• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do...

159 posts in this topic

I'll tell you what else doesn't work - "Tim lets me rub the high grade GA Detectives all over myself." I was shocked, but they just wouldn't allow it!

PS -- DCs aren't a bad choice. But I recommend Dells... smooth, silky, luxuriant. Avoid Fox publications... cheap paper which chafes.

Obviously you are in no way obligated by the previous negotiation, if there was no agreement.

For the future negotiation, I would base my price to him on his approach:

If he comes in and says "Here is your $4700!" and attempts to gloss over the recent CL auction result, then my new price to him would start at full FMV.

If he is straightforward and acknowledges the new data point, and would like to resume negotiations with this in mind, I would be far more willing to discount off of FMV, as this is the type of business relationship I would want to maintain.

Just to clarify...I'm in the business of selling comics. Bedrock City has a web-site. I like ComicLink but the reality is that Comic Link is a competitor. I won't be listing it on ComicLink as I would prefer to sell it through my site. I know most of you look at C-Link regularly. Please add www.bedrockcity.com to your viewing list if you get a chance.

Done!

If he was a real nice guy and appreciated the deal you're giving him, I'd honor the origin offer. I don't get that impression so I'd reprice it and simply say its the current market rate. Sorry. You snooze, you lose.

I have had a 9.6 ow/w X-Men #9 for about six weeks. I priced it at $5250, which admittedly is a little higher than GPA. But the book is a knockout and I figured there would be some negotiating room. About three weeks ago a guy came into the store and offered $3600 for it. He reasoned that the last sale that he was tracking was a copy that sold on C-Link a few months ago for that amount. He is not a GPA subscriber. I showed him all of the GPA info and said the best I'd do is $4700, which is around the GPA average. He passed. Two weeks ago he came back and offered $4200. He said there was a copy on eBay with a fixed price of $4750, plus there was a copy in the most recent C-Link auction that he was following. So $4200 was his most generous offer. I again said $4700 was the best I could do. He declined but said that he would probably come back by after the auction. We left it at that. There was no mention of whether either of our offers would be accepted after the auction. Well auction time comes around on Thursday and the C-Link copy sells for $7077. A really big price.

So what would you do?

I would recommend he buy the one at a fixed price on eBay for $4750.

Just to clarify...I'm in the business of selling comics. Bedrock City has a web-site. I like ComicLink but the reality is that Comic Link is a competitor. I won't be listing it on ComicLink as I would prefer to sell it through my site. I know most of you look at C-Link regularly. Please add www.bedrockcity.com to your viewing list if you get a chance.

Done!

Ditto!

I have had a 9.6 ow/w X-Men #9 for about six weeks. I priced it at $5250, which admittedly is a little higher than GPA. But the book is a knockout and I figured there would be some negotiating room. About three weeks ago a guy came into the store and offered $3600 for it. He reasoned that the last sale that he was tracking was a copy that sold on C-Link a few months ago for that amount. He is not a GPA subscriber. I showed him all of the GPA info and said the best I'd do is $4700, which is around the GPA average. He passed. Two weeks ago he came back and offered $4200. He said there was a copy on eBay with a fixed price of $4750, plus there was a copy in the most recent C-Link auction that he was following. So $4200 was his most generous offer. I again said $4700 was the best I could do. He declined but said that he would probably come back by after the auction. We left it at that. There was no mention of whether either of our offers would be accepted after the auction. Well auction time comes around on Thursday and the C-Link copy sells for $7077. A really big price.

So what would you do?

I would agree but it sold to a New Yorker privately.

:banana:

Although I did get several low offers in the sub $4000 range from a Houston eBayer last week.

hm

I only see a 9.4 fixed price on Ebay. hm

Look again.

:devil:

(shrug)

At the post just below yours when you commented about the eBay search....never mind.

:tonofbricks:

Look again.

(shrug)

At the post just below yours when you commented about the eBay search....never mind.

Well, the good news is that you got me to go run the Ebay search again. :D

So what would you do?

I would agree but it sold to a New Yorker privately.

:banana:

Although I did get several low offers in the sub $4000 range from a Houston eBayer last week.

hm

He actually mentioned that book a few times.

Look again.

(shrug)

Well, the good news is that you got me to go run the Ebay search again. :D

123676.jpg.883a6b70fdc4333a6b863e06918efac4.jpg

He actually mentioned that book a few times.

Sounds like he's not new to the game and probably had an opportunity to have a great book at a good price.

You snooze, you lose.

(shrug)

as someone else said, you last asking price on the book was good until he walked out the door unless you specifically promised him the book at that price at a later date. up the sticker price and negotiate a good deal. (thumbs u

He declined but said that he would probably come back by after the auction. We left it at that. There was no mention of whether either of our offers would be accepted after the auction. Well auction time comes around on Thursday and the C-Link copy sells for $7077. A really big price.

So what would you do?

Richard, he said he'd see you after the auction. In my mind that would imply that he felt the clink hammer would or should have some bearing on your possible deal. Oh well, that didn't pan out for him. I'd price it at whatever you like, maybe offer it to him for $6000. I don't know how you could let it go for less than that. The guy isn't a top customer of yours. He was kicking tires and trying to get a deal, which is totally fine for him to do. Unfortunately for him the market says the book is wotrth considerably more. If it were me, I would probably price it over 6k and offer him 6 considering all the info you've given. If he throws a fit and/or seems totally unwilling to accept that this is life, then I wouldn't be terribly concerned about having him as a customer. If he approached buying this like one would a commodity, and if he's a decent bloke, then he ought to understand. Maybe the situation is different with a different buyer. But given the variables I wouldnt do 4700 for him.

I think you should have left it up on your site. That way, if

someone else buys at at your price, the "book is sold; end

of story."

Assuming the book has not sold when he comes in, I might

have it repriced at the average of your original price and the C-link

value (use rounding). Then, if he wants to get it at the $4700,

offer to split the difference. That way you both benefit from the

upturn in prices.

If he was a good long term customer, you would be doing him a

big favor by accepting the $4700 offer. However, if he was that

good a customer he should up it to, say $5000, so you also gain

a bit. Doing that would, with many dealers, prove helpful to

the buyer down the line.

I may be overly concerned with "the dealer needs to make a profit"

but it seems to work for me (most of the time).

In the future if someone brings up a coming auction, you (and all

dealers in that situation) need to say "If the auction goes extra high,

the asking price of this book could go up; if the auction price goes

way low, I may have to take the book off the market until conditions

improve." That way the potential buyer is warned and the dealer

is protected regardless of the auction results.

Let us know how it all turns out (realizing he could be reading all

of these posts).

Best of luck.