• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your least favorite Neal Adams cover?

48 posts in this topic

Batman 227. Never saw the reason for all the excitement. (shrug)

:facepalm:

Sorry, I just always found it boring. :( Isn't it taken from another cover?

the Robin cameo art is distracting, and the whole concept of some chick in taffeta running away from a guy in a purple, caped suit and his brace of wolves is stupid.

Thats somethng I never saw before, or even imagined. Odd, almost jarring to my eyes, and brain. Maybe because I have never seen it any other way, and have seen it 100's, if not maybe over a 1,000 times in its printed form. I have to look it at for a while, let it sink in. Just looks like it is almost naked, incomplete, barren. Glad you posted it though. A different perspective.

I'm the same way, Joe. It's a great cover......just not classic. I'd take a 'tec 400, 402, or 405 anyday. Batman 244 or 251 totally blow 227 right off the map. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Bah. :)

IMHO, the Batman 227 cover is way better than any of those. You have the awesome windswept mansion surrounded by fog on a night with the full moon out. You have a lovely damsel in distress being hounded, literally, by the maleficient villian with his blood thirsty hounds. Why is he chasing her? What did she do? Most importantly what will he do when he catches her? Will Batman arrive in time to save her? You have the huge transluscent image of batman superimposed over the scene. What's not to love?

The rest, while still awesome, just don't appeal to me in the way that 227 does. In Detective 402, we have ManBat coming for batman on a moonlit night. Sure great cover, but just not as interesting to me as 227 (and I just overpaid for the horrible Rocky Mountain copy). Detective 400, same theme; however, it is nicely depicted with the two combatants superimposed over Gotham city (I suppose). Batman 241, in comparison, meh, boring. Batman 244, great cover depicting the life and death struggle betwen Batman and Ra's al Ghul. Awesome, but still a rung below 227.

Anyway, I guess ultimately this is all just opinion and different elements appeal to different folks. I really like the gothic Batman covers; others may not. Honestly, I think there's something to love for everyone in Neal Adam's Batman/Detective art run.

(thumbs u

the Robin cameo art is distracting, and the whole concept of some chick in taffeta running away from a guy in a purple, caped suit and his brace of wolves is stupid.

Thats somethng I never saw before, or even imagined. Odd, almost jarring to my eyes, and brain. Maybe because I have never seen it any other way, and have seen it 100's, if not maybe over a 1,000 times in its printed form. I have to look it at for a while, let it sink in. Just looks like it is almost naked, incomplete, barren. Glad you posted it though. A different perspective.

I'm the same way, Joe. It's a great cover......just not classic. I'd take a 'tec 400, 402, or 405 anyday. Batman 244 or 251 totally blow 227 right off the map. GOD BLESS....

IMHO, the Batman 227 cover is way better than any of those. You have the awesome windswept mansion surrounded by fog on a night with the full moon out. You have a lovely damsel in distress being hounded, literally, by the maleficient villian with his blood thirsty hounds. Why is he chasing her? What did she do? Most importantly what will he do when he catches her? Will Batman arrive in time to save her? You have the huge transluscent image of batman superimposed over the scene. What's not to love?

The rest, while still awesome, just don't appeal to me in the way that 227 does. In Detective 402, we have ManBat coming for batman on a moonlit night. Sure great cover, but just not as interesting to me as 227 (and I just overpaid for the horrible Rocky Mountain copy). Detective 400, same theme; however, it is nicely depicted with the two combatants superimposed over Gotham city (I suppose). Batman 241, in comparison, meh, boring. Batman 244, great cover depicting the life and death struggle betwen Batman and Ra's al Ghul. Awesome, but still a rung below 227.

Anyway, I guess ultimately this is all just opinion and different elements appeal to different folks. I really like the gothic Batman covers; others may not. Honestly, I think there's something to love for everyone in Neal Adam's Batman/Detective art run.

(thumbs u

....you can say that again. I've been an Adams fan since almost the beginning and would have to say that his influence on the Bronze Age is absolutely second to none.....due mainly , in my opinion to his virtuousity in literally every genre imaginable. 227 is a great cover and obviously the market agrees. GOD BLESS...

P.S. As a kid in the 60's I actually passed on his X-men books....they seemed weird....too real looking......by the time he hit Batman and GL/GA I had certainly changed my mind.

(thumbs u

....you can say that again. I've been an Adams fan since almost the beginning and would have to say that his influence on the Bronze Age is absolutely second to none.....due mainly , in my opinion to his virtuousity in literally every genre imaginable. 227 is a great cover and obviously the market agrees. GOD BLESS...

P.S. As a kid in the 60's I actually passed on his X-men books....they seemed weird....too real looking......by the time he hit Batman and GL/GA I had certainly changed my mind.

Lucky you to have been around when those books were on the shelves. I came into the hobby in the late seventies and early eighties and continued through the 90's. Now that I'm older I find the older material to be much more compelling.

Those Neal Adam's X-Men issues are certainly on my pick up list. Specifically 62, 63, 57 and 59 along with Steranko's 49 cover (which I can now strike off my list). While X-Men 1, GS#1 or some of the others are much more important I just like the Adam's issues. Some of the earlier stuff, not so much.

(shrug)

(thumbs u

Lucky you to have been around when those books were on the shelves. I came into the hobby in the late seventies and early eighties and continued through the 90's. Now that I'm older I find the older material to be much more compelling.

Those Neal Adam's X-Men issues are certainly on my pick up list. Specifically 62, 63, 57 and 59 along with Steranko's 49 cover (which I can now strike off my list). While X-Men 1, GS#1 or some of the others are much more important I just like the Adam's issues. Some of the earlier stuff, not so much.

(shrug)

Every one of the Adams X-men are classic.....I'd like to see them in a deluxe hardcover volume. They are very underrated in my opinion.....Roy was such a dedicated writer. I like the Sauron arc a lot......but 59 has to be the ultimate of the run to me....with the Sentinels heading off to the heart of the Sun....that was sheer genius. When GL/GA came out, I had friends who didn't even read comics buying those at the 7-11. We were in the 9th grade I think and all those issues/topics were starting to catch our attention as we were leaving childhood behind. GOD BLESS...

I really wish that Neal had either been able to stick around at Marvel awhile...or draw faster. It would have been great to see more Adams / Thomas material. I totally LOVE Conan37.....shame there weren't several more. The GL/GA stuff could have worked well in Captain America also. GOD BLESS....

If I recall correctly, I read someplace that he was making more money doing commercial artwork so comics fell by the wayside. He wisely chose to chase the money. (thumbs u

If I recall correctly, I read someplace that he was making more money doing commercial artwork so comics fell by the wayside. He wisely chose to chase the money. (thumbs u

Yeah, raising 3 kids in NY City ain't cheap. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend fo jesus) (thumbs u