• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction Fees

22 posts in this topic

I was told by ebay that there is a max fee of $100 on comic sales. So, it's 9% (or whatever) with a ceiling of $100. If that's the case, and if one stands to make about the same amount from a sale on ebay as on the other auction sites, wouldn't ebay be the preferred place to sell comics worth >$1000? Sure paypal takes another 3%, but on books over $1000, wouldn't you pay less fees on ebay + paypal than on, say, Clink or CConnect?

I think it ends up like this 11% of the initial $50.00, plus 6% of the initial $50.01 - $1,000.00 plus 2.0% of the remaining closing value balance ($1,000.01 - closing value)

I was told in no uncertain terms that there is a $100 cap. You figured I'd know b/c I've sold (am selling) lots of books on ebay. I always pay the bulk monthly fee and have never really broken it down book by book. I guess I should do that to know exactly what fees I'm paying.

Have you heard of a $100 max sale fee?

I took that off of the ebay website and it said nothing of max fees. I could be wrong because I don't sell much but that's what the site says. If there was a 100$ cap everyone would be using ebay instead of other auction houses. Pm sparklecitycomics on the boards and I'm sure they can clarify.

100$ is the max for an auction style listing (not just a straight buy it now)

"Auction-style listings: The final value fee is based on a percentage of the item's total cost to the buyer (less any sales tax). The maximum final value fee for auction-style listings is $100.00. For example, if you sell an item for $1,500.00 and charge $10.00 for shipping, you'll pay only $100.00, even though 9% of $1,510.00 is $135.90. This maximum final value fee does not apply to Stores subscribers."

can't beat it. but it's the PP fees that bother me. :pullhair:doh!:tonofbricks::boo:

But that's only 3% right? So for higher value books, it seems to me that ebay is the place to sell, given you can get as high a final price there as on the other auction sites. Given my last 2 (and only 2 so far) auctions on Clink - I would have done just as well on final price had I just put them on ebay myself, and done better with my final net amount.

But I'd very much like to hear other peoples' views on this...

for a book over 1000, eBay is the best place. As the price increases, the fee is capped at 1000. And you can start your min bid at the min price you're willing to accept.

For example, if you sell a 5000 book on ebay, you'll pay approx. 150 in PP fees and the 100 ebay fee for an effective fee rate of 5%.

Twice as good as any auction house/online site!

for a book over 1000, eBay is the best place. As the price increases, the fee is capped at 1000. And you can start your min bid at the min price you're willing to accept.

For example, if you sell a 5000 book on ebay, you'll pay approx. 150 in PP fees and the 100 ebay fee for an effective fee rate of 5%.

Twice as good as any auction house/online site!

Exactly! Now, the other important part of the question is:

for books valued at, say, 2K and over, can you expect to get roughly the same final bid on ebay as you can at, say Clink or CConnect?

very useful site..good recommendation (thumbs u

Thanks! I was trying to figure out the best price to list for, and eBay's help forums/site were of no help, so I found that site on google. Seems pretty accurate, and I like that it works in the PayPal fees and takes into account if you're doing a fixed price or an auction

If you go to this site: http://www.newlifeauctions.com/calc.html

It will calculate how much you will end up with after eBay and PayPal fees and also let you input the amount you want and tell you how much you should list for.

Matt

Brilliant! It seems that if you do a no-reserve auction with no S&H, it pays to list on ebay for any book resulting in a final value of $1415 or more.

But I still want your opinions on this Q: Do you believe that your final bid on ebay will be the same as that on other sites? If so, then for any book $1415 or over - sell on ebay!

I don't have as much experience as others with books over 1K (selling wise) but I think that eBay is more of a crapshoot when it comes to this. Granted, most of the sales used to set GPA on a book come from eBay, but I think if the book is reasonably priced you're more likely to sell it on ComicLink, per se, faster. Then again, as you pointed out, there is the 10% that goes to the buyer when you list there.

I don't have as much experience as others with books over 1K (selling wise) but I think that eBay is more of a crapshoot when it comes to this. Granted, most of the sales used to set GPA on a book come from eBay, but I think if the book is reasonably priced you're more likely to sell it on ComicLink, per se, faster. Then again, as you pointed out, there is the 10% that goes to the buyer when you list there.

I have sold tons on ebay and just started listing on Clink and CConnect. I believe I would have gotten from ebay the same amount I just got from Clink (on an X-Men 1, 8.0 and a ASM 1, 7.0) - and would have paid far less in fees and would have gotten my money much sooner!

I do have many more books up on CConnect now, so we'll see how those fare. But as of right now I see no benefit (other than those places scanning and shipping books for you) in selling on sites other than ebay.