• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,558 posts in this topic

Hmmm interesting, I though there was all kinds of Canadian price variants. I still have a lot of comics that I bought throughout the years including a couple big collections I bought from the US. Probably not worth my time to even look. I would have just traded them or sold them since I don't collect price variants, no big deal.

Thanks for the info.

I bet I have a pile of price variants and don't even know it. I have collected comics for a long time and I live in Canada

That means you'll likely have a grand total of NONE, as these price variants were only distributed to select US cities.

Edited by kidcolt

I collect Canadian priced comics - they are easier to find here in Canada :)

However, it is important to make the distinction between Canadian priced books and US price variants. What is the history of the US ones? Canadian priced books have existed for many, many years and continue to this day.

Here's my page on Archie's:

http://web.me.com/bergdoll/comics/page5/page5.html

I know the Uncle Scrooge and Star Wars books were intended to be used as market research tools - but I don't know too much about the others. Some look to be over-prints and some look to be from poly-bags, and some look to be newsstand editions with a different price on them!

I bet I have a pile of price variants and don't even know it. I have collected comics for a long time and I live in Canada

That means you'll likely have a grand total of NONE, as these price variants were only distributed to select US cities.

Man ain't that the truth. I've been buying the Marvel 30/35 centers for over 20 years and at stores up and down the East Coast west to the Mississippi. And I have never in that time picked up a 35 cent variant without knowing it...much less see one unidentified when I was looking...

Jim

Edited by awe4one

Just want to clarify my post above...

I been collecting the regular 30/35 cent coverprice Marvels for over 20 years. In that time, I never accidently came across either a 30 or 35 cent variant. The 30 centers may be easy to find but I never found one accidently...which tells me they aren't as easy as some may suggest...

Jim

There are NO Canadian variants. Just Canadian editions. :baiting:

Seriously, and this isn't directed at you, but this drives me crazy. Every book printed for newstand sale in Canada in the 80's has the same freakin' price. They just differ from the direct version.

Hmmm interesting, I though there was all kinds of Canadian price variants. I still have a lot of comics that I bought throughout the years including a couple big collections I bought from the US. Probably not worth my time to even look. I would have just traded them or sold them since I don't collect price variants, no big deal.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by silverandbronze

I been collecting the regular 30/35 cent coverprice Marvels for over 20 years. In that time, I never accidently came across either a 30 or 35 cent variant. The 30 centers may be easy to find but I never found one accidently...which tells me they aren't as easy as some may suggest...Jim

I've found lots of 30-cent variants in generic lots I've bought on EBay, and I'm always surprised to find a random 30-center in a long run of books. Often, it's just one or two books, but I've found complete sets of ASM, Daredevil, Defenders, etc when buying sight-unseen runs on EBay.

But I have NEVER, EVER, EVER found a random 35-center in any lots I've purchased. Not even once, and as other have stated, these are exponentially harder to find than the 30-cent variants.

There are NO Canadian variants. Just Canadian editions. :baiting:

+ Infinity

This whole misuse of the "variant" term bugs me too, as none of these even come close to the most basic definition.

Living in Baltimore and seeing quite a few collections here, 30 centers are very common, though not as common as the regular issues. If I run across a collection in Baltimore and it has no 30 cent variants, then it almost always came from somewhere else or the comics were bought in VA or PA or some such.

The only 35 center I randomly found was an Iron Fist 14 and in that collection there were no 30 centers so the collection probably came from somewhere else.

I randomly found three 35 centers in a giant collection I bought down here - Eternals 14, 15, and Marvel Presents 11. I've bought 100K comics in the past five years, and those three are the only ones I've ever found in collections.

we can speculate all day long, but in the end it is just speculation.

One thing is for sure, 30 cent variants are easy to spot. I believe this leads to more recognition, and also more sales listings. Thus the perception is they are more common. Maybe some are, but compared to their regular issue counterparts, they can be truely difficult to locate.

35 cent variants are a different animal. They are difficult to spot, especially in digital pictures and crappy ebay scans. The perception is that they are much more rare. But I ask, who is actually looking for these things??? Canickus, Bonas0123, and myself? That is not enough to generate interest in looking for most of the issues that comprise the set.

