• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do...

159 posts in this topic

Is this guy a customer or just a walk-in ? Does he regularly buy higher end books ?

He's a newer customer (moved to Houston a few months ago). He buys new comics every week, but has never bought a higher priced comic from me. And he is very upfront about the fact that he only buys investment grade books if he can get a deal.

Just a reminder because I like you: we're on the internet, and he has internet. Regardless of what happens with this book, you don't want to chase away someone willing to spend 4K on a comic. Just saying. (shrug)

I don't think he'll have a hard time finding someone willing to buy a $7k book for $4k. In fact he'd probably have people lined up.

Is this guy a customer or just a walk-in ? Does he regularly buy higher end books ?

He's a newer customer (moved to Houston a few months ago). He buys new comics every week, but has never bought a higher priced comic from me. And he is very upfront about the fact that he only buys investment grade books if he can get a deal.

Just a reminder because I like you: we're on the internet, and he has internet. Regardless of what happens with this book, you don't want to chase away someone willing to spend 4K on a comic. Just saying. (shrug)

There are lots of guys who will spend 4K on a 7K book. Just sayin

If it were me, I would sell the book at your original sticker of $5250.

It wasn't a 7K book when he offered $4200.v :makepoint:

Just to be devil's advocate, the last 2010 sale on this book was ~$4200, 2006 was ~$4000. The pedigrees sold in 2011 went for $4400 and $4500. Looking just at the numbers and being a collector, I personally don't think the buyer's pre-clink final price was that far out of line. If he was a collector, the low ball might have been an initial bid to bring down the price to documented price levels and not set any documented records. I really don't see that as being any worse than asking 1k over the last documented sale.

Of course you guys have a point and now post Clink there are at least 2 people out there that are willing pay more. If it was me, I'd accept the new market realities, I'd wish you the best of luck selling the book and I'd walk. No reason to pay more than your comfortable paying on a book and 4k large is a big number for those of us who don't do this for a living.

That's just my 2 cents as a collector. I'm sure the rest of you have a different perspective since you're livelihood may depend on this stuff. And if this guy was another flipper, well, I don't disagree with anything you've said.

Agreed. I even pointed him here to get a better understanding of the high grade silver age market. I'm not pointing out anything that anyone has done wrong. I'm just trying to get feedback on a legit dilemma. I don't really want to sell the book at $5250 now, much less $4700. But I do have to consider the fact that I have a relationship with a retail customer who is interested in bigger ticket items. But that customer is approaching those items from the viewpoint of a stockbroker or commodities buyer and not a collector. But he is still interested. And he has money to spend. From that standpoint I need to figure out the best way to express to him my standpoint, while showing that I understand his, and thus deal with the situation in a respectful manner.

Or I could just do the belly laugh.

I don't he'll have a hard time finding someone willing to buy a $7k book for $4k. In fact he'd probably have people lined up.

It wasn't a 7K book when he offered $4200. :makepoint:

My point is, he could end up being a great customer. His business likely outweighs the utility Bedrock will get out of the advice in this thread. This ain't exactly Sophie's choice.

Agreed. I even pointed him here to get a better understanding of the high grade silver age market. I'm not pointing out anything that anyone has done wrong. I'm just trying to get feedback on a legit dilemma. I don't really want to sell the book at $5250 now, much less $4700. But I do have to consider the fact that I have a relationship with a retail customer who is interested in bigger ticket items. But that customer is approaching those items from the viewpoint of a stockbroker or commodities buyer and not a collector. But he is still interested. And he has money to spend. From that standpoint I need to figure out the best way to express to him my standpoint, while showing that I understand his, and thus deal with the situation in a respectful manner.

\

(thumbs u

Nothing bad was said here.

