• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Dolt of the day

107 posts in this topic

I find it strange that people running business', respond to potential customers in such manner.

I have never owned a business, but I always thought that you don't burn bridges with customers. They may be total azz's, but they talk to others that may not be, and responses such as those above are just not good business sense.

But if it does your heart good and you don't mind the occasional bad mouthing (word of mouth), then run your business your way.

I would just politely say "no", or not even respond. A "kill yourself" or "fist yourself" response is just not good business sense. Why do it? Self satisfaction?

If you were selling a $2,000.00 book here and I sent you a PM with a lowball offer of $1,200.00, would you tell me to go fist myself? Or just say "no, but I can go down to $1,850.00".

I'm curious as to your answer.

This hobby is all about trying to get the best deal you can, and some will difinitely insult you with their methods of "bargaining or bartering". But still.... business models are pretty standard that you don't insult. You just stand firm or negotiate.

Would Coca Cola, McDonalds or even CGC, EVER respond to a citizen with "kill yourself" or "fist yourself"? For any reason?

I would not think so.

I 100% agree with this statement. If this was a regular 9-5 job, responding in such a fashion would probably be grounds for dismissal. And even in other situations, I would probably not respond in such a way. While I don't have a large business and we're certainly no Donald Trump, my wife and I do own a couple of rental properties. One of our tenants is constantly late with the rent. Even though she is consistently late, we approach her calmly and ask if she realizes she is 2 or 3 weeks late with the rent. If that does not work we'd simply follow the state laws for having her evicted. We'd probably be out 1 or 2k but we certainly would never consider responding to the tenant in a less than cordial, calm fashion. No matter how annoyed we are at the tenant, I can't see myself saying pay the rent or I'm going to f'ng kill you. Or something in that vein.

I don't think it ever hurts to be cordial and maybe the guy doesn't have a clear picture of what the actual prices are. In that case, you could calmly mentor him on what the prices should be. If the guy is clearly abusive than just don't deal with him or report him to eBay. These type of responses certainly aren't attractive and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a silent group of folks on the board that are put off by extreme responses.

I find it strange that people running business', respond to potential customers in such manner.

I have never owned a business, but I always thought that you don't burn bridges with customers. They may be total azz's, but they talk to others that may not be, and responses such as those above are just not good business sense.

But if it does your heart good and you don't mind the occasional bad mouthing (word of mouth), then run your business your way.

I would just politely say "no", or not even respond. A "kill yourself" or "fist yourself" response is just not good business sense. Why do it? Self satisfaction?

If you were selling a $2,000.00 book here and I sent you a PM with a lowball offer of $1,200.00, would you tell me to go fist myself? Or just say "no, but I can go down to $1,850.00".

This hobby is all about trying to get the best deal you can, and some will difinitely insult you with their methods of "bargaining or bartering". But still.... business models are pretty standard that you don't insult. You just stand firm or negotiate.

Would Coca Cola, McDonalds or even CGC, EVER respond to a citizen with "kill yourself" or "fist yourself"? For any reason?

I would not think so.

Right on! (thumbs u

So why is it worth big bucks because PGX screwed up the label? It's not rare... it's just stupid.

EPIC FAIL MEANS BIG BUCKS!

:facepalm:

I have a Swamp Thing 21 mislabeled by CGC as a Swamp Thing 20. I'm currently entertaining 5 figure offers on it for those interested.

I would not think so.

"Savage Comics"????

Telling someone to kill themselves over a stupid question is extreme and quite unnecessary.

I don't agree with those tactics and feel the dolt in this scenario was the seller.

That may have been a little harsh. hm

The guy asking the question didn't include a single question mark in the entire email.

That alone is firing squad/forced sterilization worthy right there.

I answer hundreds of e-mails/messages a week. Often times answering questions for people who aren't going to buy anything. It's cool. I enjoy sharing knowledge with people when i have it. What i don't enjoy doing is feeding trolls. That's what this guy was doing. He was just sending multiple messages with borderline insulting comments about pricing and accusing me of ripping people off for selling books above cover price. The first three messages, i responded with courtesy and attempted to explain my reasoning. Then after i fed the troll a couple of times he sent the message at the top of the thread. I responded the way i did. Childish? Maybe a little. I can do without the "business" of a 0 feedback bidder who sends messages to multiple dealers just to talk trash.

I have never owned a business, but I always thought that you don't burn bridges with customers.

I totally agree, never burn a bridge with a customer.

However, this guy's not a customer, he's a heckler.

There's a difference.

I would not think so.

because someone who harasses you with idiotic and inane questions and demands like this is not, in fact, a "potential customer" any more than the homeless guy urinating on my lawn is.

