• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT Poll - Who Will Win The UEFA Euro 2004 Football Championship?

Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the UEFA Euro 2004 tournament?

345 posts in this topic

Damn....seven people have picked England to win. For all you pommies out there I would be more than happy to talk about any wager you would like to make that England hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell. smile.gif

I agree that the outlook is grim. In fact, I think they made a movie a while back about England's chances in Euro 2004:

6301006798.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Even at the club level, he seems to come up with goals when his club needs them the most, like when he came off the bench to score Barca's first in their 2-1 victory over Real Madrid in April. For what it's worth, I've been to 2 Barca matches in the past year and he scored brilliant goals in both.

If hes so great why do Barcelona want to ditch him? For me, he's not in Owen's class at all.

If hes so great why do Barcelona want to ditch him? For me, he's not in Owen's class at all.

I don't know - why did Juve want to ditch Thierry Henry? Why did Milan want to dump Patrick Vieira? Why did Inter want to ditch Dennis Bergkamp? I don't know why, but as an Arsenal fan, I'm glad they did. Sometimes it's just a matter of playing the right role at the right club. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As for Owen, the guy scores 1 great goal at World Cup 1998 (which to me still paled in comparison to Bergkamp's magnificent winner against Argentina after fielding DeBoer's 60-yard pass) and follows that up with only 2 seasons where he hasn't been injured half the time...he's the very definition of overrated in my book. His talent for scoring goals pales in comparison to both his talent for getting himself injured and making foreign teenage girls squeal in hysterics at the sight of him. shocked.gif

Damn....seven people have picked England to win. For all you pommies out there I would be more than happy to talk about any wager you would like to make that England hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell. smile.gif

Happy to indulge you in a $100 wager via Paypal. I'll take England against any other single team you like. The team that goes furthest wins the bet. PM me if interested.

As for Owen, the guy scores 1 great goal at World Cup 1998 (which to me still paled in comparison to Bergkamp's magnificent winner against Argentina after fielding DeBoer's 60-yard pass) and follows that up with only 2 seasons where he hasn't been injured half the time...he's the very definition of overrated in my book. His talent for scoring goals pales in comparison to both his talent for getting himself injured and making foreign teenage girls squeal in hysterics at the sight of him.

I agree that Owen is injury prone and that has blighted his career over the last few seasons. He is a long way from a one-goal wonder though, and on his best form he is definately up there with the best in the world. I would rate only Henry and Van Nistleroy more highly in the English Premiership.

...And maybe Postiger. crazy.gif27_laughing.gif

I agree that Owen is injury prone and that has blighted his career over the last few seasons. He is a long way from a one-goal wonder though, and on his best form he is definately up there with the best in the world. I would rate only Henry and Van Nistleroy more highly in the English Premiership.

...And maybe Postiger. crazy.gif27_laughing.gif

Alan Shearer is a clear #3 in the Premiership after Henry and Van Nistelrooy - too bad Eriksson couldn't get him out of international retirement. I'm not sure Owen is really any better than the next batch of strikers including Saha, Anelka, Gudjohnsen, Hasselbaink and Crespo (didn't really get a chance to prove himself last season).

Alan Shearer is a clear #3 in the Premiership after Henry and Van Nistelrooy - too bad Eriksson couldn't get him out of international retirement.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Thats a good one. Shearer was long past his international sell by date even before he retired, it would be a huge backwards step for England to recall him now. Owen has an international strike rate to match just about anyone in the world, and although he has been mediocre for his club in recent seasons (partly because the players around him have been so average) he always comes good on the big stage.

My biggest frustration is that Eriksson didn't give Defoe a chance instead of either Vassel or Heskey. 893frustrated.gif

Owen is the most overrated English footballer of the last decade. His inability to win games through his own talents is the reason why Liverpool just makes up the numbers.

Have you even watched a Liverpool match in the last two seasons????

Owen is playing in a very mediocre Liverpool side and along with Steve Gerrard is about the only good thing they have going.

Their former manager Gerard Houlier has done a great job into making a once great club, famed for their passing and attacking sides, into a boring, defensive shambles.

Alan Shearer is a clear #3 in the Premiership after Henry and Van Nistelrooy - too bad Eriksson couldn't get him out of international retirement.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Thats a good one. Shearer was long past his international sell by date even before he retired, it would be a huge backwards step for England to recall him now. Owen has an international strike rate to match just about anyone in the world, and although he has been mediocre for his club in recent seasons (partly because the players round him have been so average) he always comes good on the big stage.

My biggest frustration is that Eriksson didn't give Defoe a chance instead of either Vassel or Heskey. 893frustrated.gif

I agree, Heskey should not be in the squad, Vassell, even though he is unproven on the International stage as of yet should be a good addition to the squad IMHO.

Of all of the positions on the pitch the attackers and goalkeepers for England are what let them down. I agree with others who say Shearer should have been recalled out of retirement, he is one of the most prolific strikers in England and is still going strong at his age.

Owen is the most overrated English footballer of the last decade. His inability to win games through his own talents is the reason why Liverpool just makes up the numbers.

Have you even watched a Liverpool match in the last two seasons????

Owen is playing in a very mediocre Liverpool side and along with Steve Gerrard is about the only good thing they have going.

Their former manager Gerard Houlier has done a great job into making a once great club, famed for their passing and attacking sides, into a boring, defensive shambles.

I don't think there is much hope for Liverpool becoming one of the top 3 after Houlier, he ruined a great team

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Thats a good one. Shearer was long past his international sell by date even before he retired, it would be a huge backwards step for England to recall him now. Owen has an international strike rate to match just about anyone in the world, and although he has been mediocre for his club in recent seasons (partly because the players round him have been so average) he always comes good on the big stage.

You get the prize for being the first person on this thread to actually know what they are talking about. flowerred.gif

To win a tournament like this, you need maybe 4 or 5 truly world class players and a reasonable back up in the rest of the squad.

Beckham, Scholes, Owen and Gerrard are all world class and would get in anybody elses team on merit. John Terry is also world class and I think he will probably be the player of the tournament. There are enough others like Cole, Campbell and Lampard who are good enough that England really have a good shout.

Ignore the pre-tournament form, it's meaningless. Japan are actually a very competent and well organised side, the days when the only good teams in the world were Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, France & Holland are long gone. In fact France have spent far longer in the dumps than England, prior to 1998.

An initial lack of preparation through playing together will show rustiness and will possibly flatter France in the opening game (although I fancy that to be a draw), but England will get better as the tournament wears on and I'll take $20 bets in the same line as the one I offerred Mushroom, to as many forumites as wish to contact me.