• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,559 posts in this topic

The Marvel Canadian editions were also printed in the USA but were published for the Canadian market. Issue #73 was the first 12 cent cover so it is curious why they wanted to test the market only a couple months after they had just raised the price. Look at the indicia and see if it has a higher rate for Canadian subsciptions. Regardless it is much rarer than the regular edition.

The indicia reads "yearly subscribtion $1.50 in USA" also states "published monthly". NO mention at all of a Canadian subscribtion rate on the indicia.

Okay thanks, I know that Marvel and DC of the period had Canadian subsciption rates but it looks like Archies didn't.

Here are both the Variant and regular edition of B&V #75.

I read everything you wrote about the indicia. I am not saying it is not cool. I am not saying it is not rare. But, I would still bet it is Canadian. There are a lot of GK examples like this.

I read everything you wrote about the indicia. I am not saying it is not cool. I am not saying it is not rare. But, I would still bet it is Canadian. There are a lot of GK examples like this.

Guess I'm in the same boat as SheildAgent.

Regardless though, great find. I love these finds.

Guess I'm in the same boat as SheildAgent.

Regardless though, great find. I love these finds.

Put me in the same boat. Especially when you factor in the price increase just a few months before. Regardless-these would be nice to own.

Here is B&V #77 with a sci-fi/horror cover. Out of all the B&V 15c price Variant issues out there to be found this is the best sci-fi/horror cover I believe. The 15c Variant and regular 12c edition are seen below. There are 106 of these type Archie Variants out there to be found. These Archie Variants are 100% the same as Marvel 30c and 35c Variants in every way but much scarcer. The majority of collectors and dealers out there have never seen these price Variants. They are all out there to be found. Happy hunting!

102417.jpg.3fdf95b216050c51e2f607eb2494910f.jpg

102418.jpg.44691b1f94e9188c176170437af4358b.jpg

Here is B&V #77 with a sci-fi/horror cover. Out of all the B&V 15c price Variant issues out there to be found this is the best sci-fi/horror cover I believe. The 15c Variant and regular 12c edition are seen below. There are 106 of these type Archie Variants out there to be found. These Archie Variants are 100% the same as Marvel 30c and 35c Variants in every way but much scarcer. The majority of collectors and dealers out there have never seen these price Variants. They are all out there to be found. Happy hunting!

I would still bet they are Canadian. I could be wrong. There are a bunch of Gold Key books just like this. They look like a price variant, the indicia is silent regarding the actual cover price, but chances are, they were made for and distributed in Canada.

And yes, they are probably rare (especially in the US), like most foreign print runs compared to their American counterparts.

Have fun getting them. (thumbs u

The Variant article seen in Overstreet annual price guide #40 states they are 100% NOT Canadian editions but are test market 15c price Variants. See pages #1011 and #1017 in the 2010 Overstreet guide.

I did not buy a guide yet, so I will ask you the same thing I asked RMA in the other thread--

what is the proof?

It's that simple. Help me out here. (I happen to like price variants)

I would still bet they are Canadian. I could be wrong. There are a bunch of Gold Key books just like this. They look like a price variant, the indicia is silent regarding the actual cover price, but chances are, they were made for and distributed in Canada.

And yes, they are probably rare (especially in the US), like most foreign print runs compared to their American counterparts.

There are two reasons I think that these are variants, and not Canadian editions (yes, you Copper fan-boys, EDITIONS--there are no Canadian variants).

1) The test marketing of prices increases was a tried and true technique in the comic industry. I can't remember where, but I recall a letter from one publisher (not the Sol Brodsky letter Dan has) explaining how this was used. To think Marvel came up with this as an original idea in the '70's is a bit unrealistic.

2) Don't assume the Canadian dollar was weaker at all times. There have definitely been periods when it was stronger. I don't have time research it,, but....

OK, the internet is your friend, and my hunch was right. Prior to 1960, the Canadian dollar was stronger than the US. By 1961, it was worth a few cents less, and by 1962, it was worth approximately .93 US. I really don't believe that the comic industry (especially Archie), was fast enough to create Canadian versions in response to the currency change. In fact, it probably wasn't worth the expense at this point (it's not like the 1980s, when it was worth between .70-.80 US).

Just a thought.

Edited by silverandbronze

There are two reasons I think that these are variants, and not Canadian editions (yes, you Copper fan-boys, EDITIONS--there are no Canadian variants).

1) The test marketing of prices increases was a tried and true technique in the comic industry. I can't remember where, but I recall a letter from one publisher (not the Sol Brodsky letter Dan has) explaining how this was used. To think Marvel came up with this as an original idea in the '70's is a bit unrealistic.

2) Don't assume the Canadian dollar was weaker at all times. There have definitely been periods when it was stronger. I don't have time research it,, but....

OK, the internet is your friend, and my hunch was right. Prior to 1960, the Canadian dollar was stronger than the US. By 1961, it was worth a few cents less, and by 1962, it was worth approximately .93 US. I really don't believe that the comic industry (especially Archie), was fast enough to create Canadian versions in response to the currency change. In fact, it probably wasn't worth the expense at this point (it's not like the 1980s, when it was worth between .70-.80 US).

Just a thought.

That is very logical. I hear lots of very logical arguments, and various things that make sense. I was still hoping for some proof, thats all.

I guess when you look at my defination of price variant, cover vs. indicia, these may very well be price variants. It would be screwed up though, if they were manufactured on purpose for Canada, and still retained the PV notation.

Just a thought.

That is very logical. I hear lots of very logical arguments, and various things that make sense. I was still hoping for some proof, thats all.

I guess when you look at my defination of price variant, cover vs. indicia, these may very well be price variants. It would be screwed up though, if they were manufactured on purpose for Canada, and still retained the PV notation.

According to the Overstreet article, the books say 12c in the indicia.

Just a thought.

According to the Overstreet article, the books say 12c in the indicia.

bill999 confirmed this earlier.

It is 100% a test market price Variant and states "Printed in the USA" and "single copies 12c" on the indicia.

It is 100% a test market price Variant and states "Printed in the USA" and "single copies 12c" on the indicia. These are not Canadian in any way.

I'm in Bills camp. The timing of these issues being right around the change from 12 to 15 cents is simply too convenient. While somewhat related, I do remember that Dell had a few years around 1960 where they had 15 cent comics for all years. I think this was before they reduced the size of the comics they were producing.

It is 100% a test market price Variant and states "Printed in the USA" and "single copies 12c" on the indicia. These are not Canadian in any way.

I'm in Bills camp. The timing of these issues being right around the change from 12 to 15 cents is simply too convenient. While somewhat related, I do remember that Dell had a few years around 1960 where they had 15 cent comics for all years. I think this was before they reduced the size of the comics they were producing.

I don't get this. This title didn't change to 15 cents until July 1969 and issue #75 is Mar 1962 so it took over 7 years before the price actually changed.

I don't get this. This title didn't change to 15 cents until July 1969 and issue #75 is Mar 1962 so it took over 7 years before the price actually changed.

(worship)

Roger, please stop with the facts part. Facts ruin everything.