• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TWD #2 or avengers #4

47 posts in this topic

For long term investment, knowing that the price will, for the most part, hold steady, avengers 4.

While I focus on my WD collection, and I love the series, the prices will eventually go down 2c

I know there's been #2's hitting 1K and over, I just can't see that price 10 years down the road.

In the end, it all comes down to your future intentions with the books. If you're looking to recoup or make a profit, take the Avengers. If you truly love having a WD collection, future prices aside, get the #2. Although, I'd recommend building a collection from the recent issues back, over time. Prices on the earlier issues should subside, as the new found hoopla dies down :)

Ummm... Avengers #4.

Which reminds me. I have to get that Hallmark Keepsake ornament of the #4 issue.

Jerel,

My partner at work buys out 3 Hallmark stores every year after Christmas. She buys everything left! Thousands of ornaments over the past few years. I am betting she has some left...

She just gifted me about 8 of them a month ago including the old BSG Cylon!!!!

I can probably hook you up cheapie cheap

Huh...reading your sig line reminds of the early 1990's Valiant bubble. I had conversations with several Philly-area dealers who were okay with Harbinger 1 selling for $100 because they legitimately thought it would go to $250 within the next three years--something no comic had done (in inflation-adjusted terms) since GS X-Men 1 and X-Men 94.

The smart folks traded up for Silver Age. Still should.

Huh...reading your sig line reminds of the early 1990's Valiant bubble. I had conversations with several Philly-area dealers who were okay with Harbinger 1 selling for $100 because they legitimately thought it would go to $250 within the next three years--something no comic had done (in inflation-adjusted terms) since GS X-Men 1 and X-Men 94.

I never collected valiant for their monetary value.. I just love the books. If grades were equal it would be silly not to pick Avengers, but chances are this thread is comparing a hg twd to a lower grade avengers. The question remains what is the condition of the Avengers 4.

Considering Harbinger 1 shot way past $250 in 9.8 I'm not sure you made your point.

With all of the long standing Silver age titles ending and rebooting what will drive the collectibility? If the rule of 25 sticks then what will be more desireable in 25 years?

Captain America has been around for over 70 years. He is iconic, and still relevant today. Walking Dead is less than 10 years old, and is peaking. How can WD possibly get more "hot" than it already is? The TV show will run its course, and the book will cool off. Captain America is Captain America. There is no comparison here.

With all of the long standing Silver age titles ending and rebooting what will drive the collectibility? If the rule of 25 sticks then what will be more desireable in 25 years?

Captain America.

The rule of 25 originated from kids. Kids playing with toys and then 25 years later they have jobs & real money to spend on collectables recapturing their youth. (The 25 isn't set in stone, it's more about hitting the late 20's early 30's demographic recapturing their youth.) For example Star Wars, G.I. Joe and Transformer toys. It's why people expect another bump in TMNT #1 soon.

Walking Dead is an adult book and an adult TV show. It's already hitting the demographic. I wouldn't put faith in the rule of 25 for WD. 2c

Captain America on the other hand and superheros in general are still on kids t-shirts, underwear, lunch boxes, cartoons, movies, video games, etc. Comics aren't as big with the kids in general, but kids do know who Spidey, Hulk, Batman, Supes, & Captain America are.

There is also nothing iconic about WD. It's a good story (and a good TV show), but it's also a fairly generic zombie series. How does it stand out visually from everything else?

I disagree about it being generic.

As a long time fan of zombie movies & comics as well as a horror in general, WD is a huge cut above the rest of the crop.

Most zombie stuff is immediately viewed as "B" movies, or "B" movies with an "A" budget. The WD series has not only been a hit in popularity but Season 1 was nominated for Best Drama on TV. That's amazing for a zombie horror TV show.

And the comic is even better than the TV show in my opinion. 2c