• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic egos

133 posts in this topic

...and then guys start throwing him under the bus saying he could of got a nice golden or silverage age for that price,but if that makes him happy so be it. wink.gif

Sterling puts the truck in reverse.

BUMP BUMP........BUMP BUMP

What was that? insane.gif

What would irritate me is a high end GA or early SA collector coming on here and ridiculing my choice of collecting ASM 39-150, or implying that I'm less of a collector or enthusiast because of it. Much like a certain SA collector who ridiculed you for collecting Bronze X-Men.

I've asked this before of others, but will ask again, because there is an implication in your statement that this has happened on these boards: other than the famous Tom B/JC flame war, has a high end GA or early SA collector come on here and derided your, or anybody else's, choice of collecting? confused.gif

other than the famous Tom B/JC flame war, has a high end GA or early SA collector come on here and derided your, or anybody else's, choice of collecting? confused.gif

Yes. My own collecting habits have been disparaged by several people on the Boards (I believe I named at least 1 or 2 of them in one of my PMs to you a while back), including some who would qualify as high-end GA or SA collectors. I won't repeat the names of the guilty parties here.

, has a high end GA or early SA collector come on here and derided your, or anybody else's, choice of collecting? confused.gif

It is a daily occurrence in the Bronze and Modern Forums when someone posts insane.gif about what folks spend on CGC 9.9 or 10.0 or top census "common" Bronze Age keys (Ghost Rider 1, MS 5, Hulk 181, etc) confused-smiley-013.gif I don't think I've ever seen the opposite, where a Modern collector ridicules Golden Age or Silver Age enthusiasts for spending tens of $1000s on an older key like AF15 restored, Tec 27 restored , Action 1 in rotted condition. So if you (in general) spend several grand for a deteriorated Action 1 in CGC 2.5 (whose grade has been subject to much derision from the members here), I'm supposed to awe and applaud you when I who chase after flawless books can't fathom any reasoning that would justify such a flawed Action 1's purchase ever? confused.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Punny,

That was beautifull. I think you spoke for a lot of us who still love the hobby like we did when we were kids. My favorite posts are when people share their treasures, recent purchases, HG gems, readers, etc. I was away from collecting for probably 20 years and these boards and the stories that are shared here have drawn me back in big time. thumbsup2.gif

Now if I was your son and found out that "you might sell them" I would probably steal them from you before you could. boo.gif

other than the famous Tom B/JC flame war, has a high end GA or early SA collector come on here and derided your, or anybody else's, choice of collecting? confused.gif

Yes. My own collecting habits have been disparaged by several people on the Boards (I believe I named at least 1 or 2 of them in one of my PMs to you a while back), including some who would qualify as high-end GA or SA collectors. I won't repeat the names of the guilty parties here.

Gene, I recall some references to collectors/dealers in your PMs, but they seemed to fall more into the category of "you don't know what you're talking about, and you don't have sufficient expertise or credentials to make the judgments that you make", rather than "you are stupid to collect ASM 39-150, real men only collect ASM 1-10 in 9.6 and above", which is what I thought COI was referring to.

I have been made fun of for wearing pink at a funeral, does that count?

also - a hint of advice to the "high end" collectors -

Don't Bob for apples when you're thirsty, and never wear your heels to the golf course or the gun range.

let me help Gene out here, and take responsibility for my actions in this regard. I think Gene was referring to me when I posted last year ridiculing his purchase of the GIJOE original artwork to #21. Its a perfect example of one genre looking down his nose at another. I still dont "get it" about that book, or the values of the artwork, but I now realize that many of you do.

I dont recall anyone questioning someone specifically collecting Spideys after Ditko... And I cant understand that either since IMO Ditko was the One True Spidey Artist.... but here again, to each his own...

a lot of these stories are of fakers not braggers. The original post spoke of comic egos: of collectors who look down on others who have "lesser" collections. THATS nots the same thing as a guy who claims to have incredible stuff that you later find out diesnt.

How is that not a case of comic ego?

I see, so what you are saying is that if you are a person in the first story that looks down on others, talk trash and make people feel bad about their collection...and brag how your collection is so much better than everyone else's...but in reality your collection actually blows nuts (instead of being a nice collection)...that's NOT comic ego. Ahhhh...I get it. What was I thinking?

So you have to have GOOD comics to have comic ego? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I actually have no idea what your point is...but thanks!

a lot of these stories are of fakers not braggers. The original post spoke of comic egos: of collectors who look down on others who have "lesser" collections. THATS nots the same thing as a guy who claims to have incredible stuff that you later find out diesnt.

How is that not a case of comic ego?

I see, so what you are saying is that if you are a person in the first story that looks down on others, talk trash and make people feel bad about their collection...and brag how your collection is so much better than everyone else's...but in reality your collection actually blows nuts (instead of being a nice collection)...that's NOT comic ego. Ahhhh...I get it. What was I thinking?

So you have to have GOOD comics to have comic ego? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I actually have no idea what your point is...but thanks!

well yeah, I think. If you brag about your collection as fantastic, and the reality is that it blows chunks, what do you have to have comic ego about? The original scenario was comic collectors WITH great books showing them off and lording it over lesser collections. So you have to have the stuff to btag about - - you cant make it up! (in this scenario...)

