• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you rather a good sketch or a rare sketch?

Rare sketch V Good sketch  

219 members have voted

1. 1. Rare sketch V Good sketch

64 posts in this topic

Nice topic Lloyd

The rare artist is the mentor, and the up and coming artist is the disciple

An NBA champion is the mentor, the red-shirted college player is the disciple

A redshirt has more to prove. He's trying to get noticed and reach a status(if at all possible) of the NBA champion. And he's hungry

The champion has fought his battles, and proven time and time again who he is. It's an honor to watch him play

To sum it up :preach:, the mentor would like the disciple to carry on tradition. The disciple needs the mentor as an example. Both are important in their own right, the up and coming and the icons 2c long winded but true lol

Very well written!

You summed up what I really wanted to say. When I look at up and comers, I obviously look at their skill and detail in rendering an image. But if possible, I like to look at a story page from them as well to get a feel for their ability to tell a story. I figure if they can actually tell a story and do something other than just covers or pin ups, they have a future in the business. I will go to those artists again and again.

Another thing I look at is whether the artist's work speaks to me. I love what Matt Kindt does. I don't have a solid reason why because his style isn't usually what I go for, but something about it just stands out for me. I think he has a future as an indy creator and I hope me makes it in the mainstream, just so I can see more from him.

I simply like what I like. I want to get creators to draw their creation or their best known characters for me and this is what sketches allow. I can get a nice piece without completely breaking the bank. I would certainly prefer to branch out into OA, but sketches are probably where I will stay for a long time. All that said, a good sketch will come in before a rare sketch any day of the week. I would stab any of you in the neck for a Steranko sketch in a hot second, because what I have seen from him is both incredibly rare and incredibly good.

Thanks guys, I was up late thinking :)

I may be biased but I really haven't seen any sketch opps( not covers, opps) better than Harvey in terms of detail. When you guys get your books back, you'll see what I mean

Where would he fall? Or Stephen or Mico? They might not be legend status but they certainly draw like it

Am I getting a sketch from an artist because I

appreciate what he did in his prime, or an artist scoring 40, on the pine playing primetime in 2012? The question of life...

Good analogy, but have we seen any of the opps out of hundreds become the next anything? And I pose that as a question that I am truly looking for an example, actually a few examples. Sketch covers have been around how many years now?

I am a noob here so hundreds sounds like a lot more than I have ever seen. I am sure sketch opps were around long before I.

The problem with your questions is that the question itself is inherently flawed. You are asking for something that can not possibly be shown. No matter how long sketches, opps, CGC has been around it is barely long enough time all told to build up a 'legend status' for any artists. Work that is considered 'Legendary' is just that. Something (most) of us were not around to see ourselves. A career in art takes 20 + years more times than not to get to a level where one is considered 'a legend'. So really, if you ask this question 20 years from now your answer may already be apparent.

I will say, and you can quote me on it. :D I will have a couple of my artists doing Marvel work (in comics, not cards all of my artists do Marvel and DC card sets, officially licensed and working with Marvel / DC editors). My personal mission is for Babsiu to be drawing any Spider-Man book before the end of the year (unfortunately it might be a short appearance as his military commitments are gonna take him away from us for a year)

The problem with your questions is that the question itself is inherently flawed.

No, it is not. Sketch fever has caught on big time, and while it is a fledgling area of art collecting (and please don't turn this into an "is it OA or isn't it OA" discussion), the question of whether and how the sketches will hold their value is not inherently flawed.

If you got into this game early enough, chances are you scored some big time early values. My first Stuart Saygar sketch cost me $25. My first Bob Layton $50. My first Doug Mahnke $75. There is no doubt that was money well spent.

We have all seen opps on this Board with hefty price tags for unknown artists. The question of whether those hefty price tags will hold up is a valid one. Some people don't care. They just want the art. That is awesome. Some people have no intention of ever selling anything. That is also awesome. But when life gets in the way, and they try to move some of these sketch covers for a little profit on top of the 200-300 price tags that they are into the sketch, what then?

I have no answers, but stating that the question is flawed is planting your head firmly in the sand.

Sean, his question was whether a 'new' artist who had been offered on the boards (what I see as a very short time, even if we go back to the origins) has got to a 'rare' or 'legendary' status. This I posit can not be done in this short amount of time which is why I made the statement quoted above.

Good over rare any day of the week.

I know what I like and when I go after a sketch I look for an artist that can draw what I like. If it is an unknown artist or a well known artist. I have a few artists that I follow and just collect their work because it is their work. But other than that I just collect what I like. I mean my Alien sketch cover is done by a tattoo artist that was at a con but I saw some of his aliens and wanted one. He even did it in ball point pen! It is just as awesome as my Linsner covers to me. I have no intention of selling any of my sketches so they are just for me so the value of having some big time artist do them or a little guy makes me no difference.

I have a sketch cover by a TATTOO artist aswell. His name is Paul Booth. The sketch is amazing and quite rare. Mr. booth charges $500.00 an hour to tattoo and is one of the finest and most amazing Tattoo artist in the world. He own last rites studio, has worked for affliction, and has been published in many tattoo magazines. He has a waiting list of over a year long. I seeked him out at a convention politely explained to him that I was a fan of his work. I bought some products from him and politely asked for a sketch on a marvel Sketch cover. He accepted my request and used all the pencils and inks and some of the colors I provided. I own a sketch from one the most famous TATTOO artist in the world.

It doesn't matter Tattoo artist or regular artist. RARE is RARE and GOOD is GOOD. But everybody should challenge themselves to get a sketch or commission that is both good and rare. Don't settle for either. Only accept both together.

