• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
31 31

3,558 posts in this topic

I listed 5 35 cent variant books this weekend (Avengers #163, Conan #79, John Carter #5, Ms. Marvel #6, and Thor #261)- here's a link to my eBay page:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZsneeze58QQhtZ-1

These auctions are ending in a few short hours smile.gif...

looks like people are starting to care about condition now? Nice return on Ms. Marvel and Conan though thumbsup2.gif

I wasn't going to complain smile.gif. I keep meaning to dig up those MC issues- I'll check and see if I have any this weekend.

Thanks thumbsup2.gif I'll send over a PM shortly.

moved from the registry set forum. Roger is answering a post I made. Figured some folks may want to chime in on their rankings of most difficult issues to come by from their experience.

Just a quick list from my experience of toughest to come by (remember I'm still actively chasing high grade copies so I'm searching hiddens on ebay daily):

Kid colts

Mighty Marvel Western

Ringo Kid

rawhide kids ***edited in***

Sgt Fury's

Two-Gun Kid

Chamber of Chills

Weird Wonder Tales

Tomb of darkness

Marvel SuperHeroes

Marvels Greatest Comics

Marvel Adventures

Marvel TRiple Action

Adventures on the planet of the apes (6 and 7 can be really tough, 5's grow on trees confused-smiley-013.gif )

Werewolf by night

Jungle actions ***edited in***

MDFs, Kull 16, Kazars

The rest are fairly more common. Other collectors may have different experiences, but remember that they may have been hooked up by another collector on rarer issues, making that issue for them easeir to acquire.

I agree with most of the above and Carl has been at this longer than I. However, you left Rawhide Kid off the list and I would put that right below Kid Colt or at least even with MMW. I would also move WBN down to the Jungle Action range and move Marvel Adventures above MTA. Again this is based on my experience which may not be reality since as Carl says it just depends on how you were hooked up. I also had a heck of a time finding decent copies of Master of Kung Fu. They are not tough to find in low grade but decent copies always seem to elude me or go for out-of-this-world prices.

Good to see some variant talk again around here too. Hey Comicdey, what other variants to you have? Could you post them up? grin.gif

IM 89?

Marvel Tales in decent shape?

X-men are difficult to aquire because of some hoarder... poke2.gif

also of note: not rare, but ASM 159 was one of my last 7 books

so glad to be done cloud9.gif I really do not miss searching for 30's.

Someone please help me with the remaining 35's that I need 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I have never seen "in the wild" any Kid Colt variants besides mine. Obviously they're out there, but I never saw them. My last two were Weird Wonder Tales 15 and Marvel Tales 68, for what its worth.

I have never seen "in the wild" any Kid Colt variants besides mine. Obviously they're out there, but I never saw them. My last two were Weird Wonder Tales 15 and Marvel Tales 68, for what its worth.

the only "wild" Kid Colt I ever found was the 219 in a Balto comic shop. I wish I still had that book, and have my doubts on ever getting another.

My last 6 books were:

ASM 159

Chamber of Chills 22 (waited in line for this book)

Kid Colt 205

Kid Colt 207

Kid Colt 208 (waited in line for this book too) thanks again to FT88 thumbsup2.gif

Ringo 28

Since I have seen about 5 or 6 KC 205's, and about 5 207's

KC208 was my last book. I waited over a year. I found one other during that time but lost it to a greedy liar who I thought was my friend.

KC208 was my last book. I waited over a year. I found one other during that time but lost it to a greedy liar who I thought was my friend.

blush.gif Ouch.

the only "wild" Kid Colt I ever found was the 219 in a Balto comic shop. I wish I still had that book, and have my doubts on ever getting another.

My last 6 books were:

ASM 159

Chamber of Chills 22 (waited in line for this book)

Kid Colt 205

Kid Colt 207

Kid Colt 208 (waited in line for this book too) thanks again to FT88 thumbsup2.gif

Ringo 28

Since I have seen about 5 or 6 KC 205's, and about 5 207's

It really just shows that all of our experiences are idiosyncratic--I used to trip over Spidey 159's in Baltimore, and probably sold about 6 or 7 on ebay circa 2000.

Just to show how frustrating it can be to finally finish off a set--apparently I've blocked from my memory the final issue I needed and had to look it up on my old site. Rawhide Kid 134.

Other toughies for me:

Kid Colt 208

MTA 30

Sgt Fury 133

+ 1 or 2 others I've conveniently forgotten.

Obviously, this isn't typical for most of us. I was just plain lucky in finding many of the westerns in one fell swoop early in the process. After finding about 10 super nice variants at a toy show, I followed the name of the store stamped on the back of one of the backing boards in this lot (sheer brilliance--it only took about 4 months for this to occur to me). I walked in to this place and picked up about 30 variants from this store, all HG, including many of the westerns, reprints, and horror titles. All on sale, probably for about a 1.50 each.

As an aside--I saw F'ish copies of WBN 38 and 39 at the Detroit show--were marked as variants, but in a 50% off box (for about 7 bucks each). I just couldn't pull the trigger and start the insanity again.