One last point- Marvel Super Action 3 was once considered to be a very rare 35 cent variant. I felt fortunate enough to have a copy. Then a seller in NY found 20 of them that graded out all the way up to 9.4. This makes two points-rare is relative, and high grade may exist in quantity.

One thing is for sure, 30 cent variants are easy to spot. I believe this leads to more recognition, and also more sales listings. Thus the perception is they are more common. Maybe some are, but compared to their regular issue counterparts, they can be truely difficult to locate.

35 cent variants are a different animal. They are difficult to spot, especially in digital pictures and crappy ebay scans. The perception is that they are much more rare. But I ask, who is actually looking for these things??? Canickus, Bonas0123, and myself? That is not enough to generate interest in looking for most of the issues that comprise the set.

One last point- Marvel Super Action 3 was once considered to be a very rare 35 cent variant. I felt fortunate enough to have a copy. Then a seller in NY found 20 of them that graded out all the way up to 9.4. This makes two points-rare is relative, and high grade may exist in quantity.

I dont think 3 guys are looking for these as you claim..Thats a bit ridiculous to say the least//Yeah you 3 are the only ones in the country that are looking for them..lol.

Any shmo who can pick up a price guide sees them listed as variant

And the 35 centers are much rarer i hate to tell you..30 centers are all over..So a guy found 20 MSA#3s?? So whats your point? SO now its NOT rare 20 copies is nothing..As far as being high grade,,look at the census theres only SEVEN graded ones on the list,,wheres the 20 you said he had graded out ..up to 9.4..?? Dont see em on the census at all. their arent that many high grade ones out there let alone NON graded examples.

1 9.4

1 9.2

2 9.0

1 8.5

1 7.5

1 5.0....seems rare in high grade to me..

I have looked through MANY a long box and i know what to look for and have found a grand total of THREE...I can say ive seen a minimum 100 30 centers..MINIMUM..

Rare is realtive I guess. but in my experience 35 centers are very rare..maybe you have had great luck and found a ton. just out of curiousity..Are you finding them by the ton in boxes that people are overlooking? I doubt that ..

If you are I need to go to some of the shows that you go to cuz I am not having much luck at all..

My .02..

Hey SA!

As I think has been discussed over at STL, and which opinion I share, I think it's been concluded that the 35 centers were actually printed in much smaller quantities than their 30 cent counterparts.

We have a general idea about how many copies of each of the 35 centers were printed (1500 or thereabouts.) I don't think it's a matter of perception....after all, these have been sought after for over a decade now....I think it's that these are much rarer than the 30s, and I think the census and sales data reflects this.

I dont think 3 guys are looking for these as you claim..Thats a bit ridiculous to say the least//Yeah you 3 are the only ones in the country that are looking for them..lol.

And the 35 centers are much rarer i hate to tell you..30 centers are all over..So a guy found 20 MSA#3s?? So whats your point? SO now its NOT rare 20 copies is nothing..As far as being high grade,,look at the census theres only SEVEN graded ones on the list,,wheres the 20 you said he had graded out ..up to 9.4..?? Dont see em on the census at all. their arent that many high grade ones out there let alone NON graded examples.

1 9.4

1 9.2

2 9.0

1 8.5

1 7.5

I have looked through MANY a long box and i know what to look for and have found a grand total of THREE...I can say ive seen a minimum 100 30 centers..MINIMUM..

Rare is realtive I guess. but in my experience 35 centers are very rare..maybe you have had great luck and found a ton. just out of curiousity..Are you finding them by the ton in boxes that people are overlooking? I doubt that ..

If you are I need to go to some of the shows that you go to cuz I am not having much luck at all..

My .02..

You can disagree with someone without being abrasive. Honest. SA didn't say the Super Actions were CGC graded...

OK Jerry, I will play along

Ok, there are two others, but they seemed to drop off the map. If you want we can count daffy06 and 4Gemworks. I wasn't counting get rich quick speculators. Are you trying for a complete set of either price variant, Jerry?

not sure what a shmo is, do they speculate on variants?

