• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mass Effect 3 this Tuesday

39 posts in this topic

I only bought the PS3 in November, so there's a lot of material I've already purchased which will take ages to get through.  I tend to go for FPS games, particularly science-fiction oriented ones, and sandbox games such as GTA and Red Dead Redemption, and so I believe there's a very good chance I'll like Mass Effect. 

On this console I can only go back to the second in the series.

I think, about a year ago, when the forum people were donating to get Vaughn (paratrooper) a new gaming system and some games..... for him and his men over in Iraq..... Mass Effect 2 was one of the games he specifically asked for.

It must be a pretty good game. I think CoD Modern Warfare was another of his requests.

Since I got a new rig.... I've been looking over the games I could get. ME3 is a possibility hm

Take my word on this, you NEED to start at the the beginning with ME1. The emotional investment in the characters is part of what makes this game great, I don't think you can achieve it fully without starting at the beginning.

Ok. Thx for the tip.

You are indeed correct sir! I reserve ME3 yesterday and thinking about picking it up on the midnight release. This game is amazing.

I've never had a game put a lump in my throat quite the way ME2 did at the end.

I lost Mordin at the end of ME2, he was one of my favorite characters. Thank goodness Tali made it through unscathed, I would of had to start the whole damn thing over if I lost her!

Who are some of your favorite squad members? People who it would just kill you if you lost at the end of ME3...because let's all be honest, not everybody can make it out of this thing alive.

I'm sure there is one avenue in the game that you can take and if you do everything perfect, it will lead to all the squad members surviving, but my guess is, that is going to be a tough cookie to crack.

I've been watching metacritic all day, waiting for the first reviews to come in. I'm getting it regardless obviously, but I love reading reviews. There are usually some trickling in by the day before....

I'm sure there is one avenue in the game that you can take and if you do everything perfect, it will lead to all the squad members surviving, but my guess is, that is not going to be an easy road to hoe.

I know that there is a way to do it where nobody dies at the end of ME2. The more experience you have, the more missions you completed, the more upgrades you performed, and the wiser your decisions are on who needs to lead the final missions all add up to who survives during the last chapter of the game. I wonder if ME3 will do the same.

I played ME2 on PS3, but bought a 360 just to play the first one. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will for sure do that before picking up 3. Probably save some money too, as it will take awhile to beat and I am sure the new one will come down in price in the meantime.

I'm sure there is one avenue in the game that you can take and if you do everything perfect, it will lead to all the squad members surviving, but my guess is, that is not going to be an easy road to hoe.

I know that there is a way to do it where nobody dies at the end of ME2. The more experience you have, the more missions you completed, the more upgrades you performed, and the wiser your decisions are on who needs to lead the final missions all add up to who survives during the last chapter of the game. I wonder if ME3 will do the same.

I played ME2 on PS3, but bought a 360 just to play the first one. Haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will for sure do that before picking up 3. Probably save some money too, as it will take awhile to beat and I am sure the new one will come down in price in the meantime.

Yeah, I thought I had it...but I guess not. I know what I could have done to save that particular character and I could go back to my save and do it over, but I'm the kind of guy who thinks games are more entertaining if there is something on the line, so I tend to stick with my choices regardless of whether I like the outcome or not. I normally only have one save per game(in this case I happened to have two slots) and I always save over it, my wife on the other hand has about a hundred per game so she can have do-overs...lol.

I think, about a year ago, when the forum people were donating to get Vaughn (paratrooper) a new gaming system and some games..... for him and his men over in Iraq..... Mass Effect 2 was one of the games he specifically asked for.

It must be a pretty good game. I think CoD Modern Warfare was another of his requests.

Since I got a new rig.... I've been looking over the games I could get. ME3 is a possibility hm

Take my word on this, you NEED to start at the the beginning with ME1. The emotional investment in the characters is part of what makes this game great, I don't think you can achieve it fully without starting at the beginning.

Ok. Thx for the tip.

You are indeed correct sir! I reserve ME3 yesterday and thinking about picking it up on the midnight release. This game is amazing.

I've never had a game put a lump in my throat quite the way ME2 did at the end.

I lost Mordin at the end of ME2, he was one of my favorite characters. Thank goodness Tali made it through unscathed, I would of had to start the whole damn thing over if I lost her!

Who are some of your favorite squad members? People who it would just kill you if you lost at the end of ME3...because let's all be honest, not everybody can make it out of this thing alive.

I'm sure there is one avenue in the game that you can take and if you do everything perfect, it will lead to all the squad members surviving, but my guess is, that is going to be a tough cookie to crack.