Edited by silverandbronze

...I followed the name of the store stamped on the back of one of the backing boards in this lot (sheer brilliance--it only took about 4 months for this to occur to me)...

27_laughing.gif I have plenty of backing boards with such information and I've never followed up. With my luck these stores have gone out of business. The store stamps look faded from back in the day. I just may have to dig a few of these up. On a similar note, my first KCO 207 with the big "10" in black marker all over the face of it was obviosly pilfered at some point from the Arbutus MD jr high library, as revealed by the book stamp on the cover foreheadslap.gif

I agree that those Marvel Tales are tough above Fine... my #70 needs an upgrade in fact. My last 4 were:

Kid Colt Outlaw 207

Ringo Kid 28-Thanks Harry!

Rawhide Kid 134

Kid Colt Outlaw 208

and in that order too. Of course after I got the KC #207 from a large lot on E-Bay another 3 came out in the next few months. I haven't seen any of my last 3 for sale in the past few years so those would be the toughest overall IMHO. I will also add that nobody seems to have an above mid-grade copy of TGK #131 (maybe Paul?) so that would be the scarcest in high grade as far as I can figure.

smile.gif it is good to see some variant talk around hear again maybe this will get me in gear to finish my 30 cent set I just need 14 more now, it would be allot more if not for metarog and ShieldAgent thanks guys, also thanks to FD I just got my last Sgt. Fury Variant. cloud9.gif

hi.gif Hay Darth do you have a extra TOD #20 now, if so any interest is selling it? poke2.gif

grin.gifOh yea I did find a nice "Wild" Kid Colt #205 at the Knoxville TN. Adventure con. which I hope to go to again hear in about 9 days. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Edited by cosmic-spider-man

Go for it Terry! There is competition but you will complete it eventually.

As to "wild" variants... I think I have only found two living down here is South Florida which is essentially a comic desert. I did find two 30 centers in Orlando a few years ago... a Marvel Feature 4 and a Thor 247 or 249. I have found several 35 cent variants in the Eastern North Florida area including a nice PowerMan 47 which Terry now has.

I think I remember the KC 207 Carl is talking about... it was the slabbed 1.0 wasn't it? You also have the infamous TGK 130 1.8 Tuberculosis comic? Is there a story behind that one too?

I have a TGK 131 (which I need to upgrade) with a faded stain on the front cover that looks like it could be some bodily fluid residue... I haven't gotten up the courage to smell it so it is quarantined from the rest of my variants in case it is still contagious.

My last variant oddity is a Powerman #30 that has the staples placed so far into the comic that you can't read the first 20% of any page. I really like this comic though since it is so fresh and crisp (probably because nobody could read it). This is the keeper in my 30 cent variant collection.

hi.gif Hay Darth do you have a extra TOD #20 now, if so any interest is selling it? poke2.gif

Yes and yes wink.gif I've had an extra for a few months now, ever since I started searching again on ebay for hiddens. It is in gd/vg condition; I just picked up another one recently that I'd like to have submitted. I don't think it will be my new "best copy" but definitely worth looking into. I'll see if I can add scans of recent pickups here. Just didn't know where the set collectors had progressed to, during my self imposed hiatus from comics tongue.gif

grin.gifOh yea I did find a nice "Wild" Kid Colt #205 at the Knoxville TN. Adventure con. which I hope to go to again hear in about 9 days. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I think Harry might have told me about your find. The last KCO 205s I've seen were from major dealers and on eBay. There was one sitting forever in a Balto dealer's ebay store until the price lowered to $50 (maybe sold this year?), JScomics had a "hidden" copy I picked up last year.

As to "wild" variants...

Hey Rog, we were only talking about "wild" westerns.

Went into Balto today to a shop I have not been to in over a year, and plucked out two 30 centers from the back issue boxes.

Found 7 and bought 5 this past weekend at a local Balto show thumbsup2.gif

As to "wild" variants...

Hey Rog, we were only talking about "wild" westerns.

sorry.gif

Ahhh, I get it now... no wild westerns for me unfortunately.

Hopefully I will run into a minty TGK 131 someday... tongue.gif

Edited by metarog

Went into Balto today to a shop I have not been to in over a year, and plucked out two 30 centers from the back issue boxes.

hail.gif Another Howard the duck 3 and 4 poke2.gif27_laughing.gif

Champions 7 & Hulk 200 headbang.gif

I have enough HTD 3 & 4's 893whatthe.gif

as a matter of fact, I may have almost as many HTD 3's as you have X-men 98's, you hoarder poke2.gif

It's always fun to find books in the wild. A couple of years ago, in literally the last box I looked at before I left the show, I found a WWT 15 sitting right behind its 25-cent brother.

I found a big bunch of them in the wild - including Ringo Kid 27 and Sgt. Fury 133 - in a regular back issue box in Mountain View, CA, when I was on vacation. Mrs. Donut and I traded comic store visits for yarn store visits for two days, and that little find paid for all of her yarn.