• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,558 posts in this topic

I been collecting the regular 30/35 cent coverprice Marvels for over 20 years. In that time, I never accidently came across either a 30 or 35 cent variant. The 30 centers may be easy to find but I never found one accidently...which tells me they aren't as easy as some may suggest...Jim

I've found lots of 30-cent variants in generic lots I've bought on EBay, and I'm always surprised to find a random 30-center in a long run of books. Often, it's just one or two books, but I've found complete sets of ASM, Daredevil, Defenders, etc when buying sight-unseen runs on EBay.

But I have NEVER, EVER, EVER found a random 35-center in any lots I've purchased. Not even once, and as other have stated, these are exponentially harder to find than the 30-cent variants.

I purchased this ebay lot in April due to the obvious undisclosed 30-center. I was shocked to receive the lot and discover an undisclosed 35-center! :acclaim:

defenders39_30centvariantlot.jpg

Great discussion over here... been a long time. As many have said we may never know the specifics as to the print runs of variants as this information is well over 30 years old and who knows if accurate records where even kept. We do know there was a collection from Wilmington, NC (IIRC) that had about 100 35 cent variants but that is one of or the only BIG find I can think of.

Wow. Go away for 2 days, and look what happens. Nice to see this thread revived.

Back in 1999/2000, I passed on a collection that had every possible superhero 30 cent variant in it, in HG (except for the mold that had begun to grow in the bags).

As for 35 cent variants, I picked up about 36 of them from one dealer, all from one collection.

Why aren't there more finds like this? I'm betting most people avoided the higher priced books like the plague, and they eventually became returns. The ones I found in a large lot were the result of the collector going out of his way to buy both versions off the newstand.

I know a local dealer who purchased a collection (from a guy living about a mile or two from my house! :frustrated: ) and he said it contained dozens of HG 35-centers. Pretty sure he said it had the Star Wars 35-centers.

I been collecting the regular 30/35 cent coverprice Marvels for over 20 years. In that time, I never accidently came across either a 30 or 35 cent variant. The 30 centers may be easy to find but I never found one accidently...which tells me they aren't as easy as some may suggest...Jim

I've found lots of 30-cent variants in generic lots I've bought on EBay, and I'm always surprised to find a random 30-center in a long run of books. Often, it's just one or two books, but I've found complete sets of ASM, Daredevil, Defenders, etc when buying sight-unseen runs on EBay.

But I have NEVER, EVER, EVER found a random 35-center in any lots I've purchased. Not even once, and as other have stated, these are exponentially harder to find than the 30-cent variants.

I purchased this ebay lot in April due to the obvious undisclosed 30-center. I was shocked to receive the lot and discover an undisclosed 35-center! :acclaim:

(worship) (worship) (worship)

the irony of this post is killing me. thanks wayne!

Was the 35 the MSH2 or MSH3?

I love stories like that.

Back in 2000, a seller on ebay had a lot of IF's that didn't sell. When I asked about his interest in selling them post-auction, he thought he was screwing me by asking an ungodly sum for the "nm" run. I knew the 14 was a variant, since there was pic of it. The lot showed up, and the 13 was not only the only book in nm (maybe a 9.6), but was also a 35 center.

(worship) (worship) (worship)

the irony of this post is killing me. thanks wayne!

Was the 35 the MSH2 or MSH3?

Sorry for putting you through the mental anguish! lol

The 35-center is the MSA3, actually in really nice condition. I think I'll scan and share it to give you a peek. Because I've mostly relied on bargain hunting for finding 35-centers and sold a few of my nicer ones I don't have many that are in nice condition, so this might be might top graded issue! :o

I love stories like that.

Back in 2000, a seller on ebay had a lot of IF's that didn't sell. When I asked about his interest in selling them post-auction, he thought he was screwing me by asking an ungodly sum for the "nm" run. I knew the 14 was a variant, since there was pic of it. The lot showed up, and the 13 was not only the only book in nm (maybe a 9.6), but was also a 35 center.

