• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,557 posts in this topic

Can I join the club? My first 30 center. yay.gif

185 more to go gossip.gif

tonofbricks.gif Just how rare are these books? What was a typical distribution figure for these books?

I do not think any of the FF's are rare as far as variants go.

I have no idea on print runs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Okay this looks like a variant but data would suggest otherwise? Here is my 9.6 copy and as you can see the price tage is completely different. Thoughts, comments.

cgc-ff-199-cgc98.jpg

That is a Direct Sale edition of FF 199 sometimes referred to as Whitman variants although there is some doubt that all of these were distributed by Western Publishing. Gifflefunk's site has the best info on the subject-

http://www.bipcomics.com/showcase/Direct/

grin.gif

Okay this looks like a variant but data would suggest otherwise?

Circa 1978, you're looking at a Whitman variant.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

while the jury may still be out on this subject, I would tend to agree with the above comment.

If ever there was a strong case for the Whitman Variant, it seems to me that the white box issues are the most likely candidates.

yah, you will see those coloured in diamond prices inside the starburst all over the place.

it's not as common as the regular newsstand, but it's not technically a "price variant."

whitman variant, yes, but it seems like these were quite plentiful in certain areas

Well with only 4 copies at 9.8 I believe I probably have the lone Whitman variant which is fine by me and at a great price too. grin.gifyay.gif If this was a reprint I would think that CGC would have labelled it accordingly. I have really been lucky plucking some of these high grade BA FF's this past year.

Well with only 4 copies at 9.8 I believe I probably have the lone Whitman variant which is fine by me and at a great price too. grin.gifyay.gif If this was a reprint I would think that CGC would have labelled it accordingly. I have really been lucky plucking some of these high grade BA FF's this past year.

OK I am going to try to be perfectly clear:

This is not a price variant.

This is not a reprint.

The question debated in another thread is: could this be an example of a Marvel Comics Group "Whitman Variant". JC believes "yes". I tend to agree with him in this circumstance.

regardless--you have a very nice book.

These just came in from Sarasota. I'll be selling them after New Years. PM if you're interested.

Two-Gun Kid #129, 3.5 ow Back Cover

TwoGunKid_129_v.jpg

Two-Gun Kid #130, 6.0 ow/w Back Cover

TwoGunKid_130a_v.jpg

Two-Gun Kid #130, 5.5 ow Back Cover

TwoGunKid_130b_v.jpg

Two-Gun Kid #131, 6.5 w Back Cover

TwoGunKid_131_v.jpg

Weird Wonder Tales #15, 6.5 c/ow Back Cover

WeirdWonderTales_015_v.jpg

What are variants dead now?

no postings in awhile and I was able to get these two for a moderate price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

Only cosmic bid against me and he never came bac to bid more! 893whatthe.gif

So I have two Westerns crossed off my list. I would say they are in fine shape, perhaps better laugh.gif

I would say what happened to Darth and others, but as you can see by the listing. It was a short three dayer, and never use "#" sign and "30cent"

i found it on ebay by using just "marvel variant"

I consider myself lucky! headbang.gif

So I have two Westerns crossed off my list. I would say they are in fine shape, perhaps better laugh.gif

I would say what happened to Darth and others, but as you can see by the listing. It was a short three dayer, and never use "#" sign and "30cent"

I gave up hoarding...I thought Cosmic needed them too.

I also do not understand why some people bid $90+ on hidden books, but do not even bid on the ones in plain sight.

you also say "crossed off (your) list"--are you collecting them now or will you be flipping in a couple of weeks?

Let me know if you want to cross more 30 cent westerens off your list gossip.gif

Very nice pick up! 893applaud-thumb.gif Right now I'm focusing on strictly upgrades in regards to 30 centers, but if I had been checking ebay, I would have bid on the westerns @ ~$50 a piece... If I won, great confused-smiley-013.gif If not, oh well, wait for the next one to come along.

Honestly, back during 2002- 2004 when my set was not complete, I was on top of any and all 30 cent variant auction on ebay: hiddens, prices sold, grades, sellers, frequent buyers, etc. I had cyberstalking lists for several of you guys and knew what weird stuff you had picked up in the last 4 months. It was fun. Now, with two wonderful kids that love and need my attention, I barely have time to read my new weekly comics, much less post on the boards and ebay is no longer a site I visit daily confused-smiley-013.gif

So every now and then, if you're unlucky, I might drive up the price of your next western, X-men or Sgt fury 30 cent price variant. But the rest of the variants, unless they are slabbed at 9.4 and up or are raw and have NM in the description, will definitely get passes or $5 marker bids at best. thumbsup2.gif

is the 30c variant market dying off? seems like i see a lot of these commanding less and less of a premium, save the biggies, even though some dude auctioned off a full VF x-men 30c run - in 3 separate auctions - and got less than $60 each

The problem has always been getting folks interested in going for the whole variant set. Some collect only variants of specific superhero titles to be completionists and we see high er prices for ASM, Xmen, FF, Avengers variants. The westerns, reprints and horror variants are only of interest to those going for a complete 186 book variant set. Of the few folks I know going for it, they have copies of all or most of these books in the grades/conditions they want or can get a hold of it by trading from a known network of variant collectors. Then again it may be that VF is not HG enough for some folks, when it comes to these books hi.gif After Matt Nelson auctions off his high grade 30 cent variants (9.2 - 9.6), you might see the opposite trend in prices acheived for 30 cent variants than comichunters recent bargain finds.

is the 30c variant market dying off? seems like i see a lot of these commanding less and less of a premium,...

And I've always said, if you ever wanted to get started seriously on chasing this set, there is no better time than when they do command less and less of a premium. Flying Donut has had several common to the harder to find variants up over the last month and seem to have sold for fair prices in my opinion, versus the heated market I was picking them up in 2002-2003. As a buyer newly stating out, I would have been happy to pick them up at those prices. However, as a seller, it may tell me that the market is soft and hold on my dupes longer and wait down the road to list a few to test the waters again.

is the 30c variant market dying off? seems like i see a lot of these commanding less and less of a premium,...

And I've always said, if you ever wanted to get started seriously on chasing this set, there is no better time than when they do command less and less of a premium. Flying Donut has had several common to the harder to find variants up over the last month and seem to have sold for fair prices in my opinion, versus the heated market I was picking them up in 2002-2003. As a buyer newly stating out, I would have been happy to pick them up at those prices. However, as a seller, it may tell me that the market is soft and hold on my dupes longer and wait down the road to list a few to test the waters again.

damn. i've got a Howard the Duck 3 in NM i was going to try and scrape off on you, too...

cute kids btw