I've been watching metacritic all day, waiting for the first reviews to come in. I'm getting it regardless obviously, but I love reading reviews. There are usually some trickling in by the day before....

I'm going to have to replay ME1 & ME2 again, all my saved data is on the xbox I left in Afghanistan. That's ok, I don't mind replaying those.

Having read up a little about the series, the only aspect I've not done much of in the past is team-based gameplay. I've often found that quite frustrating because of poor AI . Thing is, tonight I started with the Deus Ex prequel, Human Revolution, and that's likely to keep me occupied for a while.

Yeah, I thought I had it...but I guess not. I know what I could have done to save that particular character and I could go back to my save and do it over, but I'm the kind of guy who thinks games are more entertaining if there is something on the line, so I tend to stick with my choices regardless of whether I like the outcome or not. I normally only have one save per game(in this case I happened to have two slots) and I always save over it, my wife on the other hand has about a hundred per game so she can have do-overs...lol.

Yeah, I am with you. No do-overs.....unless something really bad happens. :eek:

I might have to play 2 over again as well, as I think it would be pretty cool to keep the same character over all three games. Guess that means I will be buying ME2 for the X-Box.

I have a PS3.

Is worth getting ME2 & 3?

HeII yes. Get ME 2 first and play it through, then get ME 3 later. ME 2 will last you a while, and it's $20 new.

If you're into RPG micromanaging, you may end up liking the first one better. They streamlined a lot of the RPG elements for the sequel.

Love 'em both.

If you're into RPG micromanaging, you may end up liking the first one better. They streamlined a lot of the RPG elements for the sequel.

Love 'em both.

I am comfortable with both, but there were definitely times in ME2 where I wished the character generation choices and customization options would have been a little wider. Baldur's Gate and Fallout are two of my favorite franchises, so I defintiely don't shy away from micromanagement.

I read somewhere that mentioned how multiplayer will help your squad and give you a more complete ending for the single player game. Anyone have any more info about this? I'm mainly interested in ME 3 for the co-op multiplayer.

I've just ordered a PS3 copy of Mass Effect 2 .  Shame I can't go right back to the beginning of the story on my console.  Had the same problem with the Half Life series.

Started the game today.

Playing it on Hardcore and made it through the part that was included on the demo, basically the prologue and the first "mission" as well, before more adult responsibilities pulled me away.

My first impressions are that this version of Mass Effect is the best one yet. It still remains to be seen if this holds up over the 40 plus hours of game that is included, but my guess is it will.

I play as an engineer(same as ME2). A couple new powers were added to the arsenal. I was really impressed with the fact that I maintained the same level that I ended ME2 as, level 31. My powers kept their level as well, wasn't expecting that. For example I had the combat drone leveled up to 4(maxed out) at the end of ME2. My combat drone started this game at level 4, don't worry though, there are two more levels past that in ME3 for each power.

The new enhancements to the cover system really improve combat and the Omni-Blade is just spectacularly fun...really makes those close encounters less panic inducing. They changed some of the effects on some powers, my overload now chains to nearby enemies...very sweet.The combat is way more intense also, it's definitely been ratcheted up a degree. At one point I was fighting my way down this long corridor, the enemy was peppering me with fire while retreating down the corridor where they could close a blast door. I'm not sure how many guys I was up against at one time but I'm guessing it was about 10. I literally didn't know who to take out first. They were everywhere.

The weapon enhancements is a much needed "re-addition" to the series. It's nice being able to tweak each weapon to exactly whatever play style you prefer. Encumbrance also becomes a factor for the first time...too much weight and your powers take longer to recharge...basically every class can use any weapon, but now if you try to carry everything, your tech or biotic powers will suffer, so you have to pick or choose. I like this approach better, allows me to play the tech character I want to play with whichever weapons I want to use. Not sure if other classes, like soldier, can carry more without penalty.

Medi-gel is used this time around to restore lost health as well as reviving downed squad members. Your health will recharge over time, but it is a very slow process. Seems more realistic, if you can even say that in reference to a sci-fi game. Basically you can take medi-gel to restore your health fully right now or let your suit do the work over time...a nice, subtle touch. Running around in the middle of combat with only one health bar and your shields to protect you, makes for a lot of "critical mission failure" screens.

Anyway, I can't wait to load this puppy up again...my weekend warrior escapades are going to suffer dearly until this game is finished...who am I kidding, as soon as I'm done with ME3, ME1 is going right in and I'm starting from scratch and playing this puppy the way it was meant to be played.