(worship)

So, back to me because that's a lot more interesting lol what are the odds of getting a 30-center and 35-center in the same lot - was there overlap in some or all of the test markets?

:acclaim:

Posting this makes me think, why don't we have a thread for everyone to show off their recent additions? hm

cause most people on this board only like HG, and generally dislike variants

Could be... if so then my new thread will die after the initial post... :sorry:

So you think a straight ebay auction will be better then Comiclink to sell them??

I was just using that as an example I saw and thought WOW thats a bit high for that title..

But what do i know..Your advice in this is much appreciated as imsure you have sold these in the past

Thanks

JZ

I think it is safe to say that I have been more of a buyer of price variants than a seller. :roflmao: Comiclink is a good venue to sell high grade comics as well. On comiclink, you can see listings of comics that have sold, and their prices, and you can see comics that are priced at levels which will never see an offer.

Apparently, ComicLink is a VERY good Venue to sell High Grade 35 centers. :acclaim:

Ok - I know this isn't a Bronze-Age price variant, but this IS the price variant club, so here goes:

Regular version found in comic shops across the nation. I'm sure some of you guys picked one up since the price was... FREE!

sinv-direct.jpg

Now - here is the newstand copy.

sinv-nstand.jpg

I just wondered if anyone else had one & what your thoughts might be on the print run with the $2.99 price tag. Similar to FF #60?

There are some other Marvel 'Saga' books, such as Daredevil and 'Marvel Your Universe' I have looked for, but have had no success yet.

I have just broken Dan's rule #6 on the price variant club list, but had to share...

Is it the same indicia in both editions? What does the indicia say?

and I think there are zillions more newsstand editions than FF60 :devil:

indicia are identical for both. First Printing... yadda yadda... 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Is it the same indicia in both editions? What does the indicia say?

and I think there are zillions more newsstand editions than FF60 :devil:

indicia are identical for both. First Printing... yadda yadda... 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

regarding the price..... doh!

As I mentioned before - indicia is identical in both versions of the Secret Invasion Saga.

sinv-indicia.jpg

The Secret Invasion Saga has the line about $2.99 price per copy through the newstand.

The Daredevil Saga and Marvel Your Universe Saga have no mention of newstand at all and pricing in those is $0.00. That makes me think those two were not distributed on the newstand but this one was...

One other note: I did purchase the Secret Invasion Saga off the newstand.

As I mentioned before - indicia is identical in both versions of the Secret Invasion Saga.

sinv-indicia.jpg

The Secret Invasion Saga has the line about $2.99 price per copy through the newstand.

The Daredevil Saga and Marvel Your Universe Saga have no mention of newstand at all and pricing in those is $0.00. That makes me think those two were not distributed on the newstand but this one was...

One other note: I did purchase the Secret Invasion Saga off the newstand.

thank you

so what that means is the copy of the Secret Invasion Saga with the $0.00 price tag is the actual price variant.

the reason I originally asked is because some of the modern discount marvels say things like .25 direct, and 2.25 on the newsstand covering both in the indicia.

You're right - the $0.00 is the price variant, but the print run was almost certainly heavily tilted in favor of the free copy. I saw hundreds of them at comic stores when it came out. It just reminds me of the more recent full-price newstand copies VS the .25-cent direct copies and 9-cent FF #60.

The full-priced versions are definitely tougher to find, as you well know. And I've never seen another full-priced version of this Secret Invasion Saga. Has anyone else?

x-men 423 is like that. meaning the indicia says 2.25 per copy, making the common blowout 25 cent issue the price variant.

as far as the FF60 goes, the newsstand version is really a price variant according to the indicia.

the newsstand versions are much more difficult to locate. I have been searching for a Namor 1 newsstand for years, and doubt it exists...

But where's the scan of this "second copy"? I only saw the newsstand one, not the correctly-priced Direct version, which does not make it a price variant (since the covers are different) no matter what the indicia says.

So, is there an actual regular-priced Direct copy to make this $0.00 copy a price variant? (shrug)

Ok - I know this isn't a Bronze-Age price variant

So you did know you're in the wrong forum. doh!doh!:tonofbricks: