• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official "I Love Reading Moderns" No Matter Their Worth Thread!

139 posts in this topic

enjoying scarlet spider... makes me want to get the first app of kain ... i wonder how hard it would be to find a raw 9.8 cause I sure don't see any cgc on ebay ... I loved the part in #3 with how he ....minor spoiler ... broke that guys arm with his feet! So badass! (worship) & not something you would ever see spiderman do hahah! Does anyone know or have any idea how long scarlet spider will last ?.. I hate to get into things marvel these days & only have them last till #10 or #20 (shrug)

Unless that is the intent & the writer is able to properly tell & end said story the way they want to

Web of Spiderman #119, correct?

I am in the market for one as well!

I had a hard time finding one with white pages. If you are buying raw, get pictures of the interior of the book. Good luck.

enjoying scarlet spider... makes me want to get the first app of kain ... i wonder how hard it would be to find a raw 9.8 cause I sure don't see any cgc on ebay ... I loved the part in #3 with how he ....minor spoiler ... broke that guys arm with his feet! So badass! (worship) & not something you would ever see spiderman do hahah! Does anyone know or have any idea how long scarlet spider will last ?.. I hate to get into things marvel these days & only have them last till #10 or #20 (shrug)

Unless that is the intent & the writer is able to properly tell & end said story the way they want to

yup according to wiki anyways I've never actually seen a cgc of one

I had a hard time finding one with white pages. If you are buying raw, get pictures of the interior of the book. Good luck.

good to know though most people here are honest about that kind of thing :) I am going to give finding one a shot at a comic con

:o Someone else still waiting for it?

:whee:

Heard from him recently. Working hard at it. Also, don't for get the FCBD Archaia CPG story. :gossip:

(thumbs u

Looking forward to the FCBD story.

You guys are doing a great job on the thread too. Keep up the good work. Really lovin' seeing all the stuff and the imformation provided so generously. Setting a great example in Moderns. (worship)

yup according to wiki anyways I've never actually seen a cgc of one

good to know though most people here are honest about that kind of thing :) I am going to give finding one a shot at a comic con

just had alook through my collection, got a 119 but i would say its a 9.4/9.6

Wait you mean there is stuff inside the comics :o:kidaround:

I got away from reading any books for years. When I got back into comics it was because of the Dark Tower comic series. I loved the book and when I found out about the comic I had to read and collect all the issues. It was great because it renewed my interest in comics. Though recently I realized I was just that collecting not enjoying the insides. So when my oldest son and I took a trip to the Image Expo it was great to just pick up stuff for reading.

Some of the titles we picked up and enjoyed where Royden Lepp's Rust. Archaia did an amazing job with the cloth hardcover. Can't wait to see what they do with CPG. Then we also enjoyed both Chew and Skull Kickers.

My son liked Skull Kickers so much he read the first trade in 15 minutes and we had to go right back to pick up the second trade. Jim Zub was nice and threw in the recent 4 story Tavern Tales so we were caught up till the next issue comes out in April.

We also liked Chew but I'll have to wait till next month to pick up the Omnivore editions.

Anyway thanks Jerel for starting this thread. I've always enjoyed your posts even when I was a lurker (branget at the Image Expo called me this and I still laugh at it lol ) and didn't have a board name.Today my grandmother passed in Virginia and this helped a lot to just get away from thinking about it for a little. Sorry not trying to turn this thread into a poor me thing or make anybody feel bad.

My condolences.I lost mine 2 years ago.

Now how about some cool moderns!

I went on eBay and grabbed some cheapo copies of "Scene of the Crime," an old 4 part Vertigo mini by Brubaker, Lark, and Phillips. It was interesting and fun to read because it:

1) Was sure a lot more hopeful than Criminal

2) It was interesting to see how writers & artists grow

3) It was actually not a bad little story (and it took place in SF)

I probably paid too much for them ($14, including shipping), but it was fun to open some comics and mail (rather than a TPB) and not have to dig through dollar bins at X stores to get the whole run. I even liked it enough to file away the copies in a long box and read another day. Next up? Some eBay found Detour, Lowlife, and Pajama Chronicles. The books that helped Brubaker get his first (small) gig at DC (and the rest, we say, is history).

