a lot to just get away from thinking about it for a little. Sorry not trying to turn this thread into a poor me thing or make anybody feel bad.

Anyway thanks Jerel for starting this thread. I've always enjoyed your posts even when I was a lurker (branget at the Image Expo called me this and I still laugh at it lol ) and didn't have a board name.Today my grandmother passed in Virginia and this helped a lot to just get away from thinking about it for a little. Sorry not trying to turn this thread into a poor me thing or make anybody feel bad.
:hi:

Nice to finally get around to meeting you.

I'm sorry about your grandmother. Yesterday was the first year anniversary of my father passing away so it's been a weekend of mourning for me too. :(

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Kyle. Hope you and your son are hanging in there. :foryou:

As for this thread and my current reads:

Fatale

Criminal

Invincible

Catwoman (New 52)

Justice League (New 52)

Wonder Woman (New 52 and previous volume)

Power Girl

No Place Like Home

Cursed Pirate Girl (Yes, can't tell you how many times I've read it lol )

and Mondo #1 (plan on following it to the end...issue #3)

oh, and TWD (thumbs u

Awesome thread, Jerel! Even though I partake in some of the modern speculation, I agree that it's perhaps gone too far. I've been saying for a while that's there no money in long term speculation of modern Image books, because there's too many eyes on them, with too many people looking for the next Walking Dead.

Things I'm READING and enjoying currently:

Daredevil

Animal Man

Batwoman

Moon Knight

Resurrection Man

Suicide Squad

Fatale

No Place Like Home

I'm starting my second modern focus when Alabaster: Wolves is released in April. Not because I think it's the next big thing, but because I love the character and the stories the author has written to date.

OK, back to basics. :sumo:

Christina_Aguilera__Back_to_basics.jpg

I'm just getting sick in tired of all these "spin-off" speculator threads. :facepalm:

I mean it's great that fans of title can make a buck or two of their graded extras. I have no problem with that at all. But, we are getting too many inane $$$ forecasts on books way too new. I will coin the the term "skullkickery", meaning there is too much "skullkickery" going on in Moderns lately. I refuse to be lawyered about this also. You want to hype a book, then open up an "Appreciation Thread". Speak to us as a fan on why this book is gonna have legs, not speculator. If it's heating up on eBay, I believe there's a thread for that too for these kind of forum-crier announcements.

I mean this section is beginning to make Modern readers look like greedy squirrels.

DSC050621Large.jpg

"I made $8 on a $4 book that will be $.50 by December. WOOT!"

Please share some of your favorite inexpensive Modern books. :applause:

:popcorn:

Stuff that I think is good right now and I am reading.

Walking Dead

Invincible - Nice come back lately

Morning Glories - You gotta respect the plot twists Lost fans have to love it

Batman (52)

Batwoman (52)

Justice League

Thief of Thieves - I liked first issue

Uncanny X-force - Putting Deadpool and Wolverine together and it works

Batwoman Detective Run

Overhyped and not great in my opinion(Bring the hate)

Chew

Fatale

Wonder Woman - Okay it might have gotten better

Animal Man - Same as above

Suff I want to read havent got too yet or looking forward too

No Place Like Home - Boardie wrote it buy it

X-men vs Avengers - I want to compare new series to old

Peter panzerfaust - Looked at it in store didnt buy didnt like art

Fairest

Voodoo Child

You are not the only one sick of all the speculation threads. We all know who is to blame for creating a new one each week.

:facepalm:

Honestly, if you guys are sick of reading up on these speculation threads, then don't read it. I'm equally sick of reading posts about people being sick of all the speculation threads.....

:signfunny:

Also a big fan of Chew. :)

I'd be reading it regardless of its popularity. I actually have mixed emotions about the popularity since it makes it more expensive to collect. Any comic that can make me laugh I'm in. It doesn't hurt that the creators are a couple of the nicest guys I've met.