I had someone sending me repeated offers on a GA slab that were at about 30% of guide and I kept on telling him nicely, "that ain't happening", etc...pointed out what a more realistic price might be, etc. He kept on pointing out it had writing on the cover and was worthless (which is why he wanted it oh so much, right), I pointed out that's why CGC gave it the grade it did, etc. He kept on at it and started flirting with me in a really bizarre way (because he thought I was my wife, who runs our ebay account). She then chimes in with a pleasant "how flattering, but I'm married" and gives a physical description of me, that I'm the jealous type, etc. all in fun and then the guy turns around and calls me a gorilla, etc....ultimately I advised him that he had his fun and now it's time to go away, which he did. had he come back for more I probably would have been of the "time for you to die" mindset. (p.s. the book sold to a boardie here for a much fairer % of guide, though the boardie still got a good deal (and I think i might have lost money).

some "customers" are more trouble than they're worth.

I would not think so.

I 100% agree with this statement. If this was a regular 9-5 job, responding in such a fashion would probably be grounds for dismissal.

But what if you were a seller and a guy started a thread on a message board saying you were a predatory seller? (shrug)

lol

Hell yeah,

This same person_too_unaware_of_social_graces sent me some messages about the 9.6 #1 Walking Dead that I have up for a BIN that is about 30% higher than the last one that ended, but it also has an or best offer.

He messages me twice with why so high and then why so expensive that is like a $100 book.

He then made an offer of like $300 and I responded even ruder than you did telling him that you are about $600 short of what the last one went for, and that my BIN is closer to reality than your lowball offer so please go and F yourself and you are blocked from bidding on my future auctions.

I wonder how much time he has spent sending out these messages. Maybe it's just a joke on his part brought on by boredom. I tried to direct him to completed auctions to see what some books were going for, but he completely ignored that.

Thanks!

Here's yet another fine example of the wonderful questions i get on a daily basis.

This guy is my favorite today. Copy/pasted for your viewing pleasure:

Dear savagecomics,

Why the hell would this book be 20 it was being sold for 6 at image expo 3 weeks ago.oh and how many have you sold im sure none. What told you it was 20 bucks!

- isaiahc1

(!) The Walking Dead #49 1st print NM low print

Item Id: 140689651242

End time: Mar-26-12 13:33:59 PDT

Buyer:

isaiahc1 (0)

0.0% Positive Feedback

Member since Mar-04-12 in United States

My response:

Thank you sir for your interest in this book. Kill yourself.

Sincerely, SavageComics

That guys a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. First of all I think your prices are fair and even something I paid more buying it from you, like the 3 Mechanika's I just picked up turned out to be a better deal than if I bought it from someone else. They look to be solid 9.8's and you surprised me with free shipping. (worship) I love savage comics

Hell yeah,

This same person_too_unaware_of_social_graces sent me some messages about the 9.6 #1 Walking Dead that I have up for a BIN that is about 30% higher than the last one that ended, but it also has an or best offer.

He messages me twice with why so high and then why so expensive that is like a $100 book.

He then made an offer of like $300 and I responded even ruder than you did telling him that you are about $600 short of what the last one went for, and that my BIN is closer to reality than your lowball offer so please go and F yourself and you are blocked from bidding on my future auctions.

I wonder how much time he has spent sending out these messages. Maybe it's just a joke on his part brought on by boredom. I tried to direct him to completed auctions to see what some books were going for, but he completely ignored that.

No, there are a lot of people out there who are off their meds or who were never put on meds who should have been and they act accordingly. The anonymity of the interweb and there being no risk of being smacked upside their heads for being annoying give them free reign to drive the rest of us crazy. These folks go to comic shows too. They're the ones who bend every comic in half as they go through the boxes and then never buy anything.

As to this question:

Different type of message. He's not offering to buy anything. He's just sending messages criticizing my pricing and accusing me of ripping people off because of it. If i have a $500 book and someone offers $5 then i will usually counter with $499. It's a simple and satisfying way to resolve that situation. He's not bartering. He's not making an offer. He's sending messages just to talk trash. I catered to his ridiculousness the first few times, but then decided it was time to change gears.

I would not think so.

As to this question:

Different type of message. He's not offering to buy anything. He's just sending messages criticizing my pricing and accusing me of ripping people off because of it. If i have a $500 book and someone offers $5 then i will usually counter with $499. It's a simple and satisfying way to resolve that situation. He's not bartering. He's not making an offer. He's sending messages just to talk trash. I catered to his ridiculousness the first few times, but then decided it was time to change gears.

I would not think so.

Nuff said.

Exactly...he's a heckler, not a customer.

He's the kid on the skateboard outside your store flipping you off through the window. You've got every right to remove him from the premises anyway you see fit.

He's not making an offer. He's sending messages just to talk trash. I catered to his ridiculousness the first few times, but then decided it was time to change gears.

I think if you block someone on eBay, they can't send you messages at all? Am I correct?

Not by just adding them to your blocked bidder list. He still sent me a message after i blocked him.

He's not making an offer. He's sending messages just to talk trash. I catered to his ridiculousness the first few times, but then decided it was time to change gears.

I think if you block someone on eBay, they can't send you messages at all? Am I correct?