• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Dolt of the day

107 posts in this topic

Did nobody read the message this clown is sending? He isn't a customer as those of us who have received messages from him have stated.

If you throw a $1000 book up on eBay and I offer you $100 do you consider me a legit customer? I wouldn't.

Here's yet another fine example of the wonderful questions i get on a daily basis.

This guy is my favorite today. Copy/pasted for your viewing pleasure:

Dear savagecomics,

Why the hell would this book be 20 it was being sold for 6 at image expo 3 weeks ago.oh and how many have you sold im sure none. What told you it was 20 bucks!

- isaiahc1

(!) The Walking Dead #49 1st print NM low print

Item Id: 140689651242

End time: Mar-26-12 13:33:59 PDT

Buyer:

isaiahc1 (0)

0.0% Positive Feedback

Member since Mar-04-12 in United States

My response:

Thank you sir for your interest in this book. Kill yourself.

Sincerely, SavageComics

Why would the sarcasm in your question, elicite anything other than a sarcastic reply? (shrug)

edit* It certainly not the way I would respond, I would simply ignore the person asking the question, but "to each his own".

I find it strange that people running business', respond to potential customers in such manner.

I have never owned a business, but I always thought that you don't burn bridges with customers. They may be total azz's, but they talk to others that may not be, and responses such as those above are just not good business sense.

But if it does your heart good and you don't mind the occasional bad mouthing (word of mouth), then run your business your way.

I would just politely say "no", or not even respond. A "kill yourself" or "fist yourself" response is just not good business sense. Why do it? Self satisfaction?

If you were selling a $2,000.00 book here and I sent you a PM with a lowball offer of $1,200.00, would you tell me to go fist myself? Or just say "no, but I can go down to $1,850.00".

I'm curious as to your answer.

This hobby is all about trying to get the best deal you can, and some will difinitely insult you with their methods of "bargaining or bartering". But still.... business models are pretty standard that you don't insult. You just stand firm or negotiate.

Would Coca Cola, McDonalds or even CGC, EVER respond to a citizen with "kill yourself" or "fist yourself"? For any reason?

I would not think so.

I 100% agree with this statement. If this was a regular 9-5 job, responding in such a fashion would probably be grounds for dismissal.

But what if you were a seller and a guy started a thread on a message board saying you were a predatory seller? (shrug)

lol

I put a question/opinion out there to get a feel of what the collecting community thought. That word only came out in discussion with one of the members.

And we're all welcome to our opinion, I'd like to see you defend your without the grade school insults.

(thumbs u

I find it strange that people running business', respond to potential customers in such manner.

I have never owned a business, but I always thought that you don't burn bridges with customers. They may be total azz's, but they talk to others that may not be, and responses such as those above are just not good business sense.

But if it does your heart good and you don't mind the occasional bad mouthing (word of mouth), then run your business your way.

I would just politely say "no", or not even respond. A "kill yourself" or "fist yourself" response is just not good business sense. Why do it? Self satisfaction?

If you were selling a $2,000.00 book here and I sent you a PM with a lowball offer of $1,200.00, would you tell me to go fist myself? Or just say "no, but I can go down to $1,850.00".

This hobby is all about trying to get the best deal you can, and some will difinitely insult you with their methods of "bargaining or bartering". But still.... business models are pretty standard that you don't insult. You just stand firm or negotiate.

Would Coca Cola, McDonalds or even CGC, EVER respond to a citizen with "kill yourself" or "fist yourself"? For any reason?

I would not think so.

Right on! (thumbs u

+1 uncool response. let other lose their heads...keep yours.

I answer hundreds of e-mails/messages a week. Often times answering questions for people who aren't going to buy anything. It's cool. I enjoy sharing knowledge with people when i have it. What i don't enjoy doing is feeding trolls. That's what this guy was doing. He was just sending multiple messages with borderline insulting comments about pricing and accusing me of ripping people off for selling books above cover price. The first three messages, i responded with courtesy and attempted to explain my reasoning. Then after i fed the troll a couple of times he sent the message at the top of the thread. I responded the way i did. Childish? Maybe a little. I can do without the "business" of a 0 feedback bidder who sends messages to multiple dealers just to talk trash.

block him bro

I realize it does sound a teensy bit harsh..... It's like his 4th question today though and he's getting progressively more insulting. All of the other messages were pretty boring because i was being courteous. I figured i would spice it up a little.

For sure, run your business the way you want. I only reference how any well run successful business would react. I am positive that any reputable business school in the country would not teach nor endorse your stated responses.

I quote the above to illustrate how you decided to "spice things up", and not conduct business in a professional manner (IMO), as I see other reputable business' have done during my life.

But, like I said previously. You run your business the way you want. I know there is a "certain satisfaction" to responding in a fashion that insults back. But in business, you just don't do that. Could be that is why I have been in this comic book collecting game for a very long time and have never heard of "Savage Comics".

Imagine telling your boss to go fist himself, after he insults a work project you completed. (I am assuming selling comic books is not your primary job, but I could easily be wrong on that)

I'm just sayin'.

No matter what our difference of opinion on this subject is though. I wish you all the best in your business and work.

[ The anonymity of the interweb and there being no risk of being smacked upside their heads for being annoying give them free reign to drive the rest of us crazy.

I agree, its the anonymity that makes all these kind of things possible. Face to face in realtime changes peoples vocabulary. One could take the position that since this is the understood rules of the virtual world, anonymity cuts both ways, and so you should expect that if you are going to take advantage of anonymity to be obnoxious you run the risk of getting it back.