Jerel- thank you for starting my 2nd favorite thread in moderns (besides the Fatale discussion thread, which gets 4-5 posts per month). It's always a source of reading ideas... that get added to a stack of reading to be caught up on.

I'm really enjoying a ton of image titles. I can't say enough good things about Luther Strode and I'm looking forward to the Legend of Luther Strode in October. No Place Like Home, Peter Panzerfaust, Manhattan Projects, Saga, Hell Yeah, Thief of Thieves and Alpha Girl were all fun (although some were better than others) and I intend to stick with all of them for at least the next six months. I don't care what the Walking Dead is worth, I'll keep reading that book until Kirkman stops writing it. The new Batman has been great. As has Snyder's American Vampire. I think I've mentioned Unwritten before. I enjoy a number of other Vertigo titles like Voodoo Child, Saucer Country, Fables and Fatale. After reading Saga, I quickly started reading Y the Last Man and Ex Machina. Chew is fun every issue. Road Rage was enjoyable and I'm still enjoying Locke and Key. I'm really digging the new Ultimate Spiderman book too. I enjoyed Superbia and with that it was slated to run as an ongoing title. As I've said before, its a great time to be reading modern comics. There is so much good stuff out there it is hard to keep up.

If you're looking for a good modern read for a buck an issue I recommend tracking down Fade From Blue from Second2some Studios. It has some of the best illustration out there and a great story. A severely overlooked series but an awesome cheap read. The series is only about ten issues long and available on the cheap ;)

If you are a big fan of Michonne way of the "samurai" type stuff that meets 24-esque Jack Bauer kick-azzery, check out "The New West" by Jimmy Palmiotti (Jonah Hex, I think). It's a neat little two-parter from 2005 that should be found in most dollar bins. I forgot how nifty it was.

If you are a big fan of Michonne way of the "samurai" type stuff that meets 24-esque Jack Bauer kick-azzery, check out "The New West" by Jimmy Palmiotti (Jonah Hex, I think). It's a neat little two-parter from 2005 that should be found in most dollar bins. I forgot how nifty it was.

I believe that has some sweet Phil Noto art as well. :luhv:

I believe that has some sweet Phil Noto art as well. :luhv:

You are correct sir! (thumbs u

I've been enjoying reading the following moderns:

Morning Glories

Blue Estate

Rachael Rising

Batman (new 52)

American Vampire

Fables

Wolverine and the X-Men

Fatale

No Place Like Home

Emma Frost

The Runaways (Loved the 1st series)

Nancy Drew Girl Detective (TPB)

Guardians of the Galaxy (Too bad this was cancelled, its a great read)

Jonah Hex

Dungeons and Dragons

Severed

X-Factor

Uncanny X-Force

Batman Beyond

I've been enjoying reading the following moderns:

Morning Glories

Blue Estate

Rachael Rising

Batman (new 52)

American Vampire

Fables

Wolverine and the X-Men

Fatale

No Place Like Home

Emma Frost

The Runaways (Loved the 1st series)

Nancy Drew Girl Detective (TPB) :headbang:

Guardians of the Galaxy (Too bad this was cancelled, its a great read)

Jonah Hex

Dungeons and Dragons

Severed

X-Factor

Uncanny X-Force

Batman Beyond

That's one flying under the radar. X-File's Stefan Petrucha's crisp writing really brings out a wonderfully dangerous element (the 1930's Nancy Drew books) that brings out the Goonies meets Scooby Doo mentality kid in you. Add on Sho Murane's ever improving linework that intergrates with a the 3-d element and you got a pretty rad comic in a digest format. My only issue with this one is there are so many reprints. #1 has eight alone. But Sho revises her linework in every one. lol

Remember everyone, Nancy Drew was the original Buffy The Vampire Slayer before her editor edited her drive and determination in the 60's reprints. These graphic novels capture that spirit long ago removed.

would anyone know if there is a locke and key omni of any kind out or coming out? ive never read it but read good things but dont want to get various trade, 1 big one would be lovely. plus, excuse my ignorance, but is it good? was good, not now etc etc. thanks, cheers