• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House of Secrets #92 9.6 signed by Wrightson and Wein

65 posts in this topic

It looks off but what seems to be a bit more odd is the 'heart' that appears in the 'Bone' part of the signature... er... waitaminute.

That does say 'Bone', right?!

Wrightson's signature flows, that one is clearly shaky. You have to figure though if you don't have to spend the time and money to go to a con to get him to actually sign it your profit margin goes up once you scam somebody with it.

Yep, that's Ryan Elliott's book. I could of sworn this was previously offered as a stand alone Len Wein sig a while back.

:facepalm:

EDIT: Yeah, supposedly sold back in April on Elliott's old vondoom account:

Buyer: Member id keekad Apr-20-11 16:24

House of Secrets #92 PGX 9.6 Signature Edition Len Wein (#250799724992) US $2,036.22

He also has a Defenders 1 PGX 9.6 currently listed that was also supposedly sold under his vondoom account.

:facepalm::facepalm:

That account was loaded with slabbed books at one point, including quite a bit of Silver and Gold seasoning, with a heavy sprinkling of Copper to spice up the sauce. Add the right labels and presto - instant spicy PGX meatballs for all to enjoy.

:P

It would be great if someone bought that book and took it to a con and asked Bernie if that was his signature or not. hm

Most encapsulation scams rely on gray area techniques... grade bumps, trimming, undisclosed resto. Nothing illegal.

Forgery isn't one of them.

Why couldn't a book like this, if it's proven to be a forgery and could link directly back to unusual PGX access by the seller, be used to prosecute?

The same laws used in forged Sports Memorabilia prosecutions should apply to something like this. Right? (shrug)

:wishluck:

Most encapsulation scams rely on gray area techniques... grade bumps, trimming, undisclosed resto. Nothing illegal.

Forgery isn't one of them.

Why couldn't a book like this, if it's proven to be a forgery and could link directly back to unusual PGX access by the seller, be used to prosecute?

The same laws used in forged Sports Memorabilia prosecutions should apply to something like this. Right? (shrug)

:wishluck:

Yup they would in this case if you could prove he did it.

Under Oregon law, if this is a forged signature, it would fall under Theft by Deception. It would also fall under Money Laundering because the proceeds of the sale would originate from a criminal act were it determined that sig is false.

I seriously doubt that any law enforcement agency here in Oregon, with the exception of the Department of Revenue, would at all be interested in exploring a case involving collectibles signature fraud.

I'm not a handwriting expert by any means, and I'd agree that the signature looks pretty sloppy in comparison with other established exemplars. I also thought that PGX noted the date and place the sig was obtained. hm

That's awful. Although if you're going to drop 2 Gs on a comic you should do at least a little research to figure out what you're buying. Unless the winning bidder has no intention of actually paying.

Oh no - someone actually sold Ryan a misgraded Dave Stevens book.

Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile 3

With a 4" crease across the back cover, it should land in a PGX case. Anyone ever play "Guess the grade" before?

:eek:

And I feel for the guy that just paid $2,000 (+) for that HoS 92. Once his feedback hits that account, I can only imagine how many people are going to email and tell him about PGX and what to look for with his book to confirm tampering.

:eek::eek:

anyone still have a picture of the back cover that he deleted. Just me, but 've never taken time to quickly delete photos after an auction. Maybe he's doing his part to save the bandwidth of the interweb.