1 9.4

1 9.2

2 9.0

1 8.5

1 7.5

sorry for not being clear enough. I never said that the guy that found twenty MSA 3's had them graded. But I believe the 9.4, 9.2, and 9.0's came from that find.

:golfclap:

I never said 35 cent variants are not rare. There is more to consider though. First, do you know the print runs of any 30 or 35 cent variant? I do not, nor have I met anyone who does. Though unlikely, who knows if the print runs or percentages were exactly the same? 30 cent variants were documented first, and have been on the radar longer. I also mentioned that their visibility makes them more prolific just by their nature.

Why you have seen more 30 centers than 35 is a mystery to me. Perhaps you live closer to a 30 cent distribution area than a 35 cent distribution area. I know I do.

For the record, of the over 200 35 cent variants in my possession, I have only found two in longboxes. One was a 2001, the other was a Kid Colt. Both found in Baltimore. The 2001 was at a show, and the Kid Colt was in a comic store.

My .02..

You will probably continue to have a lack of luck if you keep on being rude about it. When it comes to finding variants, money helps, but friends are much more important.

Edited by ShieldAgent

Hey SA!

As I think has been discussed over at STL, and which opinion I share, I think it's been concluded that the 35 centers were actually printed in much smaller quantities than their 30 cent counterparts.

I believe this also. I think that over time this will hold true.

Over at STL if you look at the numbers on there list it seems they suggest there were as litle as 5 and some 50 or more I avent seen anything to suggest 1500 of each anywhere in any of the stuff ive read .. the 35 centers i mean.

Im not being abarasive Just pointing out what i thought of the comment If i sounded abrasive I apoligize BUT for someone to sugest theres only 3 people looking for them including himself seems a bit of a stretch does it not.?

I was at motor city comic con today Found about 10 30 cent variants and i asked everyone.. Not a 35 center in the house other then Someone we wont mention who way overvalues his..hes had his for a long time beaters for 500 bux and such so that why he still has em..

Seems to me i read somewhere he had a scooby doo #1 35 center for like 5k or some crazy $ didnt see it but have read it elsewhere

Like i said im not tring to be abrasive at all.I encourage open debates about things its healthy discussion IMO .

I Guess well never now the true numbers on these books.But both the 30 and 35 centers are way undervalued for sure..overstreet is waaay behind on them

Cheers,

JZ

Over at STL if you look at the numbers on there list it seems they suggest there were as litle as 5 and some 50 or more I avent seen anything to suggest 1500 of each anywhere in any of the stuff ive read .. the 35 centers i mean.

Im not being abarasive Just pointing out what i thought of the comment If i sounded abrasive I apoligize BUT for someone to sugest theres only 3 people looking for them including himself seems a bit of a stretch does it not.?

I was at motor city comic con today Found about 10 30 cent variants and i asked everyone.. Not a 35 center in the house other then Someone we wont mention who way overvalues his..hes had his for a long time beaters for 500 bux and such so that why he still has em..

Seems to me i read somewhere he had a scooby doo #1 35 center for like 5k or some crazy $ didnt see it but have read it elsewhere

Like i said im not tring to be abrasive at all.I encourage open debates about things its healthy discussion IMO .

I Guess well never now the true numbers on these books.But both the 30 and 35 centers are way undervalued for sure..overstreet is waaay behind on them

Cheers,

JZ

The numbers over at STL are a best guess estimate based on tracking information for the past couple years. I am sure some of those numbers will be revised as time goes on, and more issues surface.

You have also clarified another thing--Michigan was a 30 cent distribution area. No wonder you see 30 centers. The same is true for here in Baltimore. 35 centers are even more rare in places they were not distributed.

The last time I looked at Motorcity's scooby doo, it had a $3500 price tag. They also put it on ebay, with no bids. The last time I saw them at a show, they had a shortbox of raw 35's under the table and sold me 4 or 5 that I needed at the time. I think they are very cool.

Did you buy the 30 centers that you found?

No.. they were all low grade beaters.( unlike the astonishing tales you beat me to by 51 seconds the other night) nice book...so you actaully paid the outragous prices Goldman wants for his 35 centers??

500 bucks for a Captain america falling apart 35 cnter?? little high if you ask me