• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

at the risk of getting flamed on my first post

75 posts in this topic

I figure this will get me flamed to no end but here we go;

I have been reading this forum for close to a year, and have to ask a question.

Why the unwavering loyalty to CGC as a grade service?

I know PGX has had issues with resto in the past, and CGC apparently had a good ol boys network going on dealing in trimmed books, I don't know about ACE, and have never seen a book from their grading service.

I figure this is an oversimplification of what I have read here.

Don't think I am trying to be confrontational or am a schill, but again I do have to ask why the loyalty?

Let me try to answer your question in a 'fair' manner. CGC has become the market leader in third party grading of comic books. If you collect coins; NGC and PCGS have a similar stance in the market as well. In regards to graded currency, PMG and PCGS are very reliable. That being said, you could easily research the answer to this very question yourself.

Look at any book graded by CGC and compare the final sale of that book to an equally decribed book either graded by any competitor or a 'raw' book. Chances are very good that the CGC graded book will almost always net the higher price. Therefore, I don't understand your question? Are you asking 'why' this is 'so.'?

The answer to 'why' is quite simply is because time and time again, CGC has shown that it is a market leader; number one. Number two, it acts on ethics and integrity; and finally it gained the confidence of the collecting community. This is one factor as to what determines the market in the end.

Has CGC ever encountered its fair share of issues? Yes, any reputable company does. The issue in business, however, is NEVER the problems and issues you face. It is always how you handle them. This is what CGC has done quite well with. That being said, I will not comment of the competition.

Hope that helps.

'mint'

WTTB

BTW - Is your signature line taken from Doc Holliday in Tombstone (1993) hm

Great movie !! (thumbs u I thought so too....

Hi Peter,

I know it's not a Peckinpah (worship) Leone (worship):cloud9: or Eastwood (worship):cloud9: western but Tombstone is one of my favourite... (thumbs u

1,000,000 times better than the Kevin Costner version.... one of my all time favs as well. Saw that movie in the double digits....

It pistol whips Costner's Wyatt Earp into the dust (thumbs u and Kilmer is in great form as Doc Holliday.

I love the western genre in general but I'm a massive fan of the spaghetti western.

The Leone films

The Great Silence

Death Rides A Horse

A Bullet For The General

Django Kill, If You Live Shoot

:cloud9:

The Wild Bunch :whistle:

Holden and Borgnine (worship)

I figure this will get me flamed to no end but here we go;

I have been reading this forum for close to a year, and have to ask a question.

Why the unwavering loyalty to CGC as a grade service?

I know PGX has had issues with resto in the past, and CGC apparently had a good ol boys network going on dealing in trimmed books, I don't know about ACE, and have never seen a book from their grading service.

I figure this is an oversimplification of what I have read here.

Don't think I am trying to be confrontational or am a schill, but again I do have to ask why the loyalty?

Let me try to answer your question in a 'fair' manner. CGC has become the market leader in third party grading of comic books. If you collect coins; NGC and PCGS have a similar stance in the market as well. In regards to graded currency, PMG and PCGS are very reliable. That being said, you could easily research the answer to this very question yourself.

Look at any book graded by CGC and compare the final sale of that book to an equally decribed book either graded by any competitor or a 'raw' book. Chances are very good that the CGC graded book will almost always net the higher price. Therefore, I don't understand your question? Are you asking 'why' this is 'so.'?

The answer to 'why' is quite simply is because time and time again, CGC has shown that it is a market leader; number one. Number two, it acts on ethics and integrity; and finally it gained the confidence of the collecting community. This is one factor as to what determines the market in the end.

Has CGC ever encountered its fair share of issues? Yes, any reputable company does. The issue in business, however, is NEVER the problems and issues you face. It is always how you handle them. This is what CGC has done quite well with. That being said, I will not comment of the competition.

Hope that helps.

'mint'

I just have one more comment to add to the relative value CGC books seem to gain in post sales. We all have to remember that the cost of grading is very steep and if there was not a incremental % gain on these books re raw NO ONE would be grading them. There are lots of examples of CGC graded books that are sold at a loss in comparison to the cost of slabing which cuts into the overall value of the book purchased raw. 2c

Well as far as comic book grading goes there are several reasons for CGC being the only game in town.

1) They were the first company to grade comic books. The first to jump into a market usually does pretty good.

2) Their competition is horrible. PGX has been described as a one man operation. And usually the one man is watching TV or something else while grading the comics. This is according to his ex girlfriend who decided to spill the beans on the whole operation.

In the sports card world this is completely different. PSA the first card grading company has very stiff competition from Beckett. PSA actually has a legitimate alternative. I believe that say for instance a well respected individual in the community were to join heads with Gerber or Overstreet publications that they could in fact provide serious competition. But at the present moment both publications seem to have absolutely no interest in getting into the grading game.

Hope that answers your question.

The loyality comes from there is many knowledgeable people on these boards and some good people.

some like the ss

some like the grade bump from a pressing

some like moon knight

some like having that top census score

some just like dealing books back and fourth

Probably more to list.

Given the lengthy waiting times and high prices at CGC, there is a golden opportunity for a competitor to enter the third party comic grading business. Really, all one would need to show is consistently accurate grading of submitted books, and avoid the scandals, e.g., you are over rating your own books, or replacing sumitted customer books with less desirable ones from your own collection. If you could be happy just accurately grading comics and charging a fair price to do it, there is a viable business just sitting there for the taking.

Given the lengthy waiting times and high prices at CGC, there is a golden opportunity for a competitor to enter the third party comic grading business. Really, all one would need to show is consistently accurate grading of submitted books, and avoid the scandals...

I believe they would also need a major Auction House as either an investor or marketing partner, or both.

It's like backing of a currency, acceptance on the trading floor. Without it a Service would have about the same weight as any individual who's known for competent grading. And there's a ton of those.