Just to be devil's advocate, the last 2010 sale on this book was ~$4200, 2006 was ~$4000. The pedigrees sold in 2011 went for $4400 and $4500. Looking just at the numbers and being a collector, I personally don't think the buyer's pre-clink final price was that far out of line. If he was a collector, the low ball might have been an initial bid to bring down the price to documented price levels and not set any documented records. I really don't see that as being any worse than asking 1k over the last documented sale.

Of course you guys have a point and now post Clink there are at least 2 people out there that are willing pay more. If it was me, I'd accept the new market realities, I'd wish you the best of luck selling the book and I'd walk. No reason to pay more than your comfortable paying on a book and 4k large is a big number for those of us who don't do this for a living.

That's just my 2 cents as a collector. I'm sure the rest of you have a different perspective since you're livelihood may depend on this stuff. And if this guy was another flipper, well, I don't disagree with anything you've said.

There was also a sale last year for $6000. And now this sale for $7077.

I don't he'll have a hard time finding someone willing to buy a $7k book for $4k. In fact he'd probably have people lined up.

My point is, he could end up being a great customer. His business likely outweighs the utility Bedrock will get out of the advice in this thread. This ain't exactly Sophie's choice.

Right. It was a $5500 book.

+1

Umm...since the book is still available.....why not offer it up on the Boards at whatever price you feel is fair, and if it sells, your dilemma has been resolved. He passed on the book, it sold to someone else....case closed and crisis averted.

Right. It was a $5500 book.

Which Richard was willing to sell for $4700, which means there was only a $500 distance. Who's to say they wouldn't see eye to eye on the next big ticket book?

There was also a sale last year for $6000. And now this sale for $7077.

I don't see that documented on GPA. And the 6000 is still higher than the pedigrees that likely went to auction, seems like an outlier to me. Might make sense to average those prices together, not everyone is willing to spend absolute top dollar.

Just to clarify...I'm in the business of selling comics. Bedrock City has a web-site. I like ComicLink but the reality is that Comic Link is a competitor. I won't be listing it on ComicLink as I would prefer to sell it through my site. I know most of you look at C-Link regularly. Please add www.bedrockcity.com to your viewing list if you get a chance.

Added!

There is one thing no one has mentioned. Precedent.

Does it set a precedent if you get a steep discount on the first big dollar book that you purchase? Would you come to expect a steep discount on all books you purchase? If so, what good does the good will garnered from selling the book at a steep discount achieve? Would you rather have a guy who spends thousands a few times but beats you up so severely on the prices that you make very little percentage wise, or would you rather have a guy who spends thousands over a long period and rarely negotiates?

I even pointed him here to get a better understanding of the high grade silver age market. I'm not pointing out anything that anyone has done wrong. I'm just trying to get feedback on a legit dilemma. I don't really want to sell the book at $5250 now, much less $4700. But I do have to consider the fact that I have a relationship with a retail customer who is interested in bigger ticket items. But that customer is approaching those items from the viewpoint of a stockbroker or commodities buyer and not a collector. But he is still interested. And he has money to spend. From that standpoint I need to figure out the best way to express to him my standpoint, while showing that I understand his, and thus deal with the situation in a respectful manner.

Go ahead and explain this to him. It's not unreasonable for you to indicate that the market value has shifted on the book.

If he was quoting CL figures while negotiating, it's certainly fair for you to do the same.

Does it set a precedent if you get a steep discount on the first big dollar book that you purchase? Would you come to expect a steep discount on all books you purchase? If so, what good does the good will garnered from selling the book at a steep discount achieve? Would you rather have a guy who spends thousands a few times but beats you up so severely on the prices that you make very little percentage wise, or would you rather have a guy who spends thousands over a long period and rarely negotiates?

Obviously, no one is going to say they prefer the first kind of customer. But it would take at least a few transactions to really get an accurate read on someone.

Does it set a precedent if you get a steep discount on the first big dollar book that you purchase?

Yep!

And that precedent has pervaded the whole industry.

It seems the norm at shows now is to overprice so as to allow room for the inevitable discount.