My only worry would be if an ebay member getting that kind of reply reported it to ebay whether they wouldn't take his side against the seller.

I realize it does sound a teensy bit harsh..... It's like his 4th question today though and he's getting progressively more insulting. All of the other messages were pretty boring because i was being courteous. I figured i would spice it up a little.

For sure, run your business the way you want. I only reference how any well run successful business would react. I am positive that any reputable business school in the country would not teach nor endorse your stated responses.

I quote the above to illustrate how you decided to "spice things up", and not conduct business in a professional manner (IMO), as I see other reputable business' have done during my life.

But, like I said previously. You run your business the way you want. I know there is a "certain satisfaction" to responding in a fashion that insults back. But in business, you just don't do that. Could be that is why I have been in this comic book collecting game for a very long time and have never heard of "Savage Comics".

Imagine telling your boss to go fist himself, after he insults a work project you completed. (I am assuming selling comic books is not your primary job, but I could easily be wrong on that)

I'm just sayin'.

No matter what our difference of opinion on this subject is though. I wish you all the best in your business and work.

This is well said, it would be great if we could all have rational discourse.

But what the hell, I'm sure insulting other people with differing opinions feels great.

:)

I respect your opinion on this, i just don't think we are talking about the same thing. It's more akin to a comedian handling a heckler than a big corporation being blatantly insulting to its customer base. This guy's goal is to be a nuisance. I wasn't really mad about it or anything, i just thought my response was kind of funny.

I'm just sayin'.

I would not think so.

I 100% agree with this statement. If this was a regular 9-5 job, responding in such a fashion would probably be grounds for dismissal.

But what if you were a seller and a guy started a thread on a message board saying you were a predatory seller? (shrug)

lol

I put a question/opinion out there to get a feel of what the collecting community thought. That word only came out in discussion with one of the members.

And we're all welcome to our opinion, I'd like to see you defend your without the grade school insults.

(thumbs u

That's a grade school insult? Is it at least middle school? How is that an insult at all?

What I was doing was not an insult, I was pointing out what might be a contradiction, but what is certainly an interesting juxtaposition of expecting one person to withhold from making a negative comment towards someone clearly out to antagonize them while at the same time calling a seller's actions ( a seller whose only crime seems to be an asking price you feel is too high) "predatory" in the midst of a simultaneous thread on the same page of the same message board.

I would not think so.

lol

(thumbs u

That's a grade school insult? Is it at least middle school? How is that an insult at all?

What I was doing was not an insult, I was pointing out what might be a contradiction, but what is certainly an interesting juxtaposition of expecting one person to withhold from making a negative comment towards someone clearly out to antagonize them while at the same time calling a seller's actions ( a seller whose only crime seems to be an asking price you feel is too high) "predatory" in the midst of a simultaneous thread on the same page of the same message board.

As I said, I think there's a huge difference between having the opinion that a specific action is predatory and telling someone to go kill themselves. If you don't see that, well what can I say.

If the Governor of NJ can stick by calling a former Navy Seal Rutgers student an "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" (and I admit, some of his comments kind of sound idiotic even giving the benefit of the doubt to a combat vet) in a public forum, then this doesn't seem too bad.

If the Governor of NJ can stick by calling a former Navy Seal Rutgers student an "insufficiently_thoughtful_person" (and I admit, some of his comments kind of sound idiotic even giving the benefit of the doubt to a combat vet) in a public forum, then this doesn't seem too bad.

I suspect Christie wouldn't react to well to being called a fat .

What do you think?

What do you think?

He'd yell "I'm the Governor" and then eat whoever called him the name.

I would not think so.

I'd like to hear what the security guard tells you when you go to coca-cola's corporate headquarters and ask to buy a coke for 5 cents. Not once, not twice, but several times over and over.

For that matter, go try and barter for a big mac at mcdonalds - not once, not twice, but several times over. See how much patience that underpaid/overworked shift manager has with you. "Business practices" go out the window when you're dealing with someone who has become belligerent.

Business owners do not have to cater to belligerence, or annoyance either. Could he lose business? Possibly. There are more tactful ways to handle guys like this, but sometimes due to the veil of the internet people feel invincible and that being annoying is an acceptable bargaining strategy.

What do you think?

He'd yell "I'm the Governor" and then eat whoever called him the name.

I think he would start off like Jewels in Pulp Fiction.

"Oh is that your burger? Do you mind if I take a bite of your big Kahuna burger? Could I wash the burger down with your refreshing drink?"

And then end with:

"English, Mother F'er, do you speak it?" And then unload in semi-auto into the torso of the originator of the comment.

Eloquently put.

I would not think so.

I'd like to hear what the security guard tells you when you go to coca-cola's corporate headquarters and ask to buy a coke for 5 cents. Not once, not twice, but several times over and over.

For that matter, go try and barter for a big mac at mcdonalds - not once, not twice, but several times over. See how much patience that underpaid/overworked shift manager has with you. "Business practices" go out the window when you're dealing with someone who has become belligerent.

Business owners do not have to cater to belligerence, or annoyance either. Could he lose business? Possibly. There are more tactful ways to handle guys like this, but sometimes due to the veil of the internet people feel invincible and that being annoying is an acceptable bargaining strategy.

I would not think so.

Or to equate those examples to the current example...go to Mickey D's and don't barter for the Big Mac, just tell them that's it's only worth a dime and ask them what's so special about their Big Mac, over and over and over again.

Elijah's pester-er didn't even want to buy anything, he wanted to bemoan, berate and complain.