• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

at the risk of getting flamed on my first post

75 posts in this topic

I figure this will get me flamed to no end but here we go;

I have been reading this forum for close to a year, and have to ask a question.

Why the unwavering loyalty to CGC as a grade service?

I know PGX has had issues with resto in the past, and CGC apparently had a good ol boys network going on dealing in trimmed books, I don't know about ACE, and have never seen a book from their grading service.

I figure this is an oversimplification of what I have read here.

Don't think I am trying to be confrontational or am a schill, but again I do have to ask why the loyalty?

I do have to ask why the loyalty?

Good product generally generates loyal customers. You noted the issues with PGX as a grading service; you just can't trust them.

CGC is the only other company in the space. Althougth their product is not viewed by most as being 100% perfect 100% of the time, it's pretty darn good. That's going to generate a lot of loyalty. 2c

I know PGX has had issues with resto in the past, and CGC apparently had a good ol boys network going on dealing in trimmed books, I don't know about ACE, and have never seen a book from their grading service.

Don't think I am trying to be confrontational or am a schill, but again I do have to ask why the loyalty?

board300x300.jpg

I may not get the grade i hoped to get all the time, but I TRUST CGC 100% of the time to handle my book(s) when in their possesion, to safely pack in ship them securely. They IMO have paved the way and opened up commerce online in places such as ebay for big money books, transactions that would have crashed and burned without them. I could go on.

Well I'm just your average collector/poster-rarely go to conventions, and I don't personally know any of the "bigwigs" and the "inside scoops", but from what I hear PGX is a very shady operation. The head grader actually buys his own comics to grade (there is a recent thread with a picture of him buying a CGC 8.5 Key (Avengers 4???)) and then raising the grade (8.5 becomes 9.2 etc...).

I believe CGC tries to keep it honest. In fact when the whole pressing thing became common public knowledge a few years back CGC was planning to offer a pressing service "in-house" along with their pre-screening. When it was pointed out to them by many people on this board of the apparent conflict of interest (what if people pressed themselves or used another pressing service would CGC grade differently) they scrapped the idea at once. That's proof to me they are trying to keep things on the up and up. Nobody here says they are perfect.

board300x300.jpg

:o Go directly to jail?

The funny thing is, every time there's a post like this, it's the poster's first. :shrug:

Yeah, I can't help but think that wasn't just some innocent question of curiosity after lurking for a year.

Nevertheless, reputations are earned. It's not just the CGC forum who thinks PGX is krap. The whole comic industry does.

was the trust and loyalty for cgc there when the Ewart scandal broke? or has it been built back since then?

When somebody robs the bank it normally isn't the fault of the bank. If somebody wants to claim CGC was in cahoots with Ewart and was looking the other way for years then they better be able to prove it.

was the trust and loyalty for cgc there when the Ewart scandal broke? or has it been built back since then?

Stuff like this helps to maintain and repare a reputation.

Meanwhile this guy who had his Ninja Turtles 1 "accidentally" swapped for a 3rd print took several months to get any sort of compensation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJ4VwFHSp4

Did CGC voluntarily break the Ewart scandal, or was this a CYA attempt after Ewart was founded? reading some of the previous posts, i am not sure of which is the truth

wow - Sunday is the new Friday :o