Pretending to have stuff you dont have is , I dunno, an insecurity complex? But not "ego". Ego is a huge planet in outer space that looks like an ugly dude!

Pretending to have stuff you dont have is , I dunno, an insecurity complex?

Most egos are FED by insecurity. The fact that a braggart poseur/wannabe is delusional or lying doesn't mean they're not egotistical.

Gene, I recall some references to collectors/dealers in your PMs, but they seemed to fall more into the category of "you don't know what you're talking about, and you don't have sufficient expertise or credentials to make the judgments that you make"

No, I have been disparaged numerous times in this public forum by SA snobs specifically about my collecting preferences. Yes, there was the GI Joe #21 original art incident as Aman619 admitted to (and he was only one of *many* who made such comments - for example, one particularly obnoxious BSD wannabe scoffed at my purchase and said that he only collected comic art by "real artists like Kirby and Ditko"). However, I have also been condescended to on several other occasions by various people about my comic collecting choices (back in the day I won my fair share of high-end Bronze and Modern Marvels and was well-known among the eBay community as specializing as such). Now, I don't think you were posting on the Boards when these incidents occurred, but I have to say that I'm a bit puzzled that you think these high end collectors and dealers, as a whole, are nice people - has this been your experience or do you just give everyone a lot of slack? I mean, I've heard that Tripps is a genuinely nice guy, but we've seen here first-hand what an insufferable cad that other guy is and I could definitely add some more names to that list...

well yeah, I think. If you brag about your collection as fantastic, and the reality is that it blows chunks, what do you have to have comic ego about? The original scenario was comic collectors WITH great books showing them off and lording it over lesser collections. So you have to have the stuff to btag about - - you cant make it up! (in this scenario...)

Pretending to have stuff you dont have is , I dunno, an insecurity complex? But not "ego". Ego is a huge planet in outer space that looks like an ugly dude!

You are assuming the person is "pretending". I know PLENTY of people that are PLENTY proud of their collection, crappy car, ugly girlfriend....insert whatever...you are assuming they know their {insert whatever} is inferior. It might not be to them.

but putting that aside....

I'm sure most people understand exactly what I am saying, but I'll put it another way that you will understand:

The person in the first story comes in and does all the other stuff he did...but he doesn't bring the actual comics. He just talks about them, talks about his collection, makes comments about your collection and how his is far more superior...etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah...all the classic Comic Ego stuff

or

The person in the first story comes in and does all the other stuff he did...but instead of pricey high dollar comics...he does it with some odd/obscure comic that is collectible to him.

Isn't that comic ego? Is it only comic ego if you "show" your comics? (how many people haul their comics around in a back pack or box?)

so you are saying it is only EGO if he shows you the comics OR if his comics are actually quality comics....if they don't show the comics or the comics they have are crappy (to us...obviously not to him) there is no way what thy have is comic ego?

gotcha thumbsup2.gif

while I have your attention....what the f893censored-thumb.gifk is up with your avatar?

I'm not trying to be a , but your avatar is offensive. I am sure that I am not the only person here that finds it extremely distasteful. I'm not trying to be a @sshole to you or anything, but do you honestly think that the picture you are using is appropriate for comic book forums.

What is even more disturbing is that you actually colored it and such. Damn man, c'mon.

What would irritate me is a high end GA or early SA collector coming on here and ridiculing my choice of collecting ASM 39-150, or implying that I'm less of a collector or enthusiast because of it. Much like a certain SA collector who ridiculed you for collecting Bronze X-Men.

I've asked this before of others, but will ask again, because there is an implication in your statement that this has happened on these boards: other than the famous Tom B/JC flame war, has a high end GA or early SA collector come on here and derided your, or anybody else's, choice of collecting? confused.gif

The ratio of "Look at this insufficiently_thoughtful_person who spent $xxxx for Mr. Comic #1 in CGC 9.4+ b/c we all know the price of that book is going to plummet over the next 10 years." to "Your bronze and/or silver collection sucks compared to my silver and/or golden age collection" is about 10 to 1.

I see a lot more complaining about people criticizing other people's collecting habits than I see people actually criticizing other people's collecting habits, except of course for those that only view the hobby in terms of $$ (past/present/future) and feel the need to constantly criticize other's purchases.

while I have your attention....what the f893censored-thumb.gifk is up with your avatar?

I'm not trying to be a , but your avatar is offensive. I am sure that I am not the only person here that finds it extremely distasteful. I'm not trying to be a @sshole to you or anything, but do you honestly think that the picture you are using is appropriate for comic book forums.

What is even more disturbing is that you actually colored it and such. Damn man, c'mon.

I agree wholeheartedly.

-- Joanna

The ratio of "Look at this insufficiently_thoughtful_person who spent $xxxx for Mr. Comic #1 in CGC 9.4+ b/c we all know the price of that book is going to plummet over the next 10 years." to "Your bronze and/or silver collection sucks compared to my silver and/or golden age collection" is about 10 to 1.

I see a lot more complaining about people criticizing other people's collecting habits than I see people actually criticizing other people's collecting habits, except of course for those that only view the hobby in terms of $$ (past/present/future) and feel the need to constantly criticize other's purchases.

thumbsup2.gif Thanks Banner, that's exactly the point I was building up to! The only thing I disagree with your post is that the ratio is more like 1000 to 1.