Sean, his question was whether a 'new' artist who had been offered on the boards (what I see as a very short time, even if we go back to the origins) has got to a 'rare' or 'legendary' status. This I posit can not be done in this short amount of time which is why I made the statement quoted above.

Who asked that question? Because it wasn't Jon. He asked who from the Board opps "had become the next anything." It is right in the post that you quoted That, to me, means: Has anyone that was an "unknown" landed a regular job on a non-self published comic? Has anyone that was an "unknown" become a creator that is known to the average comic fan?

Make no bones about it. I love Board opps. Especially guys that are impossible to get at cons. But the concept of the cost of some unknown creators being the same or more than Board opps for Barry Kitson, Doug Mahnke or even Anthony Castrillo is worth talking about.

Well then I guess I was assuming he meant 'had become anything' as 'rare' in the context that it had been discussed in the previous posts in this thread.

That was how I took it and looking again, that's how it was presented.

In the end if some people have the foresight to get the right up and comers that actually translate to big time then all power to that. If someone got Olivier Coipel 8 years ago or McNiven before they blew up then thats a real skill

Good analogy, but have we seen any of the opps out of hundreds become the next anything? And I pose that as a question that I am truly looking for an example, actually a few examples. Sketch covers have been around how many years now?

I don't think we've had hundreds of opps, but we've had quite a few. As yet none of the artists have really blown up, but it's a slow steady climb. That's why I keep buying what I like and passing on what I don't.

(shrug)

Well then I guess I was assuming he meant 'had become anything' as 'rare' in the context that it had been discussed in the previous posts in this thread.

That was how I took it and looking again, that's how it was presented.

In the end if some people have the foresight to get the right up and comers that actually translate to big time then all power to that. If someone got Olivier Coipel 8 years ago or McNiven before they blew up then thats a real skill

I don't think we've had hundreds of opps, but we've had quite a few. As yet none of the artists have really blown up, but it's a slow steady climb. That's why I keep buying what I like and passing on what I don't.

(shrug)

Wrong. Not how it was presented.

I will step out of this thread now. Once people (or 2 meh) start bending my words to make their own ideas seem correct, then I have lost faith in the process of debate.

The future is up to everyone on these boards. Continue offering subpar artists for A level money and you won't be around long nor will the people paying for sketch covers. You all have a responsibility to keep this thing going and right now I am severly disappointed in what I see.

To all that have offered me in on their opps in the past, thank you. For those that are friends in this thread like Mike and Adonis (just off the top of my head) thank you for interesting dialogue.

Still waiting on that breakout artist. I'll check back in a year...trust me on that. I will be like Sabretooth on Wolverine's birthday (and if you don't get that, you should read more comics...)

JJ

I will step out of this thread now. Once people (or 2 meh) start bending my words to make their own ideas seem correct, then I have lost faith in the process of debate.

The future is up to everyone on these boards. Continue offering subpar artists for A level money and you won't be around long nor will the people paying for sketch covers. You all have a responsibility to keep this thing going and right now I am severly disappointed in what I see.

To all that have offered me in on their opps in the past, thank you. For those that are friends in this thread like Mike and Adonis (just off the top of my head) thank you for interesting dialogue.

Still waiting on that breakout artist. I'll check back in a year...trust me on that. I will be like Sabretooth on Wolverine's birthday (and if you don't get that, you should read more comics...)

JJ

You have save me from wasting some money on sketch ops already.

Artists need to get paid. May it be for their service or quality of work. They need to get paid no matter what. Yah so the cost of a sketch depends on their fame or how bad the work was. They still need to get paid. Work is work. Sketching is work. They all went through a phase of doing mess for free, for the love of the art, blah blah blah. Then they'll realize, "I need to get paid for this mess." Then they charge small, then increase in time. After a couple of Marvel/DC cover, or make a name in the unsigned artist ranks or in the boards, they bump up their price. After hiring a rep/manager, he was convinced he cost this much. After being in the bizz for 5-10 years, he has a minimum of how much he should get paid.

Sketch ops are out there for people to decide if they should get on board or not. It's not like fascilitators are forcing you to buy a spot. If you're interested, then join in. If you think the price is right, then come on board. If not, then no big deal, understood and someone (or no one) will take that spot. Outside of the comic bizz, I've seen "art" bought for ridiculous amount coz its made by this and that and some better looking art sold less coz its made by a no-name. We all have our own opinions on what we think is cool, so don't bash on how much people are willing to pay on something you might have a different opinion about. Somebody's trash is another's art. I mean, the Mona Lisa is the most famous painting of all time. It prolly coz a gazillion dollars. But you know what? I don't want it hanging on my wall. Da Vinci is a cool guy and all but his style is not my thing at all.

I've said it before. Printed materials will become obsolete soon. It's an inescapable route we all have to take. Comics will be gone! The only thing that will remain are the slabbed items. But comics not being printed doesn't mean artists will stop drawing. Sketches will remain in business. As long as blanks keep getting printed, artists keep drawing, and CGC keeps slabbing, then the sketch bizz will be ok.

It is hard to argue with the "buy what you like" and everything will work out fine line of argument. I feel that way myself personally. But I have had many unsolicited PMs asking me questions about sketches in the last couple months, more than in the last five years combined. Mostly from folks trying to navigate the complicated waters of Board opps, facilitator convention sketches and other Con sketch opportunities. And like it or not, many people have a budget and are concerned with potential resale value.

Anyone can poo-poo these issues by saying that they don't apply to them. Well, they do apply to some people, and for the health of the industry and the sketch community, it is important to have a venue for discussion.